Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
650 Posts
Fiocchi JSP ammo does really well. RNFP with a gas check from cor bon, double tap and other manufacturers does well. If your gun has a 6" barrel you should be OK. I had a bad experience with a 10mm that has about the same amount of energy as a 357 mag. If I am pistol hunting I prefer a 44 mag. The 357 mag is better as a back up to your rifle. 600 ft lb is not real good for deer hunting. You have to be very picky about your shots. You are talking about 1/2 the energy of a 5.56x45.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I'd recommend a minimum 6" barrel length to develop MV, appropriate ammo JSP or LFN, and common sense range of 35-50 yards. I'd keep it to bow hunting ranges, but that's me.

Shot placement will be critical to success.

·
Super Moderator
21,726 Posts
I have used 180 gr JHP handloads in the past that I get decent accuracy with. I'm guessing the hunting you mention is for whitetail so I would step up in weight to the 180's and keep your shots within your 4" accuracy range.

My gun hunting this season will be limited to handgun as I had shoulder surgery in May. My go to will be a Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" with a red dot sight. The patch I hunt will keep all shots within 50 yards so just need to get in some practice and get the SBH zeroed for that range.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't have a GP100 but I do have a 6" Security 6 that I have used to harvest 3 deer, when they walked under my stand, and a couple of deer hit by vehicles, that needed to be put down. The range from my stand to the three deer, (taken one at a time on different days), was about 20"...........robin :)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The .357mag, even in a snubby revolver, will kill deer at moderate ranges.

My wife took a meat doe a few seasons ago with a 2 1/4" SP101 using either 125grn Critical Defense or 140grn Leverevolution - can't recall. She was over 40yrds out of a ground blind.

I wouldn't buy a 357mag with hunting in mind, as it's very range limited. Even in a long barreled revolver, it's a ~75yrd proposition. If you already have a GP100, then sure, but if you're spending money to get a revolver for hunting, get a hunting revolver.

·
Banned
650 Posts

My wife took a meat doe a few seasons ago with a 2 1/4" SP101 using either 125grn Critical Defense or 140grn Leverevolution - can't recall. She was over 40yrds out of a ground blind.

I wouldn't buy a 357mag with hunting in mind, as it's very range limited. Even in a long barreled revolver, it's a ~75yrd proposition. If you already have a GP100, then sure, but if you're spending money to get a revolver for hunting, get a hunting revolver.
More deer have been killed with a 22lr than any other caliber. But that does not mean the 22lr rifle is the best caliber for deer hunting. A hot 357mag load makes around 320 ft lb of energy from a pistol with a 2.25" barrel. About the same as a 22 mag fired from a rifle with a 22" barrel.

I killed a crow with my LCP that was about 40 yards away but that does not mean I am going crow hunting with my LCP.
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
More deer have been killed with a 22lr than any other caliber. But that does not mean the 22lr rifle is the best caliber for deer hunting. A hot 357mag load makes around 320 ft lb of energy from a pistol with a 2.25" barrel. About the same as a 22 mag fired from a rifle with a 22" barrel.

I killed a crow with my LCP that was about 40 yards away but that does not mean I am going crow hunting with my LCP.
BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results
I have the luxury of not needing to worry about Ballistics By the Inch's data, as I have plenty of .357mags of various lengths to collect my own data. Have you ever hunted deer with a 357mag? I have, and have taken a couple dozen deer with 357mags in the last ~20yrs. Lab data and minimum foot-pounds comparisons with 22caliber 5.56x45mm sure didn't mean much when I was putting meat in my freezer. There's a reason, however, that I've taken about 10x as many deer with 44mag and other heavier magnums as I have with 357mags - I like to be able to knock deer off of their feet past 100yrds, and the 357mag just doesn't make that cut.

I think you need to read my post again - we're largely in agreement that the 357mag isn't the best choice for deer hunting, so if you're worried about arguing with someone, you're arguing with yourself.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Do not mess with her lol. I am impressed. Since you mentioned it, the size of deer, assuming we are talking deer hunting, has to be taken into consideration. I wouldn't consider the does i've taken as "meat does", as they were not of any significant size. In that case i believe a .357 is very capable of taking deer. I would not use it because i have hunting rifles and as one member mentioned, no shoulder issues. Very interesting topic. I love the "not meant for" rounds being used in taking game as all calibers essentially are meant for penetrating flesh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I do is handgun hunt....

From little bullets for vermin to the big bores..

The 357 will surprise you at what it can do on medium game.

Most factory ammo is made for two legged critters but some of the heavier 158 and up loads are good.

·
Registered
571 Posts
both or our sons have taken multiple deer with their 357 GP100's with 6" barrels .... they use hand loads consisting of 158 Nosler JHP's pushed by 14.8 grains of W296

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The .357 is such a good all-around handgun that some people will have one on them when a chance shot at game surfaces.

I saw a photo on the Net of a deer's heart that had met a 9mm JHP bullet at unknown range. That heart was a mess, clearly a fatal wound. The .357 is quite a bit more potent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have taken a couple of deer and bears with my 6 inch. Hand loads with 16 grains ov VV N110 and 158 Hornady XTP flat points worked very good on both.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Effectiveness is up to the shooter

I find the 357 mag. GP100 with a 4-6" bbl is more than adequate for medium game. The limiting factor is the shooter. You should confine your shots at anything larger than 100lbs. to a range that you can consistently put three shots in a 4-6" bull. For me that means 40-70 yds, or bow distance.
The cartridge itself is effective far beyond this, but most would need a carbine to hold our groups to 4-6" at 100 yds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
158 xtp-hp over 17g h110 and magnum primer. 6" ss gp half lug iron sights. Shot a doe last year @35yds broadside went 50yds and piled up. Bullet exited with great blood trail. Im addicted now!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts