Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GP100 had some trouble. Ruger fixed it promptly. One reason why I bought the gun was the extremely smooth trigger. They replaced a bunch of parts and smoothed out the trigger for me. It's even better than when I first bought it despite the 14# hammer spring.

Here is a target I shot at five yards. Ammo was PMC Bronze 38 Special FMJ. The outside diameter of the target is two inches. The right two were fired rapidly, almost as I can with a semi-auto. I credit my instructor, who tweaked my trigger reset technique such that I no longer mess up the follow-up shot. I couldn't shoot a centerfire revolver like this prior to the class.

The target in PDF format is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
You are right, the GP-100's are some fantastic revolvers. Looks like you did some good shooting, and with the training you done, with practice, you will only get better! Ray

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Great shooting with a great gun! You are doing exactly what you should...training! Way to go!!:D

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
I agree, GP100s are great revolvers. Looks like your training money was well spent too.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Agree 100%. The GP is a simply outstanding revolver. Kudos. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,043 Posts
I haven't shot my GP100 yet..........

·
Premium Member
14,043 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yes great gun!

·
Registered
389 Posts
My GP100 digests any and all ammunition that I make or buy for it. It is an awesome gun and I love it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Expecting my new GP100 within the next few days.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Love my GP100's! Back off to 10 yards and you'll find that it's just as accurate.
Rangerdeepv what are you waiting for? Find another range!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Expecting my new GP100 within the next few days.
Good on 'ya, mate! I think you'll find it a very good revolver. Do you really say, "fair dinkum" there? I think it applies to Ruger value for money.

Which barrel length are you getting? I gather that you can't carry handguns there; they're just for range use, not even for home defense?

I think Queensland cops used to have some Rugers. Is that true, do you know, and which model?

As for the man who asked why would one shoot .38 Specials in a .357: they have less blast and recoil and gun life is longer. The .357 is mainly for defense outdoors or hunting game of suitable size. The .38 Special, esp. in Plus P loads when needed, is plenty for snakes and small game. I might load .357 ammo if I lived in Florida or elsewhere that I might encounter really big pythons or boas. I'd also probably load Magnum ammo if I lived around Nile monitor lizards or other large members of the genus Varanus. Reptiles sometimes take some serious killing. This includes alligators and other crocodilians. I once saw a man bitten by a small black caiman, and I'm glad that it was his hand that was chomped; not mine! Also saw a hand that had been through an Emerald Tree Boa's mouth. Not pretty, but that snake could have been cleanly killed with .38 ammo, although they get bigger than that six or seven footer. I'd also prefer .357 power on coyotes, esp. the larger ones. And on javelinas and larger wild pigs.

But the versatility of the .357 is that it can be loaded to take rabbits or much larger animals. It is probably as good a "stopper" on men as exists.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I know that shooting the 38 is much easier but I like to train with the ammo I will be using. IMHO if one shoots 38's most of the time they will not be used the characteristics of the 357. Now I shoot mainly 158's at about 1250 fps not a super hot load. I have shoot about 1000 125's at about 1400 to 1450, but I tend to prefer the 158's.

the 125's seem to be slightly snappier --- the 158's push more in the hand. I really didn't see much diference in shooting these two rounds other their point of impact. Both are great rounds.

I do plan to try 170 grain at some point.

I shoot mainly security six's and have no worries about gun longevity. I think the gp100 would be passed down generations of shooting 357's with no ill effects. After all, its the second generation of the security six and built somewhat beefier.

still 38's are super soft, fun to shoot and make an excellent option.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I'm new here thanks for having me. Not new to Ruger though and picked up my GP100 stainless a few hours ago. I must say after firing some 38's and a few 357's this will become my favorite. Wow!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts