Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No, but either of the "Lett style" grips don't have finger grooves and I like them both better than the stockers.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting off the finger grooves on their Hogue grips?
I wouldn't be too hasty to do this. My understanding is that the Hogue grips have a layer of gel just under the rubber to attenuate recoil. This layer may only be under the backstrap, but I wouldn't want to find out I was wrong. :eek:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm with Sailmotion on this. I don't think trying to alter or remove the finger grooves on the Hogue grips is going to turn out well. I think Hogue makes some great grips, but I have settled to using the Lett's style rubber and wood panel grips on my two GP100 revolvers. They are just a great combination feel of rubber and wood, the most comfortable stock grips I have ever found on a revolver. I had seriously considered buying a set of Hogue exotic wood monogrips for one of my GP100's, but just decided that they were too pricey, and I've learned over the years that it is hard to recover money spent on grips that don't work out.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm with Sailmotion on this. I don't think trying to alter or remove the finger grooves on the Hogue grips is going to turn out well. I think Hogue makes some great grips, but I have settled to using the Lett's style rubber and wood panel grips on my two GP100 revolvers. They are just a great combination feel of rubber and wood, the most comfortable stock grips I have ever found on a revolver. I had seriously considered buying a set of Hogue exotic wood monogrips for one of my GP100's, but just decided that they were too pricey, and I've learned over the years that it is hard to recover money spent on grips that don't work out.
I'm not sure he is still making grips, but there was a guy on E-bay from Taiwan [who's name I keep forgetting - "jarwansomething"] who made outstanding grips for a very reasonable price. Love my GP100 wood grips (see below); however, I'd be lying if I told you that these wood grips provided as good a grip retention and recoil attenuation as the stock Hogue's my GP came with.

Attachments

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I would strongly suggest just getting a Lett style grip. Ruger seems to be selling them again. Another source is Altamont. In my opinion, they are vastly superior to the Hogue grip.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not sure he is still making grips, but there was a guy on E-bay from Taiwan [who's name I keep forgetting - "jarwansomething"] who made outstanding grips for a very reasonable price. Love my GP100 wood grips (see below); however, I'd be lying if I told you that these wood grips provided as good a grip retention and recoil attenuation as the stock Hogue's my GP came with.
Yes, I purchased a set of his wood grips for my gp100. Very well made. Was about $55 shipped .

image hosting sites

image sharing sites

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yes, I own a pair of the Jaruwan P combat grips that I ordered on Ebay from Thailand for my GP100 also. They looked good and fit the revolver great. However, they were too thick and the finger grooves did not fit my hand well, so, I tried to sand them down and reshape them, and they just never fit me right. So, at least I didn't have a large amount of money invested in them, but they are just lying in my gun parts drawer. Wish someone had them that liked them, but they just weren't for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
Has anyone tried cutting off the finger grooves on their Hogue grips?
I got the compact wood insert grips (referred to as the Lett style) and like them better than the larger insert grips. I wouldn't bother to try and grind off finger grooves as the best you could do is have some butt ugly grips on your GP.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would strongly suggest just getting a Lett style grip. Ruger seems to be selling them again. Another source is Altamont.
Also Chigs has the larger size rubber for cheap - kind of a no brainer if you also want his grip panels - and you do. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
wood as well as any solid material will not absorb any kick, but there are some beautiful ones out there. many switch grips depending what your gun is doing at the time!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks fellows. I hadn't been on Hogue's web lately and didn't realize they had a NO FG version. I wasn't looking forward to trimming down the grips!!!

I changed out my hammer spring to a 10# and shot it yesterday. Smooth and NO FTF or hang fires.....I'm going to try the 9# as it dry fires very smooth, also now need some shims to tighten up the hammer!!!
Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts