Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GP-100 first time out - 237 rounds later

All I can say is wow. I finally got some range time today and I am a believer. My GP-100 3" performed outstanding. I brought a box of .38 out and really gave her a good breaking in.

At first I was always a little low on my sight. Missing right in front of our assortment of plastic jugs. After about four reloads I started hitting my mark with consistency. Later on I started trying to acquire my target faster and with less pause. I always overshot the first couple and made my mark with the last four. The three inch barrel adjusts with very little hand movement.

I did get to try out some .357 in her and she handled them without a problem. I am sure I could have put a lot of .357 through this GP-100 and it would have asked for more.

Now to save up for another box so I can do it again. What a great first outing. Ruger, you make a mighty fine revolver.
:cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
you could pound 357's out of a ruger for a long time before it has problems

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of got that feeling, Bud. :D

I also shot my buddies S&W .357 Performance Center. All though the 4" barrel on his felt well balanced, my GP just felt so much better all around. Grip and balance.

All I need to do now is lighten my trigger just a bit.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
James, that's a fine revolver and it will last a long time with ordinary care. The shooting low may have been partially the fault with the lower power 38's. How did you do with the .357mags?
A good cleaning and a lot of dry firing will help smooth up the trigger also.

·
Banned
723 Posts
James,

As I look at your post I notice that you have posted 53 times in this forum. Once you get 100 Post you will be able to view the Library and have access to Iowegan's IBOK for the GP100. That's the best gunsmithing information I've found for the Ruger GP100 yet, and very easy to understand.

Have fun with the GP100, they are great guns and have become my favorite .357 Magnum Revolver over the "other" companies offerings. Take care and have fun with your GP100.

Biker

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well Worth it

James: Sir; we are helping you get to that majic 100. Sir; clean your firearm and enjoy.
My shooting partners got on the GP100 wagon because of mine. I didn't bother to tell them the IBOK treatment had taken place. Once they felt theirs out; we IBOK'ed theirs as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
James i took my sp101 to the range today and like you i am really impressed with ruger revolvers i was getting great groups double action which i can normally not do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
James thats the only think with Ruger the smith triggers are so much better then ya get into the performance center and they get better yet..

I just dont under stand why ruger does have something like a performance center as every other maker does.. after a lot of shooting or a spring kit the ruger starts getting like a smith .. But only a full on trigger Job will get it there.. now if you could get the built like a tank and trigger of the smith out of a box that would be excellent

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 4" SS version ... that thing is a wonderful revolver ... just wish I had more time too shoot it

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a pair of the 4" one blued and one stainless. I am very pleased with both of them. Like rtmpgh, I wish I had more time to shoot them. Been hinting for a 6" stainless version for the upcoming father's day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I didn't think much of the GP100 until my son forced me to shoot his. A week later I had a 4" stainless. I've thoroughly enjoyed shooting the revolver. The only poor shooting with this handgun is from the shooter having an off day. My only problem is that I have other handguns I enjoy shooting so it has to wait its turn.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
James,

As I look at your post I notice that you have posted 53 times in this forum. Once you get 100 Post you will be able to view the Library and have access to Iowegan's IBOK for the GP100. That's the best gunsmithing information I've found for the Ruger GP100 yet, and very easy to understand.
I'm working my way there, Biker. I can't wait to get to the IBOK. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
James i took my sp101 to the range today and like you i am really impressed with ruger revolvers i was getting great groups double action which i can normally not do.
I think my hold back on DA accuracy was mostly inexperience. Some was the new trigger, but mostly it was the learning curve. I actually shot better one handed. I guess I loosened up better that way. :confused:

James thats the only think with Ruger the smith triggers are so much better then ya get into the performance center and they get better yet..

I just dont under stand why ruger does have something like a performance center as every other maker does.. after a lot of shooting or a spring kit the ruger starts getting like a smith .. But only a full on trigger Job will get it there.. now if you could get the built like a tank and trigger of the smith out of a box that would be excellent
Yeah, my buddie's S&W is a beauty too. Big orange front sight. Ported nose. Smooth trigger. However, my GP just fits me and... it's mine. :D

I have the 4" SS version ... that thing is a wonderful revolver ... just wish I had more time too shoot it
I was looking for a 4" when I found this 3" at a gun show. Once I held it in my hands, saw the fixed sight and talked them down to $524 (CA prices are a bear) I knew this was my revolver.

I have a pair of the 4" one blued and one stainless. I am very pleased with both of them. Like rtmpgh, I wish I had more time to shoot them. Been hinting for a 6" stainless version for the upcoming father's day.
One more month to find that 6", wheelgunner. I wish you the best in getting it.

·
Banned
723 Posts
"I was looking for a 4" when I found this 3" at a gun show. Once I held it in my hands, saw the fixed sight and talked them down to $524 (CA prices are a bear) I knew this was my revolver."

Good God man!

That's almost two 3" GP100's in a free state. :)

I paid $350 for mine, almost new and new is only $400.

Biker

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, even though mine was new, it was still a lot of $. However, I couldn't be happier that it's mine. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
James believe what everybody says about the ibok i did it to my sp and it made a huge difference then i changed my springs and it was very close to my smith with the springs changed in it very close.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts