Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Toklat in 454 Casull/.45 Colt and love it. More accurate with this than any gun I own. Looking to get something lighter for hiking purposes in .357 so I'm comparing the GP-100 with the SP-101 both in a 4.2" barrel. First off, were I to get the SP, I'd put the Hogue rubber monogrip on it.

The SP is about 10oz lighter but obviously must bite more than the heavier GP. I reload so I would shoot a lot of .38 special or light .357 loads 90% at the range. The SP trade off is 10oz weight reduction with one less round and snappier recoil.

1) How is the recoil of the SP with full house .357 loads with the Hogue grips?

2) Which of the two would you recommend?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a 6" GP and a 4" SP101. I purchased the SP just for hiking in the woods near my house. Thousands of acres on the mountains. The SP has a lot of "bark and bite" with full loads. With mid-range 357 loads it is easy to handle. Even with those the trigger guard kicks back against my finger/knuckle after a few rounds. I left the stock grips on mine they are compact and they work for me. It fits in an old pancake holster and carries easily. A couple of speed strips in my pocket and I am ready for a coyote or rabid armadillo, in case I come across one. :)
The GP100 is a much smoother gun and easier for me to shoot well. If I was going again I am not sure about which I would choose. :confused: Probably the SP because it is much more compact. Either is a great choice.

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
The SP with a moderate amount of practice the recoil is manageable. I like the stock grips with an upgrade to wood for the inserts and don't have issues with full house loads with 158 gr bullets. Whatever you use practice with.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Have carried both, a 3" GP 100 and a 4" SP-101 with Hogue grips. Have also shoot both - a lot. My vote for carrying and hiking is the SP101. Even with 180 grain bear loads, the SP was still quite manageable for me and more than accurate enough for the type of shooting you would do with a woods gun. Also liked the fiber optic front on the SP 4". That's a big plus for our always dark woods.

Keep in mind, though, that recoil is such a personal and subjective thing. I've been something of a handgun recoil junkie most of my life, so shooting 357 mags in a 25 ounce gun is no big deal. Now shooting 180 grain 357s in my 13 ounce S&W J frame 340 is another matter. That one usually gets fed 38s. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have hike experience with GP100 and GP101 in both Snub and three inch.

No question,in my experience,that the 101 is most ideal.In fact,the snub wins over the 3 inch;subtle difference but noticeable.

I find the Hogue grip greatly reduces recoil effects,even with for instance,Buffalo Bore "Heavy" .357

Snub version mitigates slightly larger Hogue grip.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I have the 1708 GP 3" for that reason.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If I were hiking, it'd be the 4.2 SP.

I have larger Hogue wood on mine & even with the lighter half-lug barrel & 180-grain Buff Bore loads recoil is not at all uncomfortable.

Full-lugged barrels would add some mass & weight for slightly better recoil/muzzle rise control.

Accuracy & power levels are essentially the same between that SP & my GPs, and losing one round isn't an issue for me.
Denis

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Hogue grip is a necessity for me on an SP ! Gives great control through the recoil cycle and is comfortable to shoot Magnums with it on the SP! The Hogue also fits my hand better and helps to line up the sights in a quick presentation.

SP wins for all the right reasons! weight, strength, barrel length (4.2) fiber optic and with Hogue grip it's all good.

Don't know where you live but 357 158 JHPs serve us well here in this part of Idaho. We are now seeing more wolves than bears. Wolves are more aggressive and smarter than a bear. When hunting season was established on wolves in this state, it didn't take long for those big canines to figure out what firearms were. 1 shot now and they scatter like coyotes. But I hold a healthy respect for the Ursine and the Canine!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have a Ruger Toklat in 454 Casull/.45 Colt and love it. More accurate with this than any gun I own. Looking to get something lighter for hiking purposes in .357 so I'm comparing the GP-100 with the SP-101 both in a 4.2" barrel. First off, were I to get the SP, I'd put the Hogue rubber monogrip on it.

The SP is about 10oz lighter but obviously must bite more than the heavier GP. I reload so I would shoot a lot of .38 special or light .357 loads 90% at the range. The SP trade off is 10oz weight reduction with one less round and snappier recoil.

1) How is the recoil of the SP with full house .357 loads with the Hogue grips?

2) Which of the two would you recommend?
If you have big hands, you may be compelled to go with the GP. I have big hands. Regrettably, I had to trade my SP for a GP. Shooting light .38 loads was not the problem with my SP - it was the +P or .357's that caused the knuckles on my grip hand to scrape against the backside of the trigger guard. The Hogue grips certainly tamed recoil a bit, but exacerbated the clearance issue [moving my knuckles closer to the trigger guard]. After a box of hot rounds, my shooting stall often looked like a crime scene. No such problem with the GP - not to mention a much tamer recoil with the added weight. BTW, I have a 6" blued. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 4" SP101 is just about the perfect trail gun. The only downside is that it doesn't fit in my pack's waist belt pocket. It does carry nicely in a tanker holster though.

I figure if I need more than five 357 shots to get it done I probably brought the wrong gun anyway.

With full house 357 loads there is a bit of a learning curve as to how to grip it. My GP is easier to shoot, but just a little bit. The SP is a LOT nicer to pack around.

The 327 version is tempting too. You get that extra round and ammo weighs less so you can carry more. I hate passing up opportunities to plink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBnzoIiOAY

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Both my .357 & .22 4.2 SP can ride in the same El Paso Saddlery Tanker rig interchangeably, depending on the outing.
Quite handy.
Denis

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking to get something lighter for hiking purposes in .357 so I'm comparing the GP-100 with the SP-101 both in a 4.2" barrel.
I was wondering the same thing. I have a 6" GP-100 (too heavy and unwieldy) and a 2 1/4 SP101 and wanted a 4" trail gun. I ended up buying a 4 5/8" Blackhawk convertible (.357/9mm).

I ordered a Simply Rugged holster with the Chesty Puller harness. The revolver is great; the holster arrives in three days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 72 year mother shot my SP101 first time she ever shot anything more than a 22. Full load 357. I warned her it might kick a bit. She was not impressed. She was accurate too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the chance to handle both today. The SP had a very short grip and seemed almost like a toy gun. I'm not trying to be flippant but there's not much to it. In fairness to the SP, I wish I had the chance to hold it with the Hogue grip rather than the stock grip.

The GP felt absolutely perfect. It is made perfectly for my hand.

I have to either roll the dice, get the SP and hope against hope the Hogue grip will make things better or grab the GP. At 40oz, it does make me wonder whether the money is well spent given that I already have all the power in the world in a revolver I love that's only 7oz heavier.

Gotta sleep on this one.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For field work I carry a 4inch GP100 in a cheap Barsony shoulder holster. I admit I was surprised how great that cheap holster works (once I got it adjusted properly). I use it for hiking, chopping wood, any yard work at all. It really beats anything tugging at your waistband when you are being active. Jm2cents. Get the GP.

·
Registered
490 Posts
wiiawiwb; Notice my first post to your question on this thread. Well, I have been thinking on it. I know this is a Ruger forum and your question was a two choice question. You have gotten advice favoring each one for different reasons.
This is completely different, but have you considered a S&W model 66 with 4" barrel? The weight is about half way between the GP and SP and it is 6 shot. In a recent test in a gun mag the author said he had fired the best 25 yard group he had ever fired with iron sights on a pistol.
And that's all I've got to say about that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PiedPiper, thanks for that recommendation.

I know this seems petty but I have never considered a S&W because I absolutely dislike the feel of the metal spine in my hand. I've shot a buddy's 629 and would never shoot it again. I like the feel of a full hogue grip which I've become accustomed to with my Toklat.

I think Hogue only makes a grip for the Model 66 in the separated grip.

Hogue Inc.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts