Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when I double action my GP100, the cylinder begins to move, stops, I have to exert a lot of force, and then the cylinder spins suddenly and the gun fires. This really screws up my accuracy. Can anybody recommend a good gunsmith for Rugers in Southern California, specifically the Inland Empire or Palm Springs area? Thanks for any help, rideanddive

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I recommend you call Ruger and possibly ship it back to them to repair. They may know what's up and give you a simple fix, too.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
His forte is in the area of Colts and S&W's but there is Alan Tanaka in Gardena who is a member of the APG if interested. Perhaps you could talk him into looking at the gun. Gunsmithing in that area seems to be a dying art, especially revolvers. IF Ruger will pay for shipping the recommendation above probably is the way to go. If this only happens after shooting a bit might look for powder under the extractor and brush it out if there is any.

·
Registered
730 Posts
New, used ??? Early or late Revolver??? sounds as if the hand needs polishin or the hand catchin in the window.

Could be a ruff DA sear also .

GPs are`nt hard to work on , just take ya time .

If ya remove the hammer spring & strut, hammer & pull the trigger & it goes away it`s probably the DA sear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input

Thanks for all the suggestions. Last night I stripped it down, (I still have Iowegan's printed manual) I cleaned out the hole in the trigger guard where the trigger/latch sring goes. It's a 3/16" drill bit size. It was pretty rough in there. When I got done, there was a huge improvement, but it's still not where I want it to be. I'll take it back down, use a fresh drill bit turned by hand, and see if it gets any better. rideanddive

·
Registered
87 Posts
In the I.E. I can recommend Danforth Gunsmithing, John Danforth is a busy gunsmith but very good. 7101 Jurupa ave. #34 Riverside,ca 951-343-7765 That area code may have been changed. I gave up keeping up with area code changes.
Good luck with your GP Eric

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shipped it to Ruger

I sent it back to Ruger 2 days ago, today they called. Their tech agreed that it's not up to their standards, he's going to fix it. Thanks for all the feedback, am now waiting anxiously to see how it works when I get it back

·
Registered
224 Posts
I sent it back to Ruger 2 days ago, today they called. Their tech agreed that it's not up to their standards, he's going to fix it. Thanks for all the feedback, am now waiting anxiously to see how it works when I get it back[/QUOTE

Thats a wise decision. Ruger will fix your revolver. If you ever do need a gunsmith, The Shootist in Murrieta CA have two fine gunsmiths. They did a action trigger job on my GP100 and the trigger is butter smooth. They have a web site. Guns, Ammo, Full Line Firearms Dealer ~ The Shootist - Purveyors of Guns, Ammo, Cowboy Necessaries & AR Style Weaponry | TheShootistGuns.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts