Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Match Champion that I like very much. The trigger pull was a bit heavy, so I exchanged the stock springs for a Wolff reduced power set. The Hammer Spring is now 12 lbs, and the Trigger return (Guard Latch Spring) is Wolff's 10 lb. item.

While it was apart, I took the opportunity to lightly polish the internals.
The double action trigger pull is now very smooth and lighter, but still exceeds the 8 lb limit of my trigger scale. The single action pull is a consistent 2 3/4 lbs, which is a bit light for my liking.

I am thinking reinstalling the stock 12 lb. trigger return spring, but keeping the 12 lb. hammer spring. That should hopefully raise the single action pull to a more comfortable level, but will it affect the double action trigger pull?

Am I correct? Any suggestions, Ruger Gurus?

I am not enthused about doing this more than once, because the trigger assembly is is a real wollybugger to remove and replace, taking judicious application of a rubber hammer to dis-and reassemble it!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
After multiple times of removing and reinstalling the GP100 trigger group unit, it usually becomes a bit looser in fit (= easier to remove/replace).

Reinstall the stock trigger return spring to see if it increases the SA pull weight a bit.

My old GP100 has a DA pull of 9.5 lbs, and a SA pull of 3 lbs.

I consider a DA revolver trigger pull weight of 9.5 to 10.5 lbs ideal.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Putting back the stock trigger return spring will increase the trigger pull as the spring must be compressed to fire the gun. This
partly determines the single action trigger pull. The sear angle will also determine the single action pull so if changed in the polishing it would have an effect along with the polished surfaces.

As to the double action pull increasing the trigger spring rate will raise the pull as trigger return spring must be compressed when pulling the trigger.

As to removing the trigger assembly I have had two that were really wedged in. I took some crocus cloth on a flat background and polished the end of the trigger spring plunger where it contacts the frame. I also lightly stoned the contact surface in the frame. This made assembly notably easier along with disassembly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I mentioned above, I installed Wolff's 12 lb hammer spring, and the 10 lb trigger return/latch spring. Great Double action pull, but the single action trigger pull was 2 3/4 lbs, a bit light for my personal comfort, especially shooting with gloves on.

I replaced the stock 12 lb factory return spring and tried the Wolff 10 lb hammer spring, The Single action pull was then 4 3/4 lbs. and the double action pull is definitely heavier than before.
I then tried the Wolff 9 lb hammer spring, which lowered the SA pull to 4 1/2 lbs. The question is NOW WHAT?

I am thinking that reinstalling the 10 lb Wolff return spring, and raising the hammer spring weights from its present 9 lbs to 10, 12, or even to the factory's original 14 lbs may bring the system closer to what I would like.

Hopefully, I will find a combination that will do what I would like, without the inexact practice of cutting springs. If not, probably I can learn to live with a light SA pull. Any suggestions?

Firescout; It is becoming easier to remove and install the trigger group.
Thanx!:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I installed the 8# trigger return spring and the 12# hammer spring and my DA trigger pull is 8# (10# spring wasn't reliable enough for competition). Since this is a DA revolver I don't care what the SA pull is, hardly ever shoot single action, have a Blackhawk for that. However, you have to come up with a combination that makes you happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts