Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a Gp100,44 special, 5 inch barrel blued revolver that ended up having a cracked forcing cone. I was shooting regular ammo, a lot of it that but nothing crazy. Long story short, Ruger ended up rebarreling it for me along with refinishing the entire pistol with my total out of pocket cost 30 bucks for shipping. I applaud Ruger for their customer service and standing behind their products. Now to my dilemma, I don't want to shoot this revolver anymore for fear of another cracked forcing cone. The reason I'm posting this is to see if there is anyone else out there that had experienced this with this particular revolver. The forcing cone is thin in my opinion. I'm assuming it's the same thickness on the stainless 3 inch models? Did I just get one with crappy steel? Anyone have an opinion on this? I was shooting cast bullets. Im wondering if that might be the issue? I'm not sure how that would be worse than jacketed. I do admit to not cleaning it from the last time I had taken it to th he range and I've read that lead can build up on the forcing cone causing more pressure in it, but in a couple hundred rounds? Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences. Thanks! Billy357

·
Registered
161 Posts
So Ruger did stop sending prepaid labels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure. I wasn't offered a pre-paid label. I did in fact purchase a Ruger shipping label. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would just shoot it. Sometimes pistols have parts that fail. It may also be that you had too much lead. Back when I shot a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting you could get lead for 45 Colt in .451, .452, .454 diameter. You needed to choose the correct diameter for your particular gun. Running a .454 down a barrel that needed .451 could result in damage to the firearm, excessive leading or less than stellar performance.

I never had my original frame sized Vaqueros worked over because I found a load that worked well at 755 FPS and didn’t lead much because I used Redline Cast Bullets, but others had their guns worked on by gunsmiths to accommodate shooting lots of cast bullets.

Your GP100 probably has plenty of meat in the forcing cone for 44 Special. If it breaks again it will be $30ish to send back. Probably less than a box of factory 44 special ammo! Just shoot it!

I have shot a lot of cast lead through the years. I still have a lot of lead ammo and bullets laying around, but I generally choose a plated or jacketed bullet these days unless I am planning on doing a lot of steel shooting. They are less clean up and hassle. Sure they are a bit more expensive, but I don’t have the time to cast my own.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just shoot it and enjoy. If it happens again send it back again. Ruger will eventually figure out this is a problem with that model and remedy it. In fact if it ever happens again insist on a pre-paid shipping label since it's already gone in once for this.

It's not likely, so just enjoy the gun. I know I love my 3" .44 Spl and carry it daily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a great revolver. Its too bad about the thin forcing cone. Does anybody load stiff 44 specials for their gp100? If so how hot do you go? I'm asking for comparison really. For example if "Jim" loads them super hot and has done so for a thousand rounds and has had no issues, then I'd feel better knowing I got a bum pistol. I know, if you want a 44 magnum get one. I'm just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know of three people that have them. One went back because of cracked forcing cone. He was shooting the Skeeter load. Now all three are pretty much safe queens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a feeling that there are quite a few being sent back because of cracked forcing cones. Probably why Ruger took so long to make a GP in 44 special. Not because it can't handle the 44 special, but I'm sure most people who bought one wanted it so they could shoot hot 44 specials. I wish I had a Blackhawk in 44 special so I could compare the thicknesses of the forcing cones. By looking at pictures the Blackhawks look almost double the thickness. Maybe if hey used thinner threads they could beef it up a bit? Anyway, thanks to all who replied. I'm th thinking I'm going to trade it or sell it. Anyone interested? Basically a brand new piece now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts