Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats on the find. Nice looking revolver.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think the compact Lett grip will prove very suitable.

FYI, the various 140-145 grain .357 factory loads give about 1200 FPS from a three-inch barrel. Winchester's 145 grain Silvertip is lethal. A detective whom I asked checked its effects in actual shootings, and he said it was almost overkill. An FBI agent told me that the Bureau had a case where that round all but tore off a felon's shoulder.

I see no need to fire the abusive 125 grain bullets and lighter that are so destructive to barrel throats.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

FYI, the various 140-145 grain .357 factory loads give about 1200 FPS from a three-inch barrel. Winchester's 145 grain Silvertip is lethal. A detective whom I asked checked its effects in actual shootings, and he said it was almost overkill. An FBI agent told me that the Bureau had a case where that round all but tore off a felon's shoulder.

I see no need to fire the abusive 125 grain bullets and lighter that are so destructive to barrel throats.
Good information!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 3 inch and 4 inch in 357 and love them both, but if I had
to choose I would keep the 3 inch.....Tom. PS pls don't ask me why cause I don't
know why....

·
Registered
250 Posts

I love my 3" GP...And, I would love to shoot 145gn Silvertip in it, as I did with a Security Six I owned years ago.

But, I have just about given up on ever seeing the 145gn Silvertip ever again. I haven't seen it in years. An email to Winchester got a response saying "we may make some in 2016..."
In the meantime, I go back and forth between Critical Defense 125gn and 158gn XTP.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have a 3 inch and 4 inch in 357 and love them both, but if I had
to choose I would keep the 3 inch.....Tom. PS pls don't ask me why cause I don't
know why....
I do. :D

Oh you want me to tell you? Cuz the balance of the 3" is just perfect. Also the shorter barrel generates a little les velocity and is thus a little bit softer shooting. That's my theory anyway. ;)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Very nice...Congrats on the find! Love the look of the Lett's on the GP's...still don't understand why Ruger went to the Hogue's as their standard grip!

FYI... XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Main Page makes an excellent tritium front night sight for the 3" and 4" fixed-sight GP100's...I have one on mine (see Avatar) and it makes a huge difference in low/no light shooting! 'Bout $60?

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's a great find. I'd love to have a 3" gp100 to compliment my 4" gp100.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Lookin Good!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
3"ers and compacts go together like peas n carrots. And that's all I've got to say about that. :D -Forrest

1 - 18 of 18 Posts