Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 3" GP100 and was wondering if anyone knew where I might be able to pick up a bobbed hammer? I don't want to bob the current hammer, as I might not like this gun as DAO and want to retain the ability to switch back. I checked all of the usual sources (Numrich, GunBroker, and Ebay) and didn't find anything... I sent Ruger an email, but I'm not sure that they even still offer this part. Anyone know where to find one or have an extra one laying around?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting idea. You probably already thought of this but you could get a standard hammer and alter it yourself. Whatever you end up doing, I hope you post some pics.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That wouldn't be something that I'd do. I like the option of a well placed single action shot with a light trigger pull. Why exactly do you want to bob the hammer? Snagging on clothes?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read in these pages that the hammer is a fitted part. What if you just removed the current one and sent the gun back to Ruger? Would they fit you a new one? For.a reasonable fee of course. Maybe they'll even fit a bobbed hammer.Might be worth asking.

I can see wanting to bob the hammer to carry it concealed but I'm not happy enough with the DA pull on my GP yet to make it a DAO. I like the SA too much. For me the LCR is DAO done right and I'll keep the GPs spurred even if I do decide to carry one at some point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already sent Ruger a message asking about that- removing the current hammer and sending the gun in. If they'll do it it will probably still be a regular spurred hammer.. I would then have to find someone to work it over, as I don't have the tools and I'm not really ready for that level of modification. As for being able to make single-action shots, I'm not sure I'll like DAO and want to be able to go back to original. This gun in its current form is certainly not ready for me to shoot DAO, but I have a set of ISMI springs that I'm hoping help out with that...

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
ISMI springs are awesome, I've got them in two of my GP's.

A GP100 factory bobbed hammer is a tough find, you'll likely be looking a long time.

Numrich has plenty of the factory spurless stainless and blue hammers for the Six series, I wish the GP spurless hammers were as easy to find.

I was able to find 3 of them, several years ago, by trading with people who had just bought the (then plentiful) Canadian trade-in GP100's that had factory spurless hammers. These guns were cheap, and all over gun shows, so people were buying them up and looking for spurred hammers, which I was more than happy to provide in exchange for a spurless hammer.

I put them in 3 of my GP100's, because I love DAO GP100's......... Most people want the SA function and were more than happy to trade me for my spurred hammer. 95% of the time they will drop in, as long as you retain the original hammer dog. Even better is a spurred to spurless conversion,since the "fitting" of the SA sear and notch will no longer be an issue, you just drop them in.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If the cost is reasonable, I like the plan of having Ruger fit a spurred hammer (if they won't do bobbed) and then find someone to bob it. It's a simple job for a gunsmith.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I already sent Ruger a message asking about that- removing the current hammer and sending the gun in. If they'll do it it will probably still be a regular spurred hammer.. I would then have to find someone to work it over, as I don't have the tools and I'm not really ready for that level of modification. As for being able to make single-action shots, I'm not sure I'll like DAO and want to be able to go back to original. This gun in its current form is certainly not ready for me to shoot DAO, but I have a set of ISMI springs that I'm hoping help out with that...

Just get a replacement hammer and do it yourself. All you need is a hacksaw, vise, one or two files to smooth the saw cuts and some fine to extra fine sand paper or cloth (400, 600 and 1200 grit) to get the job done. Just take your time and it'd done.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Just get a replacement hammer and do it yourself. All you need is a hacksaw, vise, one or two files to smooth the saw cuts and some fine to extra fine sand paper or cloth (400, 600 and 1200 grit) to get the job done. Just take your time and it'd done.
Pretty much...yeah! Keep an eye on ebay...I've seen various GP100 parts on their before and the hammers tend to go quick with the 'buy now' prices!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have heard all the "spurless" GP100 hammers started life as spurred hammers, when cast........Ruger techs just whack the spurs off and don't cut an SA notch, and then they finish and fit them. It's easier to do this and less costly then setting up a mold for spurless hammers. It's probably a 5 second job for them, with all the correct tools. Knowing Ruger they probably re-melt the severed spurs into new hammers.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I"ve not noted Ruger doing custom work before. That's a whole different business model that's quite different. I don't think they see themselves as custom gunsmiths, rather as production gun makers.

Try Brownells or Numrich for a hammer to wack down.

Yes, it should be a fitted part as it's part of the timing/firing process. You may get lucky but there you are.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The spurless hammer dropped into this GP100 just fine, it's my ".38 Special target revolver" with ISMI springs......

That said, a GOOD gunsmith can do a bob for you and make it look like it came that way.......I had a guy who has a full machine shop do a "S&W J-frame style" bob on my .22 SP101 and couldn't be happier with it, he whacked the spur off and blended and beadblasted the grain to make it look like the spur was never there, cost me $80 but it's better than paying Jim Bob the shade tree gunsmith $40 for a hack job.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently called Ruger about putting a bobbed hammer on my SP 101 3". They said they would do it for $100.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I recently called Ruger about putting a bobbed hammer on my SP 101 3". They said they would do it for $100.
Interesting to know. Thanks.

I was under the incorrect impression that Ruger had some sort of "we always return to stock condition" policy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Keep checking the sites you listed. They sell out quickly. I always buy spare parts to mess with and keep originals as well.
It is easy to do if you have a grinding wheel. Have Fun!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I wonder if when Ruger fits a new hammer for $100 if you get the old hammer back? Something to consider. I would keep checking the various websites, too. They seem to turn up in batches and hammers are $20-25. You could probably get a local gunsmith to bob it for $20 so it would be a cheaper way to go. Also, if bobbed the single action could be retained. Ruger did just that on some bobbed hammers for the old Speed Sixes and even serrated the top of the hammer for cocking aid, not that I recommend it but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Interesting to know. Thanks.

I was under the incorrect impression that Ruger had some sort of "we always return to stock condition" policy.
Just guessing but there might be an exception for the SP101 since bobbed versions are in the catalog.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I wonder if when Ruger fits a new hammer for $100 if you get the old hammer back? Something to consider. I would keep checking the various websites, too. They seem to turn up in batches and hammers are $20-25. You could probably get a local gunsmith to bob it for $20 so it would be a cheaper way to go. Also, if bobbed the single action could be retained. Ruger did just that on some bobbed hammers for the old Speed Sixes and even serrated the top of the hammer for cocking aid, not that I recommend it but it can be done.
Ruger, typically, does not return any parts with repairs or 'changes' to firearms.

I am able to do the work myself so I just keep an eye on ebay and occasionally jump on something quick then just work on it myself! It's really not hard...simply do it on a piece of wood first...get it where you want it...then do it on the metal!

Go slow...take your time...think of good finished products as 'works-of-art' so time should not be of concern while doing one!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts