Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the GP and SP to the range yesterday. The more I shoot the GP, the better I like it. I've always liked the SP, but for sheer pleasure to shoot, the GP wins, hands down.....:D

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Yep, the GP has a much better trigger pull too, IMHO, than the SP. The SP "stacks" way too much at the end, while the GP is much smoother throughout the pull.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
They are both great revolvers with the GP the easiest to shoot well and the SP the easiest to conceal and carry all day.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I find the 3" GP100 to be almost as easy to conceal as the SP101, but I'm used to packing a 4" N-Frame Smith. :)

Biker

·
Registered
133 Posts
Took the GP and SP to the range yesterday. The more I shoot the GP, the better I like it. I've always liked the SP, but for sheer pleasure to shoot, the GP wins, hands down.....:D
I shot today...kinda wish I had gotten another GP100 instead of another SP101 just because of the recoil and lack of accuracy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Every time I mentioned how much I like shooting my 4" GP100, my son reminds me how I sniffed when he said it was a great revolver and how fast I bought one after he finally forced me to shoot his. It's one of those guns that are just a pleasure to shoot. I didn't think it had much recoil until I started shooting the same ammo in it and my new Blackhawk .357. Same loads seem a bit snappier in the GP100. I've been eyeing SP101's but I think the BH took me out of that market for a while. Ruger did a fine job on these revolvers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a SP101 3" model on the way from Buds. I've never been this excited about a Monday EVER! Now to find some good prices on accessories...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dreaded, you'll love the SP. I have the snubbie, but all the SP's are really great revolvers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a SP101 3" model on the way from Buds. I've never been this excited about a Monday EVER! Now to find some good prices on accessories...
If it is a .357, you will probably want to shoot .38's for practice and .38+P for carry, once you've shot the .357's. You will know that you can shoot them if you want to. LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lanber, shouldn't be a problem. I actually enjoy shooting my .454 but that's just me. :D It's actually suppose to be the HD gun for the wife so I'm sure it will get a steady diet of .38's, I don't want her to be afraid of it. If she doesn't enjoy it, I'll find it a happy home somewhere in my weekly range routine for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
lanber, shouldn't be a problem. I actually enjoy shooting my .454 but that's just me. :D It's actually suppose to be the HD gun for the wife so I'm sure it will get a steady diet of .38's, I don't want her to be afraid of it. If she doesn't enjoy it, I'll find it a happy home somewhere in my weekly range routine for it.
Well, if you're a .454 man, you won't be bothered by the recoil of .357 magnums in a small pistol.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
What I would like to see would be a GP-100 in 44 S&W. Just a wish that will only happen at the custom level.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I like both, and the SP has smoothed up nicely. But neither beats the Security Six I've been shooting since 1980. Now, that trigger is almost as good as the Smiths, and can take WAAY more punishment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts