Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm. I love the gun, and I love the look and feel of the hardwood grips, but I find them to be too small for my hands (which are about an XL glove size I believe). The reach to the trigger is a bit short, but the bigger issue is that my weak hand basically makes no contact whatsoever with the grip due to the fact that my strong hand is wrapped fully around it. I’ll probably try a couple more range trips with these grips to see if I can get used to it, but it feels like the small grip size is causing me to over-grip with my strong hand due to the fact that my weak hand can’t help out.
Any suggestions for a one piece wood grip that is similar to the factory grip, but more suitable for large hands? I would definitely like to spend under $100, and preferably under $80. I’m looking for both a longer reach to the trigger (so the grips should extend further rearwards), as well as a beefier grip overall (wider from back to front).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hogue's "Big Butt" grips should help but they aren't cheap.
I’ve looked at these a couple times...they definitely look amazing, but man that price tag is steep!
But it looks to me like the “big butt” versions have the same trigger reach and front to back thickness as the non-big butt versions, which makes me think that the “butt” part of the grip doesn’t change the actual gripping characteristics. Are these grips actually larger than the grips that come with the match champion in terms of trigger reach and front-to-back width?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like those!
Any idea what type of wood that is? Can you speak to whether or not they would be suitable for large hands?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have read a number of posts on the smith forums about a company in Thailand that makes a lot of exotic wood grips that seem to be fairly high quality. Most reviews say they fit quite well usually and are very good looking grips. You might be able to find something from them. As to the grips on my GP posted earlier - I don't have particularly large hands, but do wear a size XL glove. I bought a set of the hogue rubber grips, but found I like the wood grips so much I can't bring myself to switch them out.

Edit: Forgot you asked about the wood. According to the TALO website, they are walnut finger-groove grips from Hogue.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is a guy in Thailand that makes some nice wood grips. He sells on ebay. I think he goes by jaruwan p. I haven’t personally bought from him, but have seen many examples of his work. He has good prices and his work looks good.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
I have big mitts, and grips with finger grooves cause issues. I can shoot a snub with boot grips, but I struggle with anything grooved.

My 1996 GP came with the rubber Lett-style grip with wooden insets. They work great. Have you tried them?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have big mitts, and grips with finger grooves cause issues. I can shoot a snub with boot grips, but I struggle with anything grooved.

My 1996 GP came with the rubber Lett-style grip with wooden insets. They work great. Have you tried them?
That’s funny, I actually love the hogue rubber grips with finger grooves (the ones that come stock on gp100’s). If I could find a wood grip with exactly that profile, but maybe just slightly larger, that would be perfect.

I have tried the lett style ones, and I like them quite a bit. But I honestly prefer finger groves over flat generally (I know I’m probably in the minority there).

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I recently purchased a Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm. I love the gun, and I love the look and feel of the hardwood grips, but I find them to be too small for my hands (which are about an XL glove size I believe). The reach to the trigger is a bit short, but the bigger issue is that my weak hand basically makes no contact whatsoever with the grip due to the fact that my strong hand is wrapped fully around it. I’ll probably try a couple more range trips with these grips to see if I can get used to it, but it feels like the small grip size is causing me to over-grip with my strong hand due to the fact that my weak hand can’t help out.
Any suggestions for a one piece wood grip that is similar to the factory grip, but more suitable for large hands? I would definitely like to spend under $100, and preferably under $80. I’m looking for both a longer reach to the trigger (so the grips should extend further rearwards), as well as a beefier grip overall (wider from back to front).
Hogue's "Big Butt" grips should help but they aren't cheap.
Buddy of mine from college is 6' 6" and 300# and he recently picked up a 6" Ruger GP100 and went with the Hogue grip...and he likes it.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
There is a guy in Thailand that makes some nice wood grips. He sells on ebay. I think he goes by jaruwan p. I haven’t personally bought from him, but have seen many examples of his work. He has good prices and his work looks good.
I've used JaruwanP's grips on an SP101...they fit in my hand better than Eagle or Badger Customs' do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a pair of grips for my colt 3-5-7 from “worldwide grips”. I’ll post a review once I get them, and if they work out, I’ll probably buy a gp100 pair from them as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
taters, I'm in the same boat, for all handguns, as well. I found the stock hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves the best fit for my GP100s. I can't stand a slick wood grip so I haven't tried any of those. I have tried the grips with the wood inlay and the hogue rubber grip with no finger grooves. I always go back to the finger grooves. Without having a custom set of grips handmade to my specific hand size I have had zero luck finding grips that I think are large enough for my hands.

As far as no room for weak hand contact, I roll my strong hand thumb up out of the way to make room for weak hand support, then wrap strong hand thumb over....if that makes sense. Works for me anyway.

Pls post if/when you find grips you think are large enough to fit your needs.....so I can buy them as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
taters, I'm in the same boat, for all handguns, as well. I found the stock hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves the best fit for my GP100s. I can't stand a slick wood grip so I haven't tried any of those. I have tried the grips with the wood inlay and the hogue rubber grip with no finger grooves. I always go back to the finger grooves. Without having a custom set of grips handmade to my specific hand size I have had zero luck finding grips that I think are large enough for my hands.

As far as no room for weak hand contact, I roll my strong hand thumb up out of the way to make room for weak hand support, then wrap strong hand thumb over....if that makes sense. Works for me anyway.

Pls post if/when you find grips you think are large enough to fit your needs.....so I can buy them as well.
Will do BigG. Sounds like we’re looking for the same thing in a pair of grips. I’m optimistic about these WorldWide Grips for my Colt, and the Gp100 grips they make look even beefier. It might take another two weeks before you hear back though, since apparently shipping wood products from Thailand can be tricky as far as customs go.
I think I understand what you’re saying about your grip technique and I’ll try that out. I think some part of my struggle is simply adjusting to gripping a revolver, since I’ve been shooting basically only semi-autos for the last few years and have only recently gotten back into wheel guns.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got my rosewood grips installed on my Colt 3-5-7 (from Worldwide Grips) and I absolutely love them! Check out my other thread for pics and details: https://rugerforum.net/#/topics/381425?page=1.
They really seem to be and awesome value and extremely high quality, plus they’re nice and meaty which I love, I’m gonna go ahead and order a pair for my gp100 immediately 😄.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Glad you found something for your Colt. Hopefully it works out for the GP100...post pics once you get them, please.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys! Just FYI: The owner of WorldWide Grips just emailed me to let me know he put a new batch of GP100/SR grips on his site (he was out of GP100/SR grips for a while). I jumped on there and bought my favorite pair right away. If you’re interested in getting a pair of these grips, I’d suggest you do the same. They seem to sell very quickly!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts