Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As people might have followed, I sent my GP100 back and forth from Ruger many times. The first time was for a stained blued finish and BC gap problem. That came back with a crooked barrel. Sent back to straighten barrel, gun came back with horribly stained blued finish.
Today I received the Revolver back for the 3rd time. I’ll let the photos of the rebluing job speak for themselves.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dern, I bet you were crushed when you opened that package today. That is an unacceptable refinish in my book. You used to be able to "tell the CEO" at ruger.com but I don't know if that is still available. Wishing you luck with your GP!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ruger is capable of so much better work. I agree with JBnTx, I would be ready to try to recoup my money and bail out. The GP100 can be such a nice revolver, but my experience has all been with stainless steel models.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm a disappointed to say the least. Here's my sentiment: The gun's finish stinks. And Ruger seems to be unable to properly blue a revolver. That said: I now have a GP100 that has a perfectly straight barrel, has rock solid lock up, the B/C gap is exactly how I want it (.004), nearly zero endshake, and the trigger action is smoother than many Rugers I've felt and owned. It's just got an ugly paint job.

When I get a chance, I'll put some rounds on paper. If the gun performs well, I'm going to keep it. I'd rather have a well-built and reliable revolver that's ugly than a pretty one that doesn't function right. Having both: that seems to be impossible these days.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,630 Posts
Hope the GP does perform well for you after all this. Wish you luck on the test session. Took a bit of effort to get it this far so we really hope it shoots straight. Update us on your session results. Followed your journey to date and was hoping for the best. See what Ruger says after you send photos and communicate the issues. Very interested in the outcome on this one.
Good luck.

Reactions: American1776

·
Exchequer
4,496 Posts
That stinks!

You might want to call Ruger and speak to a supervisor ....or call and politely ask to speak to the CEO, Christopher Killoy. At that point, you might get through to his assistant and you could explain your situation.

Try calling their corporate offices at 1-203-259-7843. Press "9" for the company directory and then enter "Killoy" on your keypad. You'll get transferred to the CEO's voicemail.

If you're polite and persistent, you just might get a new GP sent to you at no cost.

There's no excuse for this to have happened and I'd be willing to bet that the upper management at Ruger has no idea that you've gone through all this trouble.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
American1776, I do understand what you are saying, when you get one that is perfectly fitted and has a great action you are hesitant to give it up. I'm assuming that the flecks that are shown on all the pictures is actually dust? It would sure be wonderful if you had someone who could put a good high gloss polished blueing job on it. But that certainly shouldn't be on your dime. Don't know for certain what I would do if I were in your shoes. Just thinking out loud, wonder if 0000 steel wool and oil would improve the finish?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, I'm a disappointed to say the least. Here's my sentiment: The gun's finish stinks. And Ruger seems to be unable to properly blue a revolver. That said: I now have a GP100 that has a perfectly straight barrel, has rock solid lock up, the B/C gap is exactly how I want it (.004), nearly zero endshake, and the trigger action is smoother than many Rugers I've felt and owned. It's just got an ugly paint job.

When I get a chance, I'll put some rounds on paper. If the gun performs well, I'm going to keep it. I'd rather have a well-built and reliable revolver that's ugly than a pretty one that doesn't function right. Having both: that seems to be impossible these days.
Well you got your gun "functioning" the way you want, but for finish I'd just leave Ruger out of the picture. Go with a well known national refinishing company, like Accurate Plating and Weaponry. No I don't have a thing to do with them, but I've used them many a time and every single time I had something blued or plated I was overly surprised. Ie. Better than expected!!! You can check them out here Accurate Plating & Weaponry | Gunsmith In Newville, Alabama The very first weapon I sent them decades ago was a 12 gauge slug "rifle", many, many years before that became a "thing". It had a Harris bipod among all of the sighting mounts and such. They detail stripped each and every part of the gun and of the "bolt on's" and plated every single part including screws and pins in their Hard Chrome. It didn't cost that much and I feel they went way beyond the "call of duty" for such a business. Smithy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been thinking about getting another GP reblued.
a.) The factory finish isn't that sweet. Very much "work ready." I like this gun better than that.
b.) Ruger leaves a lot of rough edges on their guns. I'm sure I'll like it better after I go over it and clean it up. I know about cold blue touch up, but I'd like to do it right.
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I emailed the CEO Christopher Killoy yesterday documenting all of the trips back to the factory for my gp100 along with pictures of the offensive bluing job
. I received a phone call first thing this morning from a nice woman calling about my gun. She said I should send it back in, and she'll make sure it goes to the Manager at the plant first, who will handle the matter. She also mentioned I could get a replacement gun sent to me, and I explained in the email that the barrel, bc gap, and action / lock up are perfect on this one now, so I'm not keen on starting over with a 'new' specimen. She understood, and gave me an RMA for pickup tomorrow.

I'll keep everyone up to date on this journey. Hopefully it comes back with a nice blue finish. We'll see.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Time to play hardball. Get to the supervisor of customer service. Send him a link to this thread. Tell him you are hoping he fixes this mess so you can tell your fellow Ruger owners tha the company came through.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you want a nice, well applied finish, send it to some professionals, not Ruger. Clearly, that is not working. It looks like a bunch of children did that finish.

GS

1 - 20 of 36 Posts