Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How similar are the inter-workings of the GP series and the Six series?

I have a Security Six and quite familiar with its mechanics and just curious about the GP’s. To me, the GP is visually a better proportioned pistol.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The internals actually are quite similar. The GP100 is just more robust and has front cylinder crane lock up. Also, the grip frame, peg, offers a lot more choices of grips.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very similar, as already stated, though one can tell the GP100 (and SP101) have a few modern advantages. Obviously the grip stud allows for different grip sizes to a greater degree. The crane latch. The extractor rod.

But the Six series was built better IMO, at least compared to newer Rugers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree with Rover,
The GP is a little easier to disassemble.
With your experience of the Six series you will quickly gain respect for the GP.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I own both and will not sell either. Both are fine revolvers in my opinion. The DA trigger pull on my GP100 is quite a bit better than that of my Security Six. The SA trigger pulls are about the same. I really like the easily removable front sight and grips of the GP100. I picked the GP100 over the S&W 686+ because of my experience with the Security Six and the "Hillary hole feature" of the 686. I am not bashing S&W as I have more S&W revolvers than Ruger revolvers.

I shot the NRA National Match Course many times with the Security Six. I am not sure how many wadcutters went down it's barrel but it's surely several thousand. The revolver is still locking up tight and a great shooter.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Personally, I much prefer the looks of the Security series over the GP.
I totally understand this statement, just like I actually like the looks of a pre-lock Smith & Wesson 686 over the GP100 also. With the GP100, you have to study it's design and field strip it down a couple of times for it's inner beauty to start shining though. Also, the GP100 revolver actions will vary significantly from one specimen to the next. Some come pretty nice right out of the box and others require a little TLC to get them where they should be.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I totally understand this statement, just like I actually like the looks of a pre-lock Smith & Wesson 686 over the GP100 also. With the GP100, you have to study it's design and field strip it down a couple of times for it's inner beauty to start shining though. Also, the GP100 revolver actions will vary significantly from one specimen to the next. Some come pretty nice right out of the box and others require a little TLC to get them where they should be.
Yes, not at all saying that the GP is not an excellent pistol. Just personally prefer the looks of the Security.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bill Ruger never made a dime off of the Security Six line....
Any citations to back up that statement? Do you know how many of the Six series guns were sold - around the world? How about better than 1.25 MILLION. And didn't make a dime? Bill Ruger was not in the business to lose money.

I collect both the Six series and the GP100's and I like them both for different reasons.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
If concealment is an issue the security six is more concealable. If not go with either. Security 6 is long discontinued so you have to take what you can find gp100 is still in production.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Ruger never turned a profit on the security-six revolvers, but I have read quotes of Mr. Ruger in one of my old magazines that the security-six was a very difficult and expensive design to manufacture.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Ruger never turned a profit on the security-six revolvers, but I have read quotes of Mr. Ruger in one of my old magazines that the security-six was a very difficult and expensive design to manufacture.
At the time it was originally built it was costly to build I grant you that, but like everything else as time went on the price per unit to build went down with the technological changes that made it less expensive to build. He did not lose any money, they were made and sold for 18 years (don't believe that they started making them in 1972, they actually started in 1970 - I have one (very, very low s/n that is documented to have been made in late 1970).

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I can only speak for my 1978 vintage Security Six. DA and SA are glass smooth and light. Much better than my SP101 that has lighter hammer and trigger springs. Of course, the fit and finish of the Six far surpasses my SP101.

·
Premium Member
13,890 Posts
Brother in law has a six and it is about halfway between the SP101 and the GP101. I like shooting it and offered to buy it until he told me his deceased father owned it and it has sentimental value to him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts