Ruger Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not getting the idea of leaving an empty chamber....and thinking operation would be 'normal' for a DA revolver. Might 'fix' one issue but then you have six shot....so why not just get the six shot. Still going to have a mystery empty chamber as your shooting.

I guess if u can't part with the $90, and I completely understand, try your 7 shot, cross your fingers, and if it no workie have Ruger replace it with a six shot.
Because I will use it as a 7 shot 99 percent of time but if theres an ammo shortage or if I get invited to range outta town want it to work with anything if possible

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can I use the bad ammo if I leave 7th chamber empty? I want the 7 shot and willing to compromise if I can load 6 outta 7 chambers without binding. Will it still bind if I leave 7th chamber empty?
CoffeeShooter, In my experience, leaving the 7th round out usually eliminated the binding, but the video below shows ammo binding with only 4 rounds loaded (happens just past 5:22). It varies. Whether it binds depends not just on the ammo, but the order in which they are loaded. Sometimes I could load six before it would bind and sometimes (rarely) I could get all seven in. I'm talking about those exact same rounds. That may be because they fit better if smaller rim diameters wind up adjacent to larger rim diameters. Or it might be because the rims aren't perfectly concentric with the case, in which case they may only bind when the case is rotated a certain way. You can see from the video that installing the same rounds in a different order results in slightly different binding.

If you expand the video description under the video on Youtube by clicking on SHOW MORE, there is a list of all the ammo brands that people have reported problems with, but not everyone experiences the problem with the same ammo. I didn't have problems with Blazer Brass .357, but others did. Some people have never had the problem at all, while others just don't see it as anything more than a minor inconvenience.

Good luck. Bottom line is that Ruger will replace the 7-shot with a 6-shot if you ask for it.

https://youtu.be/1lvjQCfRAKs?t=322
thanks so much. I see last update of yours was over a year ago. It will be interesting if it fits all ammo and fixed. If not a 6 shot would be preferred. Hopefully with same sights and grips. If I decide yes on the 7 shot tomorrow I will buy most of the problematic ammo my finances allow and sample them all.
If buds shipped me an older model then I'll just send mine in to replaced with new newer 7 shot since their customer service claimed they fixed problems in newer ones. If still no luck then will ask for a 6 shot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not getting the idea of leaving an empty chamber....and thinking operation would be 'normal' for a DA revolver. Might 'fix' one issue but then you have six shot....so why not just get the six shot. Still going to have a mystery empty chamber as your shooting.

I guess if u can't part with the $90, and I completely understand, try your 7 shot, cross your fingers, and if it no workie have Ruger replace it with a six shot.
Well I got the 7 shot. Called ruger gave them the serial and mine was made in May 2019. Not sure if mines the newest here. I was not able to try magtech, winchester or blaser in there as the store woudlnt let me load. I will try when I get home a variety of ammo. I will report findings and if if doesn't fit to my specifications ask them to change to sixer instead of 7. Am curious if anyone has a model newer than mine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well heres some news. I picked up the revolver and have not shot it but I loaded and closed it with three different ammos that were reported as problematic. Academy was out of the magtech that I often get for my 9 and had the Blazer in 38 but not 357 and the Winchester white 357 hollowpoints but not the 38. I will post more as I buy more and will give shooting performance when I have time to go to shooting range later this week. Here are some pics testing the fit. I am a amature with no measuring equipment or stand for phone so forgive the sloppiness. The ammo I tried all fits so far. Three brands. Blazer brass 38 special 125 grain FMJ, aguila 38 special 130 grain FMJ and Winchester white box 357 mag jacketed hollowpoints 110 grain. Will be a two parter to fit all the images.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Heres rest of images
That certainly looks better than I was seeing with my 7-shot. I definitely see space between some of those rounds whereas I wasn't able to run a feeler gauge between the rims on mine. I don't know if that means you'll never see the problem, though. I don't think there's sure-fire way to know that it will accept a full load of rims that are on the high side of the SAAMI spec without measuring rims until you find rounds that have larger rims and then trying them out.

Personally, I don't think that 7th round is worth the hassle, but that's just me.

By the way, when Ruger replaced my 7-shot with a 6-shot, I asked for the same grip and sights and they delivered.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heres rest of images
That certainly looks better than I was seeing with my 7-shot. I definitely see space between some of those rounds whereas I wasn't able to run a feeler gauge between the rims on mine. I don't know if that means you'll never see the problem, though. I don't think there's sure-fire way to know that it will accept a full load of rims that are on the high side of the SAAMI spec without measuring rims until you find rounds that have larger rims and then trying them out.

Personally, I don't think that 7th round is worth the hassle, but that's just me.

By the way, when Ruger replaced my 7-shot with a 6-shot, I asked for the same grip and sights and they delivered.
I plan on experimenting for a few range trips. If I encounter a common ammo it wont take I can let ruger know and get it fixed or swapped. I'm hoping the 7 works but worse case scenario ask ruger to give me a equally great revolver in six. Will keep on reporting here. Anything to help out the community and hopefully less headache for future buyers doing research.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heres rest of images

I noticed in your video the box says "Blazer Brass" and mine just says "Blazer" they're both made out of brass but wondering if maybe I purchased a different ammo than you. Same thing with different logos or different ammo entirely?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
A year later and people are still going on about this? Hasn't Ruger fixed this problem by now and fixed those initial guns that had issues?

·
Registered
210 Posts
A year later and people are still going on about this? Hasn't Ruger fixed this problem by now and fixed those initial guns that had issues?
There is no fix for this. Ruger would have to make the frame of the GP100 larger, and that is not going to happen. The fix for me was getting a 6-round GP100.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is no fix for this. Ruger would have to make the frame of the GP100 larger, and that is not going to happen. The fix for me was getting a 6-round GP100.
either blazer fixed ammo or ruger fixed newer models. I'm trying to find out asap so I can keep or call ruger demanding the 6 shot. What other brands of ammo you reccomend I test?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I noticed in your video the box says "Blazer Brass" and mine just says "Blazer" they're both made out of brass but wondering if maybe I purchased a different ammo than you. Same thing with different logos or different ammo entirely?
Good question. I don't know the answer. I noticed is says "Made in the USA" which is what it says on the Blazer Brass ammo I used. The website also says their ammo is US made which is true of some other ammo brands that people reported problems with. That's why I didn't like it when Ruger customer service started blaming the problem on "cheap foreign ammo".

To be honest, I don't much care for their claim that they have tried 17 brands of ammo and they all work. Finding some ammo brands that will fit is not exactly the same as saying all SAAMI compliant ammo brands will fit. If it won't accept all SAAMI compliant rims they should own up to it. The fact they don't, leaving buyers to find out after they've spent their money, is sleazy. Just my personal opinion of course. I know there are a lot of Ruger fans who would say that judgement is too harsh.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good question. I don't know the answer. I noticed is says "Made in the USA" which is what it says on the Blazer Brass ammo I used. The website also says their ammo is US made which is true of some other ammo brands that people reported problems with. That's why I didn't like it when Ruger customer service started blaming the problem on "cheap foreign ammo".

To be honest, I don't much care for their claim that they have tried 17 brands of ammo and they all work. Finding some ammo brands that will fit is not exactly the same as saying all SAAMI compliant ammo brands will fit. If it won't accept all SAAMI compliant rims they should own up to it. The fact they don't, leaving buyers to find out after they've spent their money, is sleazy. Just my personal opinion of course. I know there are a lot of Ruger fans who would say that judgement is too harsh.
I just called Blazer and its same ammo just new packaging. And yeah I agree its sleazy

·
Registered
33 Posts

To save time and money what's widest rim 357/38 ammo reported? Will order and try

·
Registered
505 Posts
If they offer the option to switch for a 6 shot It is what I would take. I cant be bothered with ANY gun that is finicky about ammo. Most of us can remember well the great ammo shortage that happened a few years back. What was on the shelf was what there was. If it happens to not be compatable with your gun ... your stuck

Even if you roll your own .. I dont want to worry about what components are available and what will work in a finicky gun.

I have a 686 plus and it has never had an issue with any of the brass I use. Still ... in hindsight .. I think I like the 6 shooter just a bit better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If they offer the option to switch for a 6 shot It is what I would take. I cant be bothered with ANY gun that is finicky about ammo. Most of us can remember well the great ammo shortage that happened a few years back. What was on the shelf was what there was. If it happens to not be compatable with your gun ... your stuck

Even if you roll your own .. I dont want to worry about what components are available and what will work in a finicky gun.

I have a 686 plus and it has never had an issue with any of the brass I use. Still ... in hindsight .. I think I like the 6 shooter just a bit better.
I've decided that if my 7 shot has unfixable problems and they wont give a 6 shot that I may see about a cheaper Taurus 692 as a back up for the rounds my ruger wont take(those 692s also have second cylinder for 9mm). This is a big if as I'm hoping that either A. My 7 shot now takes all and can be fixed to do as such or B. Ruger replaces with a reliable six shooter of same specifications as my 7 shot

·
Registered
69 Posts
To save time and money what's widest rim 357/38 ammo reported? Will order and try
No one knows which is widest because not everyone measured them. They just reported which ammo brands they had problems with. This is the list of ammo that people reported having problems with:

Blazer Brass .38 Special 125 gr. FMJ
Magtech .38 Special and 357
Armscor .38 Special 158 gr.
WInchester USA white box .38 Special
Hornady Critical Duty 357 (3/6/18)
Blazer Brass .357 (3/20/18) Woody Hayes in comments
Tula (3/20/18) Woody Hayes
GECO 357mag (6/14/18) giantpune
Vollmantel FMJ .38 special (10/24/18) Linda Goodman

That doesn't mean that everyone who tries this ammo will have problems or even that the people who reported problems would necessarily have problems with a different box of the same ammo. Even in the same box, rim diameters will vary a bit. Rim diameters are specified to have a dimension and a tolerance. The max diameter is 0.440 inches. Most people reported having problems with rims that were larger than 0.436 inches. A 6-shot will not have problems with a full load where all the rims are at max diameter. I doubt that any of the 7-shot GP100s would do the same, but the chances of that ever happening is close to zero.

I highly doubt Ruger will give you any trouble if you ask them to replace a 7-shot with a 6-shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a quick update from my end...

I haven't heard back from Ruger CS since sending in the pictures of the canted barrel. The CS rep I was working with has been gone, so just waiting for her to return to work. She seemed sincerely concerned about the pictures of the replacement revolver I sent in and was going to forward them to her supervisor. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.

Here's one of the pictures...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a layaway deposit on a GP100 7 Shot /1771, but after reading this thread (& many others) I decided to pull the plug on it and put the funds toward a S&W 686 Plus. Slightly disappointed as I really do like the GP100, especially the 1771. Ruger is a great company (I own several of their firearms), but they really blew it with the 7 Shot GP. I agree that there is likely no real fix without modifying the frame, etc. Even my LGS said "I don't blame you." They had two come back already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well update. I fired at range and all ammo I mentioned before performed flawlessly. I did buy a 4th ammo at the range the magtech 38 special which functioned amazing as well minus one failure to fire which was faulty ammo not the guns fault and no rim overlap.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 149 Posts