Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
Getting some custom work done on a GP100, going from a 4.2" barrel to a 3", is there any good reason not to keep the stock Ruger adjustable sights ?

Do they need to be changed out, this revolver will be used for carry and home defense and the occasional target shooting for practice.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thank you

·
Registered
319 Posts
I put bowen target sights on all my gp100’s, but I use them mostly for range toys. They help my old eyes shoot a little better. If you are not having any problems with the stock sight, the only reason to change would be for durability. I have broken the sight inserts before. They are cheap and easy to fix. If you keep a spare at the house, you should be ok. Here is a picture of the bowen target sight.
023414D0-20D6-4973-B0F2-66C5C7F9EF35.jpeg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your question will answer itself. After you shorten the barrel see if you can hit the point of aim at your desired distance, with your desired round. If you can't sight it in then you can either change sights that allow you to adjust higher or lower; or you can adjust bullet weight and/or velocity - heavier bullets go higher, faster & lighter bullets go lower.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The rough country sight is not as easily adjusted as the target version. With the rough country, you adjust your elevation and then lock it in with an allen wrench. The target version is click adjustable like the ruger sight. The stock blade on a rough country is not serrated, and has a white outline. You can order the rough country with a target blade like the blade in my picture. If I planned on shooting the same load out of a gun all the time, then I would get the rough country with the target blade. The rough is a little more robust.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I would wait and see how it shoots. I have never changed the stock adjustable sights on a GP100, the white out-lined rear sight blade worked fine for me. I would either paint the front sight orange, or in my current 5 inch bbl GP100 I bought a Hi-Viz fibre optic front sight only. But, I don't carry my GP100 revolvers and I'm not very hard on them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Ruger rear sight is decent as it is, and reasonably durable. I'd keep it; while the Bowen sight is heavier-duty, and with other blade options, unless you reall have a discernable need for it over the OEM, I'd save the money and spend it on ammunition, training and practice.

I strongly second the recommendation for painting the front sight blade. Put a base coat of white first, and then folllow up with 1-3 coats of your favorite color-mine is Testor's Flourescent Orange. In my opinion, it's just as, if not more visible and easy to acquire/align as a fiber optic front.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
319 Posts
As my eyes age, for target shooting, I prefer black sights. For hunting, I require a red dot sight or a scope. I like the bowen sights with a two dogs front sight because the sight picture is much more crisp. Painted sights give me a fuzzy sight picture. I also have Fermin thin my front sight blades from the stock .125” to .110”. This gives me an even crisper sight picture. I also do not use black targets as my sights blend in too much. YMMV.

I realize that the op is probably going to use his gun for cc. I am just giving my thoughts in the hope that it may help some of the more occular challenged individuals on here.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Or, slap a red dot on it. Obviously this rail won't work for u but I believe there are some mounts that only use the rear sight mounting area.
0223201248_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have Hi-Viz on another Ruger great in daylight or under lights and Bright red paint on another GP100 which looks good and works great. Looking for a front sight to use both day and night.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a set of William's fire sights on mine. At first I tried a Hi Viz front. But IMO, the William's is brighter.

Reactions: shakatak

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I would be tempted to address the front sight first for CC and home defense. As one does not know if they will need the gun at night I use tritium front sights. While good in the dark some do not pick up too well in the light. I use XS Sights for the front. They come in either Big Dot or Standard Dot and are prominent in the daylight. For the rears I use either the Bowen Rough Country or Target on my GP's. For CC carry and home defense that GP has a Rough Country rear. First, the Rough Country offers several style rear sight blades including one made to work with XS front sights. Second, it is less likely to be knocked out of adjustment and lastly for defense use I imagine one would choose his load and lock in the adjustment compared to a gun used for target shooting. For target shooting I do like the flat blade of the rear Bowen sight. At one time Millett offered adjustable rear sights for Rugers but they have been out of production for a while albeit one might find one on various online sites.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
A person has to look at the fibre-optic sights and see which one works best for them. My GP100 wears a Hi-Viz front sight while my MKII Ruger semi-auto has a Tru-Glo sight on it. The Tru-glo is a smaller diameter tube and seems to work better with fine target shooting.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Not necessarily an answer to the OP, but I was fortunate enough to purchase a 3" GP 100 with fixed sights. Ruger seems to think that adjustable unit of theirs is the cat's meow for some reason? Sure it's very adjustable and pretty much all shooters and all shooter's eyes can get their adjustable sights adjusted to their individual liking. But why in their short barreled models? If it's going to be a carry gun, wouldn't it make more sense to have fixed sights? Nothing to get hung on clothing and won't ever get out of alignment.

There's a company currently making a fixed sight replacement for S&W revolvers. The adjustable sight is removed and the solid steel fixed sight replacement is screwed down to the bottom of the sight base cut. It turns adjustable sight, short barreled S&W revolvers into perfect pocket/carry guns. At one time they made a unit for Rugers, but they've never ventured out to produce one for the Ruger double actions. The quote was "There has not been enough interest expressed to warrant the cost of tooling". A shame I'd say. The Bowen sights are indeed very stout and durable sights, but they still stick out like a fish hook in the brush. Smithy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts