Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a S&W Model69 Combat Magnum 44 Magnum Because I wanted a double action 44 Special and this fit the bill. I was going to convert my GP-100 to 44 Special but custom conversions are pricey! Does anyone think that a GP sized 44 Special/magnum would sell? Would anyone ,other than m,e, think this would make a fine field carry gun with a 4 to 4,5 inch barrel?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I think that the GP100 would work for 5 shot .44 mag/.44 Special, but it seems like to me you already have a very fine revolver. I have heard very good on the S&W Model 69 .44 Magnum!!!

·
Administrator
22,163 Posts
I think the 44 Special cartridge would make an excellent 5 shot revolver. If you want a 44 mag step up to a Redhawk.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've been wanting a 44 special GP-100 for such a long time! I don't know if we'll ever see this offering but I will continue to hope. I think it would sell well. Just look at the Blackhawks. At first they were just dist. Exclusives, but now they are catalogued items.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So how do you like the M69 Combat Magnum?
I'm very close to ordering one...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,055 Posts
The Super Redhawk is a GP100 on steroids ... a truly excellent 44 Mag DA revolver. I guess I don't understand why someone would want a 44 on a 357 frame when Ruger already makes the SRH and RH in several configurations that are hell for strong ????

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
From personal experience, I can tell you that when you drop below 40 ounces in a 44 mag revolver, recoil does become more of an issue, all the more so if you plan to shoot heavy 44 mag loads. There is a price you pay for going lighter and smaller. Been there, done that. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that there are trade offs involved.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The cylinder can hold 6 rounds of 41 Special, but going to 5 for the magnum thickens the chamber walls. The possible deal breaker is making the GP100's forcing cone wall too thin for Ruger's liking, especially if Bubba is going to recut it to 11 degrees for lead.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I also have a Model 69. I do not find the recoil with heavy magnum loads to tough to handle for a few cylinders of shooting. It is fast becoming one of my most favorite to carry revolvers. Very easy carrying and power to spare when needed. For me the trade off for carrying is well worth the trade off in terms of recoil. With mid level magnum loads it is a pleasure to shoot and going through 50 or more rounds is no problem.

To get back to the point of this thread I think a 44 magnum GP would sell very well. The Model 69 after 2 years of production is still not easy to find. That tells me their is a lot of demand out there for a easy carrying powerhouse. The great thing about it is if the shooter can use it for the Specials if they want but the ability to step up to the magnum is only a reload away. I think Ruger could sell loads of a GP 5 shot 44 magnum and if they were to also offer it in 41 they would go one up on S&W and capture that segment too.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you want a DA Ruger 44 then there is the Redhawk and Super Redhawk series. Probably not enough profit in it for Ruger to design and produce such a niche gun.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would love to see a GP in .44 Magnum. I assume it would come in around the Model 69 at 38 oz. I don't think recoil for most loads would be too bad as had a Smith 629 Mtn. Gun that weighed about 38 oz. that was manageable. Of course if one is planning on shooting some 340 grain "bear loads" most anything would have some serious recoil.

I see the market as being for someone not looking so much for a hunting handgun as one for carrying. If one lived in Montana or N. Idaho I could see a use for those out and about fishing, hiking, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a Model 69. I do not find the recoil with heavy magnum loads to tough to handle for a few cylinders of shooting. It is fast becoming one of my most favorite to carry revolvers. Very easy carrying and power to spare when needed. For me the trade off for carrying is well worth the trade off in terms of recoil. With mid level magnum loads it is a pleasure to shoot and going through 50 or more rounds is no problem.

To get back to the point of this thread I think a 44 magnum GP would sell very well. The Model 69 after 2 years of production is still not easy to find. That tells me their is a lot of demand out there for a easy carrying powerhouse. The great thing about it is if the shooter can use it for the Specials if they want but the ability to step up to the magnum is only a reload away. I think Ruger could sell loads of a GP 5 shot 44 magnum and if they were to also offer it in 41 they would go one up on S&W and capture that segment too.
Man, a GP in 3" .41 mag would be a dream carry gun for sure!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I like to shoot my handguns. I think the Redhawk is fine for carrying in the wilderness. After all one is not usually carrying it concealed. I don't mind a little recoil, a GP in .44 would be more than the RedHawks.
I use to carry a Walther PPS. It shot very accurate but the grip was small and it wasn't enjoyable shooting after 40 to 50 rounds. I changed to a RAMI with the double stacked mag and metal over the polymer. Very enjoyable to shoot.
If Ruger ever makes a GP .44 I would definitely give it a try to see. Who knows?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I own a Smith 69 and it is an L or 41 frame revolver. Smith completely redid the barrel and forcing cone area in the frame to make the revolver strong enough to shoot 44 Magnums. The bore axis is lower and recoil is easier to handle for me anyway.

They are very accurate.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Academy is selling Charter Arms 44 spl's for $369.99!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I almost bought a 69 but went with the 629 4in after they shot me the same sale price that they had on the 69--- I guess they must have wanted to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I almost bought a 69 but went with the 629 4in after they shot me the same sale price that they had on the 69--- I guess they must have wanted to get rid of it.
The 629 is a very different choice, N-frame versus L-frame, 6 shot versus 5, a bit much for carry versus made to be carried.

Either way, the 629 is a great gun, although 4" is getting down to where the gun could be pretty brutal (not fun) to shoot in magnum. I have a 5" 629-8 and a 6" 629-1. The 69 interests me, since for some reason, given time to aim and squeeze, I shoot better with 44 Magnum. I guess I touch it off with more finesse. That is on the range and may not translate well to a carry gun, which for me is usually something more tame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts