Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the glowing reports from owners of the 4" GP100 I started looking for one and found this used one in a pawn shop. It was pretty dirty but otherwise in good shape. After a nice hot bath in an ultrasonic cleaner it received some new springs, a Hi-Viz front sight and a new Hogue grip (Pau Ferro).

The GP family continues to grow!

Wave

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What a fine looking GP there. I like those grips - they really look good with the SS finish of the gun. I have been looking at some wooden grips for my GP. I like the feel of the stock Hogue rubber grips, but they just (in my opinion) do not look as good.

I wonder how the wooden grips feel when shooting .357 Magnum? Of course with the price of ammo, I don't expect I will be burning a lot of it up.

I have HI-Viz and or Williams FO front sights on several of my pistols and I like them, but I thought I would try out the Ruger Red front sight before I go with them.
I saw your post to my "range report" on my new GP100 5" - that black front sight is mighty hard to see against a black bullseye.

Enjoy your new treasure!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very nice looking GP100. With the fron sight's and grip's you've installed I bet it's a joy to shoot.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Very nice. GP-100's continue to grow on me.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Very good recovery of a fine revolver, congrats!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Good catch Wave!

Very, very nice looking GP ya got there ;)

Good luck with it & happy shootin'!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very nice! I did the same with my grips and love them!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Nice... I have a pair of those grips I bought years ago when I got my Super Redhawk. I might try them just to see how they feel, but I bet I stay with my Letts. Nice GP100, its a great gun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the hogue wood grips on my GP too but haven't taken it to the range yet with them on. Let us know how it feels with them, ok?
Enjoy that firearm!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Wow! I'm loving the wood grips with the stainless. Looks great. Congrats on your find. Let us know how it shoots with those grips, they look slippery.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Beautiful GP, great job on the clean-up! Now take it to the range and make it all dirty, you'll love it even more!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Beautiful, it looks like a new one, the GP is a great revolver, they are pleasant to shoot with any 38 spl. or 357 mag ammo.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Beautiful GP100! Congrat's! Nice clean-up job, Hi-Viz Sight, and Grips!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Beautiful!! I had to buy mine new. Now I have a self-imposed LGS ban, until my new Rugers are paid for (RRH .44 Mag 4.2" and GP100 4.2").

And now I can't shoot them for several months while recovering from rotator cuff surgery, :mad:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...I like the feel of the stock Hogue rubber grips, but they just (in my opinion) do not look as good.

I wonder how the wooden grips feel when shooting .357 Magnum? ...

I saw your post to my "range report" on my new GP100 5" - that black front sight is mighty hard to see against a black bullseye. ....
Dave - I've come to feel the same way about the stock Hogue grips. I like the way they feel but not so much the way they look. The stock grip that was on this was the black Hogue (not old enough to have Lett's) and looked really crummy so I was going to replace it anyway. Decided to give the wood Hogue a try. I haven't had it to the range yet since pulling it all back together so I can't comment on how it feels to shoot. A few years ago the black front sight wouldn't have been an issue but once the the eyes started having trouble seeing things up close - ugh! Black targets especially became a guessing game.

Very nice. GP-100's continue to grow on me.
jlh820, they continue to grow on me too! Careful though or they'll follow you home...

Very nice! I did the same with my grips and love them!
deerhearse, I remember seeing the pictures of yours and it figured in my decision to to do the same thing. I liked the way yours looked and knew I wouldn't go wrong doing the same. So thank you!

I have the hogue wood grips on my GP too but haven't taken it to the range yet with them on. Let us know how it feels with them, ok? ...
AmbroseLee, OK but you do the same - first one to hit the range with it reports back. I have some hunting lined up this weekend and next so it may be a while before I get there.

Beautiful GP, great job on the clean-up! Now take it to the range and make it all dirty, you'll love it even more!
Dawgface, thanks and I look forward to getting it nice and dirty at the range. The cleanup part was largely done using an ultrasonic cleaner and that couldn't be easier. Removed the grip, front sight, mainspring, hammer, trigger group and cylinder and everything but the grip went into the UC for long hot soak. It all came out as clean as a brand new gun. I used Mothers to polish out some light handling marks here and there and to give it some luster overall.

Beautiful!! I had to buy mine new. Now I have a self-imposed LGS ban, until my new Rugers are paid for (RRH .44 Mag 4.2" and GP100 4.2").

And now I can't shoot them for several months while recovering from rotator cuff surgery, :mad:
charlie, good to hear from you. I hope the surgery went well and physical therapy is progressing well also. I had a knee done a few years back so I know it's a long road back to 100%. Too bad it means no shooting for a while. Oh, your LGS called - they said they miss you........

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Wave

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congratulations on a most impressive revolver.

Your GP not only looks powerful it also looks quite beautiful.

Enjoy it!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations, great find.
My next handgun.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Looks like NIB. Great job with the cleanup. From your Avatar it looks like you're pretty familiar with the GP. Shoot and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts