Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my GP100 recently I've shot mostly .38 through it, just one box of .357. But today's Friday so I decided to spruce up my lunch break with some .357s. 150 of them, to be precise.

I shot from 25 feet at a larger target than I did before, I'll post a photo later but the silhouette that's black with a red oval center of target.

I'll tell you what, that .357 is an entirely different animal, ain't it?? I learned a few things, at least I think I did. Keeping in mind this is my first handgun experience other than maybe a dozen rounds of .22 as a kid, I think as I struggle to find both a comfortable and secure grip on the gun, I can get lazy with .38 rounds. The .357 really will yell out flaws in your grip, won't it?

So that was a helpful exercise, I think I did better toward the end, which is good.

Another thing I kept thinking about is pool. I shoot some pool, and I'm not bad. Probably better at it than anything else. But when teaching someone, or just if you asked me, I can't really tell you if I'm focusing on the cue ball or the object ball. It just happens and I see the whole picture. Well I struggle a bit with my focus when shooting, and this does not seem to happen when I'm shooting a rifle or shotgun. But I think my focus drifts back and forth from the front sight to the target, to the rear sight, etc. Not good. But I didn't shoot too badly.

Question: how should my feet be positioned, and how far out in front of me should I be holding the gun? I'm right handed, should my right hand be almost straight? Or if I can see the sights better should I bring it in a little closer?

Thanks. Sorry for the long post.

(This is the last target of the day...not as good as my .38 targets, but I am encouraged that maybe half of the shots in the red occurred toward the end, so maybe I've got some positive momentum going into next time...)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hey Eddie, ain't shootin' fun!
I focus mainly on the target and just let the sights align on initial throw up. I am old and handgun sights don't both focus together anymore anyway.
On position standing I have right arm straight out with the left shoulder slightly forward and the left arm crooked, left hand cradling the right strong hand, this is with body roughly facing the target. When I bring the gun in I will rotate the body so the left side is turned more toward target and the elbow dropped lower and braced into the ribcage. This is just how I am comfortable. I try to stay away from any position that has any part of the body in a locked condition. I am much steadier when in a relaxed position. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it does help, thanks. It's a little like a golf swing, it seems, many different ways to skin that cat. Little tweaks and adjustments to get comfortable and steady looking down the sight line. And it's all so new to me that I'm adjusting all the time looking for the best positions.

My eyesight (I just turned 44) has really deteriorated in the last five years. Never needed glasses, but I need reading glasses now. Badly!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah , those 357's have a little bark , i like the stock rubber grips,
helps with a little cushion. havn't tried any 38's yet. i'm hitting 44 this year myself , just had to pick up reading glasses , i usally line up the sights & concentrate on the target with good results.
SL.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spitn Lead, you mentioned your age on your 44th post. You should play '4444' in the pick four tonight! (If you can read the play ticket clearly enough to fill it out!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Since I got my GP100 recently I've shot mostly .38 through it, just one box of .357. I shot from 25 feet at a larger target than I did before, I'll post a photo later but the silhouette that's black with a red oval center of target.
Hi EddieF......

I'm sorta in the same position as you......low level of handgun experience. Actually, zero centerfire handgun background, tho I have shot a Ruger Mark 1 .22 pistol quite a bit.

I just bought a SS GP100 in .357....4 incher. Tryin' to learn how this all comes together to enable me to hit anything!!

I've fired my new GP less than 100 times.....and I can see it's gonna take a bit of shootin' before I feel that I know anything about it all! I already handicapped myself with a malfunctioning adjuster on my rear sight. Fixed it, so now I'm ready to go, I hope.

So I'm following your beginning GP career with interest! So..in that vein, so I can see how you're doing.....what is the heighth and width of the red area on the human silhouette target that you posted?

You shot this silhouette at 25 feet, iron sights, with a 2-handed hold (non-rest)......right? Slow or rapid fire?

As soon as I have meaningful range visit, I'll post the results of my shooting here. I'm simultaneously learning to reload .357 ammo. My head is spinning.......

fjlee Denver CO

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Eddie, that's not bad for just getting to know your GP. Don't forget there are both Target and reflex practice. You need to know both if this is to be a defensive weapon.

fjlee; good luck with yours, and don't hesitate to report results or ask any questions.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fjlee, correct, standing up, two hands. This target here actually has some single action slow and deliberate fire, and some double action pretty fast fire. I am kind of pleased with my rapid fire, I like that. So, I'm only about a month ahead of you in shooting time, but email me any time if you want to talk about this stuff. [email protected]

Oh, the red part of that is a little under 2" wide by 3" tall. I've been printing out targets from www.protargets.com, but just felt like a change today so I bought three of these. Plus, with the .357, I just felt menacing enough that I needed to shoot at something more than a circle! (By the way, I found it works really well to just stick colored post-its on the back of the target before you take a picture of it so you can see really clearly how well you've done.)

Thanks Jimbo! Hey I ran into a really nice guy at the range today who teaches an IDPA seminar and it's close to my house. Looks like a lot of fun and a great way to improve and get comfortable enough with the gun so, if the need ever arises, I will be prepared.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
EddieF,
I would say that all you need in more practise in time you will find what works for you. Each shooter has their own style ( with in reason) of shooting.
Everything is in the 7 ring, now try to keep everything in the 8 ring next time. Once you can do that the 9 ring is next. Beleive me from what I see you won't be long before your shooting out the 10 ring. Keep up the good work, your doing fine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a pretty old topic that got revisited. But I am going to the range tomorrow, trying out a lighter trigger and an orange front sight. Good or bad, I will report back to this forum with my progress!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts