Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range Sunday for a Steel Challenge match and was all set to shoot my Black Mamba. Got to the first stage and my brand new battery was dead. I tested it before I left the house and it worked but no dot.

Fortunately one of my friends on my squad offered me his backup gun, a Mark III Target. He gave me 7 magazines all loaded up with Mini Mags and wanted to even give me ammo for the match.

I had a bunch of Norma Tac 22 ammo so I chose to shoot that and it worked pretty well. I had a few failures to extract and was told the ammo was probably too light. I wasn't shooting for a car so I was just having fun.

The Target model is very accurate. Throughout the day I was making hits like I haven't done in 10 years. I offered to buy it but he said no.

I'm going to give him two new magazines next month as a thank you.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I had one for several years and really enjoyed it. I loaded it with Volquartsen parts, which made it shoot better than new.
Actually so good I found it boring at times. Some will disagree, but I thought the bull barrel gave it better balance for a steadier grip.

·
Registered
699 Posts
A mark lll was my first purchase way back when my son passed the DNR gun safety class thru scouts. After two visits to the range with him, it became very clear that I needed another for myself. I bought the Mark lll Target . Been in the safe for years now. They ate just about anything you fed them. Maybe one or two ftf or fee's per box of 500's. Had thought about the Mark lv, but still just a thought at this point.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,467 Posts
So glad a fellow competitor came through for you. Battery operated sights will fail, but at least it's just an annoyance on a match gun. Now you know what your personal back up gun should be. Actually I know you have one because you have posted match results when the Mamba was in the shop. I guess you left it at home this trip.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
MKIII Target model was my first 22 back in 2004 and second gun ever. Bought a KP90DC and soon figured out 45 ACP ain't cheap. Got a 22 for kicks and love it. Got one of the earliest models that has the red eagle magazine baseplates.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've got a Mark III with a 5" bull barrel and it is a joy to shoot and it is more accurate than I can shoot it. I had a scope in it for a while and took it off when my granddaughter came down from Naperville to shoot (it will be hers when she moves out of Illinois)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
If a "Mark" is on your wish list list, go for the Mark II. It has everything you need,
and nothing you don't need. IMHO of course.
The Mark III has the 1911 style mag release. The only plus over a Mark II, and a few negatives. The LCI and mag safety, but they can be dealt with.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
The Mark series has a smooth design that looks like the 1911. it’s not the cheapest 22 pistol so on my wish list and saving up for it.

Attachments

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
You talking about the 22/45?
I would say both Mark and 22/45.
I didn’t mean necessarily resembling the 1911 but they have smooth lines like the 1911.

Reactions: jeepnut711

·
Registered
542 Posts
I love to shoot .22s as much now as I did when I was 12. I got my first Mark II way back in the early '80s ... a full house Clark MK II Bullseye gun. I did so well at NRA Silhouettes that they banned my gun because it has a Douglas barrel, not a stock Ruger barrel. So, I took it to the Bullseye match where it was allowed without any issues.

Later I picked up a MK II Government Model. I added William's Fire-Sights (a BIG improvement), a Hogue grip and a Majestic mag release. It's still one of my favorite shooters today ... it makes every range trip.

And back in early 2020, just before the gun world went crazy, I found a new MK IV Competition Model in the case at my LGS and had to have it. I have a nice stock of .22 ammo and always take a couple to the range.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts