Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, Although this has nothing to do with Rugers, I thought some of you might be interested in it. I had lunch at one of the most unique old time pharmacy type places today. This place is a relic of a simpler time. I happened to be traveling just north of St. Louis MO. and stopped in a little town about 30 miles north called Lebanon Illinois. At the end of a spectacular, old time, brick, Main Street USA, just past the tiny local police dept bldg,is a restored pharmacy with soda fountain bar called Dr. Jazz Soda Fountain. They still serve "phosphates", pop to some of you, soda to others. They had about 15 types of syrup, rootbeer, lime and grape were a few I had to sample. The people were friendly and took the time to talk to you a bit, and were genuinely interested in talking to you about what the place was and why it was there. They had a phone booth with an earpiece reciever and hard mounted mouthpiece that had a note on it that said, to make sure your call was connected before inserting coins! Maybe this will be old hat to some of you, but I'm not old enough to remember places as good as this. I certainly haven't seen anything like it in my home state of Maine. If anyone is interested here's a link to their website with some great pictures. http://www.drjazzsodafountain.com/about.asp I know this sounds like an advertisement but it's not, I just thought if any of you were ever traveling in the area, it might appeal to the type of men here on the forum. To me, this one represents a bit of what we are lacking today, and conjures up thoughts of what seems to have been a simpler and more civilized age.:)

-Hammer

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks hammer, I can remember something similar to that not sure about the phone booth. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures and knowing that life was simpler back then well simpler than now any way.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sounds like a great place to visit. I remember the old soda fountains with the soda 'jerk'. There was one in Julian, CA. Wonder if it's still there. I remember my Uncle and I sitting up at the counter in the one on Kings Highway, Shreveport, LA. Having a hamburger with home made fries, and a soda.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There is an original Italian marble soda fountain drug store and pharmacy, named Edgar's, in Elk Point, SD. They have Blue Bunny ice cream and all of the fizzes and phosphates too. Nice place for a Sunday drive. Just north of Sioux City, IA on I-29 about 20 miles. Nice place.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, if I'm ever in Lebanon, IL, I know where I'm going.

When I was a kid, we had a local Rexall drug store and it was much like the above.

My favorite drinks were vanilla phosphates and green rivers.

Thanks for the memories, hammer

Skunk

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
When I was in high school I worked behind the counter as a "jerk". Did it for two years, think
the pay was .75 cents an hour. We even made our own chocolate syrup in the back room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts