Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this new GP100 before the pandemic. BC gap was too tight (less than .002 on some chambers). Bluing has staining from the factory. Ruger just shipped it back inside of two weeks. BC gap is now good (.004) and the gun is refinished. But: the new barrel they put on is slightly leaning to the right. The rear sight is cranked to the right. The 15 yard test target the factory shipped has some rounds a little left of center. I suppose Ruger considers this OK.
I’m thinking about trying to send it back, since the rear sight needs to be so far to the right for 15 yards. All of my local ranges are closed.
3DA0FACB-A679-473D-BA64-C3682624F52D.jpeg

Should I just consider this ok? Try to send it back? If they try to fix, the BC gap could change. Thoughts?

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
If you're not happy with what they did, you should let them know and ask them to make it right. Ruger CS is usually very accomodating.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For what it’s worth, here is what mine looks like. I had to send mine back to Ruger due to a deep rust spot on the barrel and machine marks everywhere. It came back looking like it should have in the first place. It’s a range gun for me and I don’t think I’ve put this gun on paper. I can easily hit a 10-inch steel plate at 20 yards, and I’m good with that. I've never touched the sights.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it were mine, it would go back to Ruger - no questions asked... Too much $$$ invested for that to be acceptable...

Reactions: sabbfan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, send it back. I'd be very nice about it but I'd share with Ruger that I expect 100% quality when they return it, or it will be coming back, again.

I have had to send both my GPs back to Ruger immediately after first shots so I have a jilted opinion of their first time through quality. If they put a new barrel on and it's 'off' then they need to fix it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We don't get the quality we pay for now days, that's for sure. It makes me mad to pay 600 to 80 or even more and the gun have to be sent in on warranty or you have to pay to have it repaired, happened to me with Ruger, S&W, Kimber, Browning, Beretta Glock, it must be all of them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Purchased this new GP100 before the pandemic. BC gap was too tight (less than .002 on some chambers). Bluing has staining from the factory. Ruger just shipped it back inside of two weeks. BC gap is now good (.004) and the gun is refinished. But: the new barrel they put on is slightly leaning to the right. The rear sight is cranked to the right. The 15 yard test target the factory shipped has some rounds a little left of center. I suppose Ruger considers this OK.
I’m thinking about trying to send it back, since the rear sight needs to be so far to the right for 15 yards. All of my local ranges are closed. View attachment 143340 View attachment 143340 View attachment 143341
Should I just consider this ok? Try to send it back? If they try to fix, the BC gap could change. Thoughts?
Omg!!! I bought my satin stainless GP 100 with exactly the same issue but worse. I just read your post right now. The reason i bought the Brownells special Ruger sight screw was because of this issue. My rear sight was cranked all the way to the LEFT and noticed the entire Barrel to be really off centered. When i moved the rear soght to the right i finally managed to line up the sights. But mine is much worse than yours. I dont want to send it back as this is primarily a safe queen and or back up to my Blued GP which is both my range and home defense gun. I got it slightly scuffed up when i was readjusting the screw yesterday, lol. Hurts my feelings not only my brand new Satin stainless is scratched the barrel is also not perfect, lol. But oh well i think its just aesthetics as it still lines up and points well, feels very balanced and trigger pull is immaculate.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Omg!!! I bought my satin stainless GP 100 with exactly the same issue but worse. I just read your post right now. The reason i bought the Brownells special Ruger sight screw was because of this issue. My rear sight was cranked all the way to the LEFT and noticed the entire Barrel to be really off centered. When i moved the rear soght to the right i finally managed to line up the sights. But mine is much worse than yours. I dont want to send it back as this is primarily a safe queen and or back up to my Blued GP which is both my range and home defense gun. I got it slightly scuffed up when i was readjusting the screw yesterday, lol. Hurts my feelings not only my brand new Satin stainless is scratched the barrel is also not perfect, lol. But oh well i think its just aesthetics as it still lines up and points well, feels very balanced and trigger pull is immaculate.
If it's canted that badly and bothers you Ruger would probably replace the barrel(NC) and get it back to you inside of two weeks normally. I'd contact Ruger CS about it and ask about repair delays due to Covid.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Somebody clue me in. I don't even see a barrel in those photos, and the grouping at 15 yards looks pretty darn good to me. And the rear sight looks likes it's screwed to the left, not the right. Okay, nevermind. I see it now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it's canted that badly and bothers you Ruger would probably replace the barrel(NC) and get it back to you inside of two weeks normally. I'd contact Ruger CS about it and ask about repair delays due to Covid.
Do you think they will remove the small scratches that i have created too, lol. Im not a very handy person even with those tiny brownells screwdrivers, i am more affected of the scratches than the canted barrel. I have never sent any of my guns out for shipment and i am afraid some snafu might happen especially i am in a very gun UNfriendly state(CA).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Do you think they will remove the small scratches that i have created too, lol. Im not a very handy person even with those tiny brownells screwdrivers, i am more affected of the scratches than the canted barrel. I have never sent any of my guns out for shipment and i am afraid some snafu might happen especially i am in a very gun UNfriendly state(CA).
Your gun, your choice If you are not satisfied with the canted barrel contact Ruger customer service and provide photos if they ask. They may even fix those scratches, you never know. Ruger re-barreled a GP for me. They provided me with a shipping label, I packed it properly, took it to Fed Ex( and declared it a firearm). In 8-9 days, my GP was back re-blued and barreled. My state laws may be very different than California. Make sure you know yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I would give it a shot. I think Ruger will take care of you, and fixing those minor scratches will be no problem for them. Your Ruger should meet your expectations so that you will be proud to show it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the feedback. I sent it back on Tuesday May 19, with a note about the barrel cant, along with a request that the BC gap and forcing cone are kept at the current measurements.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just received the gp100 back from its 2nd trip to the factory. Good news: the barre is straight. BAD NEWS: They ruined the blued finish. It appears to be stained all over the frame. I’m very disappointed with the finish. Is this supposed to be a normal bluing job these days??

·
Registered
279 Posts
That’s kind of how my brand new GP100 arrived plus a deep rust spot on the barrel. I sent it back and the gun came back looking like it should have in the first place. My experience with Ruger CS has been good, but your gun is unacceptable. If it was me, I would try to contact the CS manager with your history with the gun and photos of how it came back from it’s second trip to Ruger. Put it on a target to make sure it is shooting straight first in case there is a problem there. Might even consider having them replace with a new GP100.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s kind of how my brand new GP100 arrived plus a deep rust spot on the barrel. I sent it back and the gun came back looking like it should have in the first place. My experience with Ruger CS has been good, but your gun is unacceptable. If it was me, I would try to contact the CS manager with your history with the gun and photos of how it came back from it’s second trip to Ruger. Put it on a target to make sure it is shooting straight first in case there is a problem there. Might even consider having them replace with a new GP100.
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'm mulling over how to handle this. Here's my thought: The gun now has a barrel cylinder gap that I consider perfect. the barrel is now perfectly straight. I have yet to see one like that before now (and I've owned a lot of Rugers). The lock up is tight. Trigger pull is smooth and not too heavy.

If I ask for a new one: odds tell me that something will be wrong with that one. I can always send this back for a re-finish, either by Ruger or an outside company. I'm inclined to shoot it when I get a chance to, and if it's a performer, keep the gun and get the finish addressed either by Ruger or someone else.

Mechanically it's sound now. it's just a little ugly. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts