Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Hello, all.

I am a new revolver owner and have a question. I was trying to disassemble my gp100 .357 for the first time and ran into a snag. I followed the directions in the owner's manual to a T, and found that the hammer pivot pin does not come out. I tried applying force to the end of the pin, and prying a bit on the flange end, both while holding trigger as instructed. No dice. This gun is my second wife and I don't want to damage it. Any advice for a novice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your tips,
protect the 2nd

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't hold the trigger on any of mine.
Let go & try tapping lightly on the end of the pin with a NON-MARRING pointy object.
Denis

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1. Or just push it really hard. The same with reassembling, make sure all of the parts are in the alignment inside and at the front end, and push it in really hard. Use gloves to avoid cuts on your first try.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I've never had one give me much problem. My only other suggestion is to give it a shot of spray gun oil down into the frame surrounding the hammer pin and cycle the hammer back and forth a few times to work the oil in and give it another try. Take your time and don't force anything.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Is the hammer spring removed ???

It does help to release all pressures by pullin the trigger a bit (1/4 stroke)

Tye trigger back with a zip tye then tap with a brass punch , after removal inspect for burrs on the frame/hammer & related parts.

I`ve had 2burrs that the hammer pin caught & folded inward to make the pin a tap out job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, everyone. When I have time to tackle it again, I'll try the suggestions you provided.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up putting a piece of hard plastic against the pin and tapping with a hammer. One tap and the pin broke free and slid right out by hand. I'll check it for burs and inspect the frame and hammer. Thanks again for the help guys. Being new to handguns, this forum is an awesome resource for learning!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts