Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit, I was one of those who could not wait for the new GP100 .22 to finally hit the shelf's. Today, I got my first look at one at my LGS. At first glance it looked extremely nice!!. Fit and finish was damn near perfect! Very tight/even crane to frame gap and nice tight cylinder. The cylinder opened smooth, and closed with a reassuring snap.

It was the moment I drew the hammer back that took the smile from my face. I will sum it up in one word "ROUGH". It was like pulling an anchor across sand. I could see the scrape marks on the bottom half of the hammer where it was dragging on the inside of the frame. I was hoping for a smooth action, this wasn't even close!!! Now I'm sure in time it will smooth itself out, but for $650.00 I guess I was hoping for something a little more refined. My new out of the box S&W 617 action was like silk compared to this thing. Anyway, It did feel well balanced my hand with the 5 1/2 barrel, not a big fan of the front optic sight insert tho. I will pass for now.

·
Banned
84 Posts
polish

Very easy to polish up!
Perhaps, but for that kind of money you shouldn't have to do anything but unpack it, clean it, lube it and shoot it. You should not have to disassemble a brand new $650 .22 revolver to fix an issue that the factory Quality Control shouldn't have let pass thru in the first place.

BK

·
Registered
629 Posts
Shame to hear this. I am still considering the new gp100 .22 but I recently purchased a ruger .22 convertible single six. So I'm still undecided about the new gp. I will wait to hear more feedback before I make the call.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What is the street price of a comparable 17 or 617? For that $$$ difference, I will polish my Ruger. Plus, I like to take my guns apart and put them back together. 🏼

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also played with one today at Scheel's , and I loved it until I tried the trigger, fiber optic sights are a nice addition, fit and finish was also very good. Just need to figure on doing an action job on it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The worst trigger I have ever had the experience of working was on a new S&W 686 that my buddy bought. It's gritty, rough trigger pull was probably close to 17 pounds.

I've only owned 3 Ruger revolvers. They seem to have a break in period. Of them, one had a stiff DA pull that was smoothed out and fine after about 1,000 trigger pulls (dry and live fire). I spent $10 and put in a Wolff spring kit in another because it was a heavier pull than my first revolver. Now its trigger pull is almost too light for my liking.

Rugers are fine revolvers with good triggers. They need broken in, though, from my experience.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quality of action tuning on new Ruger GP100 revolvers seem to go in cycles. I remember back in 2008-2010 the new GP100 revolvers that I would pick up had lighter and smoother triggers than on the older ones. Now we seem to be seeing more rough and poorly fitted actions on the new GP100's. As stated by others, these aren't difficult to clean up by a gunsmith or an owner with some experience, but they just shouldn't be coming off the line in this fashion.:(

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Perhaps, but for that kind of money you shouldn't have to do anything but unpack it, clean it, lube it and shoot it. You should not have to disassemble a brand new $650 .22 revolver to fix an issue that the factory Quality Control shouldn't have let pass thru in the first place.

BK
Ditto

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just ordered one over the weekend. I'll check it out and provide some Feedback, on what I find with the Build & Quality,
as well as a Range Report.

Cheers!

BB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts