Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the internet tales of woe about most new guns, no matter the make or model, and the statements of just how much cylinder/barrel gap and play in the cylinder must be, I have decided that mine shoots just fine if the bullet doesn't fly back and knock my hat off, and I can keep the rounds inside a reasonable bulls eye, all is well! :cool: I have decided to just let those who delight in publishing such information go right ahead, while I enjoy shooting my revolver.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The GP-100 is a fine revolver. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If your hat ever gets knocked off Ruger should fix you up. You're on your own with the hat though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had plenty of Rugers in my lifetime and have only had one to give me a hint of trouble. Sent it to Ruger..got it back in two weeks and haven't had a hiccup since. Every mfr. has an off day, and in one instance (not mine) the same problem 5 times, (but they fixed it) but 98% of the time Ruger is right-on! Jus' sayin'.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The good news is that the GP100 revolver is a wonderful design that has been in production since 1985. It has a great track record and I'm sure yours will be fine. I haven't been without once since 1986.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great shooters . I'm sure you will be pleased by the action . I've had mine for a good while now and can't say anything bad about it but not shooting it enough . Enjoy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't be concerned about the negative reports.
The two GP100's I've bought in the past month are as perfect as any revolver can be.

In fact the 6 inch is so accurate, I can point it in the opposite direction and still shoot respectable groups at 25 yards.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There are plenty of good Rugers and a few bad ones. People with the good ones shoot them and don't post about them. People with bad ones post about them, but most get them back from customer service and are happy with them. My first GP100 had a stiffer trigger than I liked but it was smooth and I left it alone of 4 years. I finally took it apart to clean up the rough spots and put in lighter springs. I didn't find any rough spots, I polished it a little, shimmed the trigger and hammer and put in lighter springs - works great. My last GP100 had some burrs in it (a little disappointing), but I cleaned them up, put in some lighter springs and it works just great. So if your GP100 works just great go shoot it, and thanks for reporting about a good one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine is a great one. Perfect barrel alignment. Nice finish. Shoots straight. After investing 500 rounds or so my action smoothed up very nice. Lost count of the rounds, 95% of which were .38 special. It has even accounted for a few does.

It is an older 6 shoot with the Santoprene grips. I think the world of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wheel guns are far from being popular at my gun range, so sometimes when I show up with my s/s GP100 it gets some very curious looks but they only last until they see just how well it shoots.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I found a new six inch one online locally. Trying to convince myself that I don't need four inches in lieu of six inches.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I found a new six inch one online locally. Trying to convince myself that I don't need four inches in lieu of six inches.
I will help convince you. Get the six inch now just because. Get a four inch later just because. Hope I helped you out! ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
OOS, figures. I've come to realize that online availability doesn't discriminate whether it be a big box retailer, grocery store, or sporting goods store. No one can keep an accurate inventory.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,844 Posts
My personal track record with Ruger revolvers has been pretty good and I've had quite a few pass through my hands over the years. I can only recall ever having to send in 3 for service - an LCR with a badly flame cut top strap (replaced by Davidson's actually), a Bearcat that needed a new cylinder and an SP101 with a canted barrel. I couldn't begin to list all of the GP100s I've bought and sold - 38s and 357s, 3', 4", 5" 6", blued, stainless, Wiley Clapps, partial underlug oldies...it's an embarassingly long list. Even now I must have a half dozen or so in 2.6", 3", 4" and 6" barrel lengths. I never had any issues with any of them that required service. The GP100 is still a favorite of mine - rugged, reliable, easy to work on and fun to tinker with.

·
Cat Herder
1,633 Posts
Any gun manufacturer can have a defect show up. I had an SP101 that had part of the hammer break off after very few rounds (still functioned though). Materials can have defects in them.

Every gun I've ever had that had defects show up has had it happen in probably the first hundred rounds. It's why it is so important to thoroughly test any gun that you intent to carry or use for defense- even if it is exactly like another you have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts