Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Security Six since 1984, with the oversize factory grips. I used to shoot well with it until I got used to my SR9c this past year. Now the revolver feels unfamiliar in my hand and I have to really concentrate on my grip technique to shoot it well. I've looked at pictures of the Hogue rubber grip available for the Security Six and it appears the grip angle would be more favorable for me. Today I was able to hold a GP100 with the factory Hogue grip and really liked it. The grip angle felt much more natural and quite similar to the SR9c. So, would installing the Hogue grip on my Security Six make it feel more like the GP100? I'm hoping someone here has had the opportunity to make this comparison.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Depending on your hand size, one may fit your hand better than the other. The Hogue rubber grip for the Security-Six is slightly smaller than the one for the GP100/SRH (they have the same grip peg and fit the same grips!) Personally...I prefer the GP100 with the smaller, older, Lett Factory grips with the wood panels (see avatar) over the Hogue rubber grips as they fit my hand size better! However, I do like the Hogue's for the Security-Six revolver!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I tried the Hogues and they did not line up on the backstrap, off by about an 1/8 of an inch in some parts. Mine could have been defective though.

Another thing I like about the Sile grips is the covered backstrap. More padding for the hotter loads.

·
Registered
541 Posts
On my 1978-vintage Security Six, I've had the Ruger wood target grips, the Ruger wood "splinter" grips, the Hogue rubber grips, and the Trausch TJ84R rubber grips (made for the round-butt Service- and Speed-Six frames, but modified for the square-but Security Six by Jacques Trausch for me at no additional cost; he later also modified a left grip for me to better accomodate speed-loaders, also at no additional cost). The Trausch grips are by far the most comfortable and effective grips for me on my Security Six; I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
JonRuger-- I like those grips!
Do you think they would modify a pair for my Security Six?
I checked their website and they still only offer the Speed Six.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info on different grips. I ended up getting the rubber Hogue mono grip on sale for $14 at Midway. Today I went to the range and started out by shooting 30 rounds through the SR9c before switching to the Security Six. I shot good groups with both and, for the first time, the revolver didn't feel so different than the pistol. The Hogue grip feels more natural in my hand than the original grip, and I already feel more confident that I could grab the revolver any time needed and hit the intended target. Looking forward to spending more time with it before the snow gets too deep to get to the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts