Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some chrono test on my 38spl and 357mag loads in the range. In my record, the highest velocity for 357mag were 1078fps.

During that night while I'm cleaning my gun, I noticed like a white thread in the forcing cone area, resembles like a letter "Y" and try to blow it, but wouldn't came off. Tried to pick it, and it feels like a scratch so I got a good flashlight and there I discovered the cracked that starts at the bottom of the forcing cone and extends maybe half inch inside the barrel.

I couldn't really believed it, but it stares back at me!

Problem is, I don't know if I can return it to Ruger, and besides that, shipping it will be a real problem to me!

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I find this very troubling, especially since I also have a GP-100. How many rounds do you have through it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Call Ruger! They'll send a FedEx box to you to ship the gun back. The GP is known for its solidity. If there's a problem, they will want to know about it and they will repair or replace it!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would love to see pics of this so we know what to look for. I have to assume this is either a defect barrel or this gun has not been cleaned properly and has seen excessive carbon, copper, or lead build up in the forcing cone. Since most of us clean our guns as a matter of routine I don't see how lack of cleaning should be the cause. Ruger may need to know there is a batch of barrels that could be suspect. Is this a newer gun? Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I find this issue equally troubling as I have GP100 also...

taminsong please keep this thread updated with any further details, pictures, Ruger reply's, etc. as there are alot of members who own GP100's and would want and need to know how your situation turns out!

·
Registered
224 Posts
While the GP100 is one of the strongest medium frame revolvers they will crack forcing cones if a person shoots a high round count of 125 grain or lighter with slow burning powder like H110. I call these rounds "frame throwers" and will cause more flame cutter and forcing erosion than heavier grain rounds. These rounds are hard on all revolvers no matter what brand. There is on this forum a member here that cracked and eroded his forcing cone by shooting this type of round. I believe the fella shot 100 rounds a week for a year. He shipped the revolver back to Ruger to have it re barreled. It would be nice if you supply photos and what type of 357 magnum ammo you were reloading or bought. Also round count would be nice to know.
Regards,
Howard

·
Registered
169 Posts
Taminsong,

You're screwed on this one. International shipping of firearms will be almost impossible, especially from the Philippines. Your best best is to go to the dealer where you bought the gun and see what they can do. They may have the appropriate channels/connections to get it fixed.

If you were living in the US, Ruger will replace the barrel for free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Forcing cone crack?

I, too, would like to know what type of ammo was used in the apparent damage to the forcing cone.

I only use Hornady Critical Defense 125gr and similar high quality ammo. None of what I use could be called "flame thrower" type ammo... Nearly all, except for low velocity target ammo, is Hornady, Barnes-X, Speer, Remington, Federal, or Winchester. All are quality self defense ammo...

As KGP-151s (2) of them are my everyday carry, this does cause me some modicum of concern...

Please keep us advised...

Thanks,

OA, out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.