Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In trying to sneak up on a refined DA pull on my new 1708 I found some of the usual issues: steel chips in the action, rough edges, ect.

One of the first things I do with Rugers is to refine the hammer strut, as its usually rough and makes the spring hang up and increase pull.

Still had a bit of a "hitch" as the trigger began to roll the cylinder, which I initially thought was the cylinder hand being rough or rubbing on something.

Then while dry firing, I happened to notice that the grip screw rotated....where the hammer strut rubbed against it as the hammer came rearward. fixed this by honing down the hammer strut a mite to create clearance.

All seemed OK.

I noticed that the DA pull was better, but is on occasion a bit "tight"
I THINK this might be due to one of the notched on the ejector star being a bit rough or having a small burr, ect.

Anyone run into this in the past? My goal is to create a butter smooth pull and return like I was able to do with my other GP and Six. Granted, it took some effort over time to sneak up on each aspect of it, but I'm willing to do so...its cold here right now, so its a good project.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it.sounds like the screw might be a bit long and hanging on the spring. Take some off of the screw for length. Then do the ruger fluff n buff.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks crank. These are the Lett style grips, so the screw is 90 degrees to the hammer strut, and there is no doubt as to where it was rubbing, as there is a small notch in the screw.
That was one of the first things I fixed.

Buy I think I MIGHT have solved the problem. I stoned the front surface of the ratchet, as under close scrutiny like it had an area that stood a bit proud. I stoned it flat, polished with 1500 and 2K paper wrapped on steel, then did a similar operation to the breach face and area where the ratchet interfaces. Not a mirror finish, as I did not take out all the machining marks, but its smoother, and the trigger no longer has the hitch. Was it the problem? I think so, but only 200 or so rounds will let me know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts