Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,789 Posts
Thank you for your response, glad there is some sanity among us. I opted for the 6 shot. They did what I asked and put the requested sights on the 6 shot version. They made things right with me, Ruger did the right thing. Taurus actually started to fight me, long story, I had to send pictures and wait on their judgement, then they said they had only the blued model, I told em negative, mine was stainless and that's what I should be getting back. Told me might be a while, so waiting I was willing to do. Still waiting lol
I figured that Ruger would make it right. Enjoy the six-shooter! I love my GP100.

As for Taurus...don't give them your money again. I do love my little Taurus 85, now relegated to tacklebox duty, but it's never caused any trouble for 20+ years. I don't trust their QC on newer guns and they recently ended their lifetime warranty on new models (85 got discontinued).

My theory is to buy from companies that cultivate a long-term customer. From all I've read here, Ruger does that. So does Kimber. I've never had to contact S&W, other than verifying the date of manufacture of a used 64 I purchased, but I get the impression they stand by their product, too.

One final tidbit: when a customer service person from a big firm says "no," stay polite, end the conversation, and contact them again right away. You'll most likely get a different person and a different answer :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
First range session with the 1771 was uneventful!
125 rounds mixed .357 with no issues and nothing outside the 9 ring.
I'm well pleased.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,777 Posts
First range session with the 1771 was uneventful!
125 rounds mixed .357 with no issues and nothing outside the 9 ring.
I'm well pleased.
Awesome Whalerman and thanks for the data you posted here. I have my eye on a GP100 and I am excited on this revolver. I have not gotten a new revolver since last year a S&W and have been on the sidelines on the GP100. Looking forward to this one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JLS1980, I didn't take any measurements. I detailed the changes that I noted
in my first post. I should add that my serial number is 178-98xxx.
Wish I had a better answer for you. Hopefully all the newer guns work as well mine. If you think of a specific item you want me to check on my gun I would be happy to check for you.
BTW, most everyone on this site is friendly and helpful. I hope to see more of your posts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I picked up my new 1707 this morning and took it for a quick spin. I must say I'm very happy with it even though it's a 6 shooter. I like the hogue grip better than the rosewood rubber grip on the other one. They even put the fiber optic sight on it as requested. It shoots very nice. It looks like they sighted it in for me. Thank you ruger.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts

Fellow members, I have two six shot GP 100's, great guns, both have been cut for moon clips. Really want to get a 7 shot. This thread has made me take a second look. Will have to research, maybe call TK custom that does the moon clip work and see what they say. Thanks for the posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Love the 6 shot 1707 they sent me, put some underwood, reloads and cheap ammo through it the other day, was doing 3 inch groups at 60 yards with the reloads and Underwood. Reloads I used was 158 grain xtp over 17 grains of MP-300. No idea of velocity but there was a healthy boom, no unburned powder, dirty brass, using a federal magnum primer. I expect that load to surpass 1300-1350 fps. Honestly 17 grains looks like it filled the case to the bottom of the bullet, anything more would be compressed, had more boom and recoil than Underwood. The Underwood hit in similar point of aim and impact. Overall 100 rounds were fired, accuracy and function was great. Wish I knew what my reloads were doing performance wise, guess I need a chrono.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I thought I'd ask if the serial number range was known yet for the newer fixed models? I just picked a used 7-shot from GB today and was wondering if it's a newer one or older version that might need to go back. The serial number starts with 178-88***.

Thanks!

Stump

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just spoke to Bonnie at Ruger customer service to see if I could find anything out about the manufacturing change and when it went into effect as my revolver was shippped from the factory in 2018. She told me she hadn't ever heard of this issue. I asked if there was record of this particular revolver being returned for the upgrade, she said she couldn't provide that information, only the year it was shipped (which I had already looked up on their website). When I asked if I could speak to a tech who was familiar with this issue, she said they don't come to the phone or answer questions. The conversation was polite both ways, but I don't have any idea if the revolver has the upgrades or what stamps to look for to indicate a modification has occurred. Keeping my fingers crossed it's a late 2018 model with no issues. We'll see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
She told me she hadn't ever heard of this issue.
I think they say that for all problems. I sent my LCP II back to Ruger last month because it ejects the mag when firing. I asked the CS rep if it was a common problem, and she said they've had no other reports of it.
I've seen at least 50 people online having the same issue over the past 2 years, and most sent theirs back to Ruger for repair.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just load it and see if the cartridges fit properly with no overlapping rims.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The GP-100 arrived today and I tried loading a variety of cartridges I have here. All fit with no issues EXCEPT Winchester White Box 110gr JHP's and some vintage Winchester Black Talons. The 110's would not eject without a good hard jab on the ejector rod. The BT's were not as bad, but still needed some decent pressure to eject.

Speer, Barnes, Cor-Bon, Federal, PMC, MagTech, Hornady and unfired Starline brass all fit and fell free from the cylinder with no need to push on the ejector rod at all.

Likely leave it as is for now, see how she shoots and just plan on using the brands above that fit. Whoever the previous owner was, is either a master cleaner or never shot this thing. It's immaculate for a used revolver. I'm gonna call it "Lucky" since it arrived here on Friday the 13th.

Stump

·
Registered
189 Posts
With the Winchester White Box 110gr JHPs and the vintage Winchester Black Talons, I wonder if the problem was caused by the rims touching too tightly or the cartridges being a bit too large for the cylinder bores. Glad you found quite a few brands that fit perfectly. Enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Fafhrd,

It is definitely rim size as the last cartridge loaded was proud of the cylinder and resting on the rims of the cartridges on either side of the last cartridge loaded. I was able to press the rim down to squeeze the ast cartridge in and get the cylinder to close, but they were a bugger to pop free (can't imagine it would get easier after firing and with dirty chambers). Up until the last cartridge, all of the other cartridges seated fully in each individual chamber.

Thanks Again and have a great week!

·
Registered
13 Posts
just a quick update:

On the first (and only) range trip out with the revolver last month I experienced "rim-stick" with almost all brands, so back to Ruger it went. On a positive note, the revolver really showed great accuracy potential with most brands!

Fast forward to today.... I received an e-mail from the Ruger Customer Service Department stating the tech's had inspected the firearm and Ruger wished to send a current production replacement. I agreed and sent them my FFL's information.

Excellent service as always from Ruger and I hope this new one looks as good and shoots as accurately as the revolver I sent in did. Now the wait begins for the replacement to arrive and the new GP to serve its 10 days in gun jail.

I'll post up results when it arrives, until then...

THANK YOU Ruger Customer Service Team!

81 - 100 of 149 Posts