Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very ,very painful. they say it is inherited just like other traits. never had a problem with pain until 1998 ,when gout came to visit. im not one to take a lot of medicine. does anybody on this forum have a remedy that they have tried,if they have gout? I can tell when I eat shellfish. jumps on me whithin minutes. needless to say, I dont eat shrimp anymore.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I take Ibuprofen (Advil) and drink LOTS of water. This will reduce the inflammation and help clean the uric acid crystals out of your system. There is stuff called Indomethecin that is specifically designed to reduce the inflammation of gout. I've tried cherries, stayed off alcohol, didn't eat rich foods, and nothing seemed to work, but when I feel gout coming on I down a big horse-pill ibuprofen and a vicodin and then drink lots of water and it isn't so bad then. If you don't like pills then give water a try. Don't take aspirin as it's an acid and can make it worse. Tylenol is a pain killer, so that may help too.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Check with your Doctor. I had it and had to take Allopurinol for years to regulate my Uric Acid. Funny thing is after taking medication for years about 3 years ago I quit taking it and have been bothered with it since.

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doctor has told me that water is the remedy. lots of it. cant take ibuprophen because of stomach bleeding. black cherry juice keeps it under control till i forget to drink it a few times a week. colchicine gets it out ....after a few days of the runs.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Help me out, guys...I plead ignorance...I knew gout caused swelling and pain, but the runs? Is that colchicine a bitter or acid medecine? I've never known anyone with gout personally to become familiar with it...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
KP97DC
- if you've been bothered with it since, time to get back on the meds.
Sheepdog, it was the meds that caused the runs, not the gout.
That stuff hurts like the dickens. Feels like the knees are being shredded with tiny knives and needles. Only had it once and I hope never again.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A couple of the men I worked with suffered from gout at times. Really painful according to them. Some years back I had an excess of uric acid showing in my system and some aches but never any specific problems. Seems like my diet had to be changed somewhat but it's been a while and I don't remember any medication but I was taking quite a few different meds at the time for other problems and hell, when you get my age you just got to accept a few aches and pains as normal. Everything seems to be OK now except I gotta watch my weight and diet due to cholesterol that gets out of hand. I can't take ibuprofen or aspirin due to one of the BP pills I take. Although most other pain meds don't bother me much I don't like to take them, I just use a generic store brand acetaminophen tablets (cheaper Tylenol) for aches and pain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

KP97DC
That stuff hurts like the dickens. Feels like the knees are being shredded with tiny knives and needles. Only had it once and I hope never again.
Is it confined only to the knees? I seem to recall people's complaints claiming symtoms in their toes.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ruger_n_NC

quote:Originally posted by jimbo1096

KP97DC
Is it confined only to the knees? I seem to recall people's complaints claiming symtoms in their toes.
The toes is where I had it the worst. Jimbo, I made a typo that my spelling checker didn't catch. I meant to say I haven't had it since. It is very painful and medication will help lots.

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mrb

doctor has told me that water is the remedy. lots of it. cant take ibuprophen because of stomach bleeding. black cherry juice keeps it under control till i forget to drink it a few times a week. colchicine gets it out ....after a few days of the runs.
I've suffered with gout for many years. 25/30 to be exact. Fortunately colchesin and Indomethacin work well on me and haven't had an attack since I've been on them. I currently use Indomethacin only. Naprocin also works well. Not the OTC stuff, the prescription stuff. However, as you already have problems with bleeding, none of these I mentioned will do you any good as they are all hard on the stomach. You may be able to get away with Naprocin if you only take it on a full stomach. As one post said, drink LOTS of water and stay away from high protein foods such as red meats. Also, fats and alcohol are contributors. I've had it long enough to recognize early warning signs and should they occur, I go very heavy on the water and cut back my protein intake. I consume very little alcohol so that's not a factor. That takes care of it literally within 12 hours or so. Once you have an acute attack, it's a real problem if you can't take the right meds. Up your water intake, cut your protein and fat intake and learn the early warning signs and you'll be OK. I feel for you, I've had enough acute attacks to know what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

Check with your Doctor. I had it and had to take Allopurinol for years to regulate my Uric Acid. Funny thing is after taking medication for years about 3 years ago I quit taking it and have been bothered with it since.
I have had exactly the same experience! About 10 years ago, on the advice of a new doctor, I stopped the Allopurinal. I drink more water.;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
[/quote]

Is it confined only to the knees? I seem to recall people's complaints claiming symptoms in their toes.
[/quote]
Gout can affect any joint, but it most commonly affects the knees, the big toe joint, the foot, and the ankle (gravity dependant). The uric acid crystal looks like a medieval spiked ball and it tears up the joint. Even the weight of air can cause excruciating pain. I've had to crawl around on my knees because I couldn't even walk to the bathroom, and the bouncing of my foot felt like I'd been hit with a sledgehammer.

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
COFFEE POT.....I know that the weight of a sheet on my toe will find me lookin for a butcher knife. colchicine dosage is ....Take it as prescribed untill vomiting or severe diarrhea occurs. If it is not gout that is causing the pain ,colchicine wont work. Black cherry juice is good for maintenence if you can get it whithout all the additives. kinda strong tastin...cut it with a little water or apple juice.

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hits me about 2 or 3 times a year. gotta jump on it quick to get it out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Cherry juice and cherries is the best cure other than meds. Sometimes it even works Better than medicine.
I have had gout off and on for several years. It is really a form of arthritis you know. I have that pretty bad too.
Shellfish will cause it to act up without a doubt. I had five small shrimp in a fajita once and woke up in pain the following day.
Any injury to any joint can bring it on too. Drop a book on your foot, tomorrow you have gout. Bump your knee on the desk, any little injury will make it act up
When my gout starts acting up, I can’t play guitar or drums.

I do have a prescription for when it gets inflamed. It is called INDOMETHACIN. You do have to take it with food or it will really give you pains in your stomach.

Uric acid forms crystals in the blood, which settles in joints. It’s like hundreds of super-sharp needles sticking into the tendons and nerves. People who had never experienced can not believe how painful it really is.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Originally posted by KP97DC
quote:The toes is where I had it the worst. Jimbo, I made a typo that my spelling checker didn't catch. I meant to say I haven't had it since. It is very painful and medication will help lots.
Was just giving you a hard time. I've learned to read what people really meant to say- been married too long not to.[}:)]

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my beloved uncle was a doctor. he has recently passed away. he had told me not to load up too much on turkey,bar-b-q,shellfish,butter beans or peas. The only food i can definetly point to is shellfish and bar-b-q. summer time means a lot of fluids when you work outside in the heat. i got a bad habit of downing a quart of tea twice a day, instead of water.

·
Registered
694 Posts
As they say, different things "set it off"....it usually for me is ANY shellfish, rootbeer ,can't be alchohol, as I really don't drink any.........my Doc said any "purine" foods,stuff made of the innards of beef (tripe, sausage, etc.) again, I cannot remember the last time we ate 'tripe' ugh.........
allopurinol is what we've been taking, for some years now and would be afraid to stop, as I do NOT want to get ANY 'attack' of gout in the near future....for us, it's in the large toe, when it does...............
so stay away from booze, sausage, and shrimp, and I should be alright.......lots of water too

·
Count Ursunk
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lots of water.....i have found out that a tub of hot water works for fast relief. when you get out....its back onya though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts