Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fave LGS has a used 4" blued .38 special GP100 on the shelf. Price isn't bad IMO.
I'm thinking of driving there tomorrow and putting money down on it. I have this thing for .38 and .357 revolvers. My last revolver acquisition was a S&W Model 15-4.
Granted the GP frame is overkill for .38 but I think it'll be great for HD, plinking and carrying in the woods. My only threats there are either snakes or 2 legged vermin.
Anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Granted the GP frame is overkill for .38 but I think it'll be great for HD, plinking and carrying in the woods.
Overkill is a term for the conceal carry guys to bandy about.
Nothing wrong and plenty right about a larger than necessary framed 38.
There have been Colt New Service and Shooting Masters and even the Official Police and Officers Match are LARGE 38s.
I have a 6 1/2"N frame S&W 38-44 Outdoorsman in 38 spl. And even the full sized Colt Single Action has been made in 38.
All of these are much larger than your proposed GP.
All of these are probably spurned by the Tactical Teddys but venerated by them that shoot them.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,674 Posts
If you think the price is fair, buy it before it gets away. That revolver will do everything you need it to do. A steady diet of +P .38spl won't bother it, target loads will shoot very softly, and shot loads handle snakes effectively. We will need pictures of your new revolver.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If you think the price is fair, buy it before it gets away. That revolver will do everything you need it to do. A steady diet of +P .38spl won't bother it, target loads will shoot very softly, and shot loads handle snakes effectively. We will need pictures of your new revolver.
Can't argue with a .38 Special +P for home and personal defense...especially out of a 4" barrel.

Buffalo Bore: 38 SPL +P OUTDOORSMAN (buffalobore.com)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm with Oldwolf on this one. I only shoot .38 specials in my .357 revolvers. A lot of shooters will caution you that .357 revolvers will hold greater value than ones chambered for the .38 special, and that's overall probably right. But, if you happen to really like the .38 special it can be a positive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently purchased a 5" GP100. So far I am pleased with it's looks and feel but I have not been unable to shoot it. From all accounts I will be pleased with it at the range and weight/size wise, I am looking forward to having it with me in the woods.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know they had made the GP100 in 38 special chambering. I'd be curious to know if those were a special run ( for LE/security) or was it a cataloged item. In any case, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the condition and price were right. FWIW, it seems that LNIB GP100's are bringing $600-$700 (out the door) around the NE US. Also FWIW, I shoot 38 specials out of my GP100's near 100 % of the time. I don't consider the 38 special chambering a hinderance for range /yard work. In fact, I find it's uniqueness appealing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know they had made the GP100 in 38 special chambering. I'd be curious to know if those were a special run ( for LE/security) or was it a cataloged item. In any case, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if the condition and price were right. FWIW, it seems that LNIB GP100's are bringing $600-$700 (out the door) around the NE US. Also FWIW, I shoot 38 specials out of my GP100's near 100 % of the time. I don't consider the 38 special chambering a hinderance for range /yard work. In fact, I find it's uniqueness appealing.
New York City Police guns. Guy on Gun Broker has them all the time..interesting in that they don't have adjustable sights, just a frame notch. (Like a 681 Smith), They often came in 3" Versions, I'm trying to ge tone bought now.

Reactions: Wee Hooker

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks, that's Interesting. I thought NYCPD used Sw's till they went to semi auto's. I have a SW 64, 38spl 4" DAO that I got when they dumped them some 12-15 years ago. Me and some guys from the club bought 18 of them from J&G sales for less than $200 /copy. Typical cop guns. Carried allot but shot little. FWIW, I had a 681 Smith in 38 special in the collection for a bit. It was marked for CONRAIL as one of their security force buys. I don't mind fixed sighted 38's except that they tend to demand traditional 158 gr loads or they shoot off POA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, that's Interesting. I thought NYCPD used Sw's till they went to semi auto's. I have a SW 64, 38spl 4" DAO that I got when they dumped them some 12-15 years ago. Me and some guys from the club bought 18 of them from J&G sales for less than $200 /copy. Typical cop guns. Carried allot but shot little. FWIW, I had a 681 Smith in 38 special in the collection for a bit. It was marked for CONRAIL as one of their security force buys. I don't mind fixed sighted 38's except that they tend to demand traditional 158 gr loads or they shoot off POA
The ones this guy is selling, are engraved. He states in one of his ads, he has a 3”, I reached out to see if he would sell it, no joy, he wants it at auction. Oddly, a couple other 3” GP’s have failed to meet reserve and I reached out on the one Wiley Clapp I don’t have, no response. I would say though, prices sre coming down.

·
Registered
770 Posts
NYCPD used Ruger Service Sixes and Speed Sixes as well as S&Ws until '88-89' when the GPNY & SPNY DAO 38spl were the Rugers approved by NYCPD.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haven't gotten to the LGS yet, doggone work and family obligations. It's still there so I'll call tomorrow.
I think people wave off because it's a .38. IMO .38 works in home defense because of the lack of blast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts