Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered one of these from MidwayUSA (fingers too narrow for the Hogue and my third finger lands directly atop the second ridge), and its been on backorder for weeks. About every week the date moves back another week (Currently expected Nov. 10).

Who actually manufactures these? Is the demand so high they can't keep up?

I'd really prefer a new one... this year. I'm open to suggestions.

Mark

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Is this the one you mean, also out of stock at Brownells:

GRIPS, PAIR, RUBBER, W/WOOD INSERTS | Brownells

They were always going in & out of stock two years ago, so seems nothing has changed. They come in a plain zip lock bag with no info on who makes them.

I bought those grips last year, but after a couple trips to the range switched back to the Hogue grips that came with my GP100 in 2008. With that rosewood insert they look great & I love the lack of finger grooves. Unfortunately, they're smaller which my XL paws don't like. In particular they make for an even shorter trigger reach which I hate. The smooth wood inserts also like to slip around in a sweaty hand. While I'm less than thrilled with Hogue mono grips, I find them less offensive than these.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
First of all markian welcome to the forum. If you're referring to the wood inserts for the old Lett grips there's a fellow who has them in stock and makes them himself. Try chigsgrips.com and take a look at what he has.

Here's several of the panels he's made for me. Fit and finish is excellent and very easy person to do business with. He makes them himself one set at a time and the price is right.:):):)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hey... WELCOME. Altamont has them, but they are slightly different than factory... they are checkered on the back edge of the rubber grip. They do look like the originals though. Then you need the wood inserts, grip locator pin and screw, but Midway has the locator pin and screw. good luck. stick around... this is a great place.

Altamont Company - Ruger

Heres a great place for beautiful wood inserts

Chig's Grips | Custom Panels for your Ruger SP101 & GP100

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sorry markian I posted SP panels. Here are several GPs and once again from chigsgrips.com.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've ordered one of these from MidwayUSA (fingers too narrow for the Hogue and my third finger lands directly atop the second ridge), and its been on backorder for weeks. About every week the date moves back another week (Currently expected Nov. 10).

Who actually manufactures these? Is the demand so high they can't keep up?

I'd really prefer a new one... this year. I'm open to suggestions.

Mark

Your are right, everyone seems to be out of these. I bought mine at Brownell's about a year ago. Then a few months ago I bought the compact version for the 3" fixed sight GP100 from Midway without panels and I made my own mesquite wood panels. You may just need to be patient. Watch Brownell's too, they may have them back in stock sooner. You may want to try the compact grip. Many GP100 shooters like it even better than the full size version, me included. For me these grips are much better than the Hogue Monogrip that came on my gun.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The compact grip is very hard to find. I got 2 new old stock ones on Ebay recently. They take the SP101 inserts, but the standard GP100 locator pin and screw. They are sized in between the full size grip, and the SP101 grip. I really like the Compact Grip on my GP100, but currently have the full size grip installed. The compact grip was factory issue on the 3" GP100, and the 4" fixed sight models. That was years ago. Ruger has long since gone to the Hogue Monogrip on all GP100s.

There are currently 2 Compact Grips running on Ebay and several sets of the original LETT style grips also. If you get the compact grip and buy your inserts from Chigs Grips, let him know they are for the Compact Grip. It needs an extra relief hole drilled into each insert on the back side for the locator pin. He will gladly drill the relief for you.

If you look at Ebay and see the Buy it Now offer for $49, I bought a grip from him in that auction. It comes with the locator pin and screw. Here it is installed on my 4" GP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's for the suggestions. I'll check out the compact option. I do have small hands. If I really squeeze I can almost get my pinky (the "third" finger mentioned previously), entirely above the ridge... three fingers in two grooves!

Also, thanks for the kind welcoming. Very enjoyable and helpful forum. You guys do well. (Nice job on your self-made panel!)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Always good to include a link to or a pic about what you're talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a picture of three fingers fitting into two grooves. Obviously I can't use it that way, I have to spread my fingers out into the grooves.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
^That would be a fundamental problem with finger grooves. There is no way to make them to fit all hands. I'd much prefer a flat surface where I can decide where to put my fingers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It would seem that having the default configuration fit all hands would be the way to go. Then people can customize as they see fit.

In my case, I wanted the GP100, but while at the store I held the SP101 and it felt SO much better. So, I knew I'd have to go find the grips, and I got it despite the grip discomfort. If I had been undecided and picked up the GP100, I would have put it down and moved on. After all, a fundamental purpose of going to a shop to buy guns is so that you can hold each one and find out how it fits you.

Ruger is giving a (significant?) percentage of these new users a "wow, this doesn't fit me at all" experience.

Having the SP101 there gave me the confidence that changing the grip would work just fine for the GP. The next person may not be as committed to thinking this through, and they could lose the sale.

Mark

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The in-stock status varies wildly on these grips............they were listed as "in stock" for several months, and then they are out. I also waited nearly 7 months for the Compact grip bodies from Midway, I sucked up about 10 sets of those, just the stripped bodies, so I can use aftermarket inserts in them.

It would be wise to just stock up on large and compact grip bodies, and locator pins and just hold on to them for future purchases. There is no shortage of good aftermarket insert makers like 41Magnum here on the forum, a fellow Pennsylvanian who makes great inserts that are far superior to the factory ones for durability.

2 years ago I just went ahead and bought 5 pairs of the complete large Lett grips from Midway, and I already used one on my Alaskan and have one set back for a new GP100 I have on layaway.

I strongly suspect that Altamont makes these "new" versions of the Lett grip..........the pressed laminate rosewood looks a lot like the panels they sell, except they use different escutcheons in them. And also, Altamont just happens to make the rubber grip bodies:cool:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you needed SP101 grips, I could hook you up. Just got a new gun and those grips were the first things to come off in favor of a smaller set of finger grooved all nylon Hogue's. (doesn't catch on jacket or shirt when carrying). As far as panels are concerned, take a look on Ebay. For my laser gripped Ruger (CT uses the old style grip for their laser grips), I replaced their plastic ones with a pair of ivory ones off of ebay. I've seen just about every material available for sale on ebay and pretty inexpensive at that. Smithy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts