Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
Now the question, are you going to shoot it or carry it much, or is that pretty finish going to make it a safe queen?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Now the question, are you going to shoot it or carry it much, or is that pretty finish going to make it a safe queen?
Shoot and carry! Guns were made to be shot, in my opinion. Especially the GP100. Now that this one is pretty, it’ll be carried with pride.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Considering all that you went through to get the beautiful blued steel GP100 that you have, I would maybe consider adding a stainless steel GP100 to the inventory for carry and use the nice blued steel model for the range and show. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here’s a question for the experts: would the 5 re-blues of this gun adversely affect the metallurgy / integrity of the steel? Or are the temperature for bluing not significant enough to affect the steel’s overall integrity?
Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I do not know if it has changed but bluing used to be done at around 300 F. Heat treating is much higher temperature. I would say you are good to go.

Disclaimer - only knowledgeable here, I am by no means a metalurgist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is hard to believe that the blueing would be messed up like that. Years ago I had a problem with a Blackhawk .45 and sent it in for repairs and they put a blueing on it that I call a S&W blue job from years ago. I was very happy with the work done on my Blackhawk.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m going to do limited carry with my new blue 5 inch half lug. I’ve got a Kramer belt scabbard being made right now. Any holster is going to wear a blue finish but I just gotta do it! It’s gonna be toooo cool on my hip!
Yours looks great! I’m thrilled for you. Maybe a range report soon ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
In one word....'sweet'. So glad it ended well for you. Now all you have to do is shoot it and enjoy it and if it shoots anything like my s/s 3" GP100 you will be wearing a constant smile.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts