Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awaiting my first GP100 (also first 357). Is there any reasoning to running a bunch of 38 special through before any mag loads for break in? Maybe I'm over thinking this?

Thanks
ZW

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You are perhaps overthinking, but on the wrong (expensive) side. You might consider doing the "poor man's trigger job" instead. Any type of a "break-in" will involve cycling the action/trigger group to smooth things out. Using .38 spl does NOTHING different than shooting mags through it. Except maybe leaving fouling in the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You'll get that dirty ring around the chamber, clean it good.
What I did is alternate 1st 150 rounds 38-357, 6 or 12 rounds then switch.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just shoot the bloody thing! And enjoy doing it. The gp100 is a tank remember.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess I will keep going with what has already been stated,buy a lot of 38 and 357,load,shoot,repeat and have fun!! Shot some milk jugs full of water with some 357 hollow points and enjoy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Or, if you so desire:

Recommended Cleaning Procedures « Montana X-Treme

Click on the "PROFESSIONAL NEW BARREL BREAK-IN PROCEDURE" link.

I just shot mine, then cleaned afterwards.

I would like to point out, .38 specials are shorter, but we know that obviously...But, shooting .357 after .38 will provide extra "baking in" of the shorter .38 crud ring... food for thought

·
Registered
330 Posts
Broke mine in with a mess of 357's. Nearly broke my hand but man it was fun. Still get a kick shooting full loads in it. Enjoy your gp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Or, if you so desire:

Recommended Cleaning Procedures « Montana X-Treme

Click on the "PROFESSIONAL NEW BARREL BREAK-IN PROCEDURE" link.

I just shot mine, then cleaned afterwards.

I would like to point out, .38 specials are shorter, but we know that obviously...But, shooting .357 after .38 will provide extra "baking in" of the shorter .38 crud ring... food for thought

heh, its odd to me that you're the first to suggest an actual barrel break in procedure. I have been taught for many years to break in your barrels. I have done it on all my firearms. Most barrel manufactures provide a barrel brake in procedure. many now say its a myth. i figure i will go with the manufacturer :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Broke mine in with a mess of 357's. Nearly broke my hand but man it was fun. Still get a kick shooting full loads in it. Enjoy your gp
Yeah, I don't bother with .38 special.
Love the boot from .357 too much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't be afraid to dry fire it. That will help smooth the action and probably build strength in your trigger finger. You'll find it gets easier and easier to squeeze through. Is it because of the action smoothing or your finger getting stronger? Who knows? Who cares?

The accuracy will improve with shooting. Is it because you're getting better or the barrel is smoothing? Who knows? Who cares?

My experience has been it just gets better and better with dry firing and shooting.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
DO clean it first. If you over think anything, over think that.

Guns come from the factory with 'stuff' that ranges from none to OMG.

People have found the barrels and trigger works packed with grease and metal chips. It will help you to get to know your gun before your first range trip too.

Don't use the cheapest crap ammo on the first trip. Too many people do then bad mouth the gun when it doesn't shoot 1 moa at 1000 yards.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Clean it first as Spike said. After shooting clean again. Just to clarify, the shorter 38's will
leave the chamber dirty over time and can make 357's difficult to chamber or eject. A proper brass brush and clp in the chamber will do it. Don't get too aggressive on the cylinder face with anything abrasive or you can increase the BC gap over the long haul. I just give that area a good clp wipe and leave the black rings alone.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I shoot .357s more, I like the echoes from the mountains.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You will find after pulling the trigger 600-800 times or so that the action smooths out quite nicely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts