Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
American 1776, please let us know what you wind up doing. I have come to believe that nothing man made is absolutely perfect. My stainless steel 5 inch bbl GP100 made in 2010 is about as close as I have come on a Ruger revolver. I understand your being hesitant to send this one back again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'm mulling over how to handle this. Here's my thought: The gun now has a barrel cylinder gap that I consider perfect. the barrel is now perfectly straight. I have yet to see one like that before now (and I've owned a lot of Rugers). The lock up is tight. Trigger pull is smooth and not too heavy.

If I ask for a new one: odds tell me that something will be wrong with that one. I can always send this back for a re-finish, either by Ruger or an outside company. I'm inclined to shoot it when I get a chance to, and if it's a performer, keep the gun and get the finish addressed either by Ruger or someone else.

Mechanically it's sound now. it's just a little ugly. LOL
Sounds like a plan. All new Rugers I have ever bought have had to go back to fix something. They had to replace my Mini-14. They just could not fix it and the replacement gun came with a similar problem, but one I could live with. That spurred me to buy an AR-15 which has never had a problem. Mini-14 hasn’t been shot in years. All used Rugers I have bought have been perfect. If it were me, I would have Ruger address the bluing. No sense paying someone else to blue it when it should be Ruger's problem, but that’s me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Honestly, I would shoot it. If it’s dead on I would just keep it. I would rather have a gun that shoots perfect than a gun that looks perfect, but shoots patterns.

For what it’s worth, you could coat the gun or have it CerakoteD especially if you bought it to use in the field.

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
From the pictures I’ve seen with other Forum Members Rugef GP100’s I would also send them back as well. I looked for over 2 years before I found the GP100 .357 that I have. I ended up with a Blued Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. It has been excellent & very accurate for a 3 inch barrel. But I really checked it over very carefully. I’m thinking that yes Rugers QC needs to improve. But also guys need to take the time to really check out the revolver that you ended up with. I will never buy a revolver online!!! That’s why I will buy the revolver at the LGS that I checked over!!! Good luck to you guys getting your GP100’s this way you want!! I have also bought or traded firearms person to person once it’s been throughly looked over. My last revolver I bought was a really nice Taurus pre safety Model 605 blued got it with 3 boxes of shells and leather holster for $250.00 it has been excellent very nice find!!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts