Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and I'm sure this has been covered before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I searched for GP100 with no results and looked at a lot of IOWEGAN's posts without success.

Anyway, a local gun shop has tempted me with a 6" GP100 stainless which is in new condition. I don't have the kind of money to let me just buy it, so I have to trade in my S&W 686 8" stainless if I want the Ruger. I've had trigger work done on the Smith to make it super light and the only thing I don't like about the gun is the 8 3/8" barrel. Doesn't fit well in my gun bag, doesn't feel as balanced as the Ruger, feels a bit cumbersome.

Like a lot of folks I'm having the SW vs Ruger quandry. The Ruger feels better to my big hand and the trigger is real crisp. From my limited perspective, the trigger feels great, just needs to be lighter.

Another website said that IOWEGAN has a PDF that he has made available to GP100 owners that want to slick up their triggers. I'd love to get that PDF if it's still available. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight with all the back and forth over whether or not I should trade my SW before someone else gets the Ruger. I thought maybe the PDF might help me decide one way or the other.

I know by now from the online reading I've done that SW's fit & finish (internally) is better than Ruger and that it's more complicated to work on. But the GP100 I'm looking at looks mighty sweet from the outside. So if the innards need some polish, I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I decide on the trade. Also, cast steel vs forged steel has me a bit concerned too.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've never owned a S&W revolver...never really wanted one. I do own two Ruger's GP and SP. Would not part with them. Iowegan's IBOK is a must have. Contact him.

BTW, drop on over to the New Member gallery and let us know a little bit about you...and welcome to the forum.....:)

·
Registered
540 Posts
The GP100 can be pretty easily made to have a - for lack of better term, 'freakin awesome' trigger pull, both DA, and SA. I've got a 4" that was a DAO I converted back to DA/SA. Dropped in a Wolff spring kit, did a very small amount of polishing and it is smooth as butter in DA, and target light in SA.

Oh, and they're built like a tank!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iowegan's IBOK is a must have. Contact him.
How do I send him a message? Before I signed up, there was a link that said, "Send Iowegan a personal message". I clicked on it but wasn't allowed to send until I became a member. So I joined, then the link vanished and I can't find it anywhere.:( I went through my personal options to see if there was anything that looked weird, but everything looked OK.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I put lighter springs in mine, but the thing that really made it smooth was shooting it. I swear every 100 rounds I put through it, it feels better every time!

·
Registered
195 Posts
PM me and I can send you a PDF of the guide on how to "clean up" the GP100.

I have done it to 3 different GP100s and put in Wolf 10/10 lb spring kits in and had FANTASTIC results. I sold my 586 after I got a hardly used blue GP100 in trade + $125. I came out AHEAD on that one. (I found a millet front sight as well for $12)

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, I'm seriously frustrated now. How do I PM you and where did the link go to private message Iowegan?? I don't find links to do either.
I found out ya have to have at least 10 posts before the PM and E-Mail
options work ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A PDF copy of the guide is inbound to your email!!!
Thank you! Looking forward to it. Pretty upset right now though, I went back to the gun store and they'd sold the GP100! Only had it in for a little over a week. I was all ready to tweak, change springs, polish, etc. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
this was a nice read .... sorry you didnt get your GP100 ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
IBOK for my GP100

New to the forum. I'm interested in finding a copy of IBOK for my GP100. From what I can tell, Iowegan no longer has them for sale. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get a copy, I would appreciate it. I've seen the link to Wordpress, but, I was hoping for my own PDF copy with pictures.

Many thanks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,704 Posts
GP1022MKII, Sorry, you're just a bit late. The IBOKs were pulled off the Forum in November of 2009 and the Gun Guides stopped selling in January of 2011.

dperino, Wall papering the forum with useless posts to get your post count up is not permitted.

I closed this 5 year old thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.