Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought new a new GP .357 4" SS. Trigger pull was very heavy, very rough. I did a "smoothing up" and polished all mating surfaces. Now the trigger pull is much smoother and has a nice crisp break, but is still very heavy. 8lbs+, my scale wouldn't measure that high. I expected something at least measurable. I have ordered a set of springs this morning. Hoping for 4-5 lbs SA. I have shot several older guns that had much lighter pull, I am surprised how heavy this one is, but it has been several years since I bought a new revolver, maybe they are just "worn in".

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The SA sear surfaces could have mismatched angles to create a SA pull that high. On GP100, Redhawk, SP101 I have easily obtained a smooth and light 3-4 lb SA pull with simple polishing.

·
Exchequer
5,057 Posts
Wow! 8 lbs plus on SA does not sound right to me.

And the cylinder isn't binding at all? You checked for any tiny metal shavings / debris in the trigger mechanism?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No metal shavings or burrs. have looked them over under magnification. Wondering if I should have a gunsmith tune it or send it to Ruger. It is only a week old. I have taken the trigger group apart and looked for misfit parts, everything looked good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hlg..

Cylinder stages fine and trigger is very smooth, it just has a very heavy pull. I had a friend look at it and was surprised when i told him how high the pull is. I have an older Ruger .327 Fed Mag and it is really noticeable when you compare the two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since your talking about SA pull it's likely to be the trigger return spring. It's been pointed out on the forum here many times that there can be a burr in the hole the spring sets in that can interfere with the spring action. And the spring itself can be the problem. I have a 90's production 6" GP11 that always had a much stiffer trigger pull than my others no matter how much I tinkered with the main spring. For years I stayed away from replacing trigger return springs on my guns. Eventually I warmed up to the idea and changed out the trigger return springs on all my GP's. It was an eye opener to look at the variations in length of those factory springs. The spring from the 6" was noticeably longer than any of the other, which explained a lot. The springs divide into two rough groups as to length. Longest to shortest the length is: .828-.791-.785 and the second group: .716-.705-.687. I don't know if the factory has changed their springs over the years, but even within the sub-groups there's a range of lengths. It's possible that your gun has a trigger return spring that is longer and/or heavier than the normal run of factory springs.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My experience with Rugers is they never have good triggers, but yours is ridiculous. Give them a call. I bought a M 77 MK II years ago, don't know what the pull was, my scale maxed out at 7#. The only Ruger I've ever owned that didn't need a trigger job is an LC9, it is what it is but it is light and smooth which is more than what can be said for any other Ruger I've ever owned. I did buy a Ruger AR15 lower that had a rather nice 2 stage pull, about 4-1/2# lbs, don't know what happened on it.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
To the OP I am not trying to put you down. I just see several posts on guys with new guns trying to do a trigger job etc ended up still having problems you might be better off to call Ruger and send it off to Customer service. Tell them your problem........but there's also lots of great advice here as well good luck to you!!! But it does sound from your description that something is not right I wish I could help you.

·
Exchequer
5,057 Posts
My experience with Rugers is they never have good triggers, but yours is ridiculous. Give them a call. I bought a M 77 MK II years ago, don't know what the pull was, my scale maxed out at 7#. The only Ruger I've ever owned that didn't need a trigger job is an LC9, it is what it is but it is light and smooth which is more than what can be said for any other Ruger I've ever owned. I did buy a Ruger AR15 lower that had a rather nice 2 stage pull, about 4-1/2# lbs, don't know what happened on it.
With the exception of the LCR line I would generally agree.

OP, like wkuban and gqucool said, you may want to give Ruger a call to let them know what is going on. They may ask you to send it back for a look see and fix the issue.

And ...welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have had the trigger return spring out and it was rusty. cleaned the hole with a Q-tip but didn't hone it. Q-tip slipped in and out without much drag. I swapped the hammer spring with an older GP100 and notice a marked difference in the DA, considerable less than the factory spring. I ran another 70 rounds through it this morning, total of 200+ now. I must admit that the SA is very crisp, no stacking or creep, just a crip, consistent break. Wilson Combat spring will be here next week, (on sale a Midway USA). I'll hone the return spring housing and plungers. If that gets me below 5lbs I could live with that as long as it stays
crisp and consistent.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Just bought new a new GP .357 4" SS. Trigger pull was very heavy, very rough. I did a "smoothing up" and polished all mating surfaces. Now the trigger pull is much smoother and has a nice crisp break, but is still very heavy. 8lbs+, my scale wouldn't measure that high. I expected something at least measurable. I have ordered a set of springs this morning. Hoping for 4-5 lbs SA. I have shot several older guns that had much lighter pull, I am surprised how heavy this one is, but it has been several years since I bought a new revolver, maybe they are just "worn in".
I have 4 GP 100s and a SP 101. I was not happy with the triggers on any of the guns. I did some research and found videos on U-Tube that give great detail on doing trigger jobs. I got some different grades of emery paper for auto painting, 600 to 1800 grit to polish the trigger and hammer parts.

I also found that Wolff Springs has some great spring kits for the Ruger GP 100s. (Super Redhawks) The kits I got came with 2 trigger return springs and 3 hammer springs. After some experimenting with the springs. I have settled on the 10 lb. trigger return and 10 lb. hammer spring. I did try the lighter springs but I had some misfires from the lighter hammer spring and the trigger was too light for my taste.

I also got some shims for the trigger assembly and hammer on the pistols. This took a lot of slop out of the moving parts. These came from Triggershims.com.

Having a couple of friends that like the GP 100 and SP 101, I have done trigger jobs for them as well. After the first couple the jobs became simple and went quickly and made the Rugers some excellent shooting guns. I have also done a trigger job on my 357 Redhawk 8 shot... Did I mention that I am a Ruger nut???

Steve S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gun is on its way back to Ruger. The trigger guard assemble came lose from the frame about 3/16" of an inch while while firing DA. I had noticed a small gap a couple of time before but could close it back up with pressure. The trigger guard latch had some play up and down in the trigger guard housing. I suspect since the trigger return spring is located in this same hole, the trigger and gap problems are related. Ruger customer service promptly emailed me the RMA and I shipped it to them yesterday. I had to return a SR22 once, it was fixed and returned quickly and I have not had any further problems. I anticipate this to be the same outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a call from Ruger Customer Service. They don't give an explanation but did offer to replace the gun with a brand new one. They said they would build one (2 weeks) and then hand inspect it in the customer service lab before shipping it. It will have to go to an FFL because it will have a new serial number. They were very polite but had not details of what was wrong with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received my new GP100 replacement from Ruger. Fit and finish is excellent. Action is much smoother and very crisp. SA pulls at 3.5# based on my scale. Customer service called to tell me when it shipped and even offered to pay the transfer fee. I had to receive it thur an FFL since it was a new gun. I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts