Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a tough decision to make. I've got an opportunity to trade into a match champion with adjustable sights. But I am really wanting to snag a 1708 since Ruger ran a production of them recently. I do like the extra features on the MC. But I love the 3" barrel length on a GP. And with adjustable sights it'd be just about perfect. Help!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My opinion is grab a 1708 while you can. The MC will be around for a good while it seems and the 1708 may vanish for another 20 years.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'm with that Waveform guy...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure the 4.2" barrel is somewhat more accurate. But my 1752 Wiley clapp had been more than accurate enough for my needs. Plus I could always have a gunsmith work over the 1708 at some point down the road.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Wave has the right idea. The 1708 might be tougher to come by later on. Get that while you can. It sounds like that's what you really want.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
If I didn't already have a Wiley Clapp, I'd be chasing down a 1708. Something about that 3" barreled GP that gives it a feel all its own.

Don't be quick to assume that it's an either or situation, though. Most of us don't stop at one GP.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I only have 100 rounds through my 1708 but I can tell it is a keeper. I've already replaced the sights and grips. It will need springs and probably some light action work at some point. By that point I'll probably have about as much (or more) in it as an MC - but it will have been made my own. :cool: Why did you get rid of the Wiley?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may sound odd, but if I do get the 1708 it certainly won't be for collecting. I can't stand any safe queens. GPs are made to shoot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why did you get rid of the Wiley?
I haven't yet. I suppose that would be the only reason I would lean towards the match champion. Since the 1708 would be almost a duplicate of my Wiley clapp. Call me crazy, but I like the lines on the plane Jane adjustable sight 3" model best.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm, I do see your dilemma. You have fixed sight 3" with the WC but would like an adjustable. You really like 3" but the adjustable MC is the "bird in the hand". Yup, rock and a hard place. :p But read your own posts - really sounds like you're trying to convince yourself to get the 1708.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SlimJim,
I do agree with you on that. I suppose if i do end up with the 1708 and my Wiley clapp never gets out do the safe I could always part ways with it. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
1708.....Just for availability reasons. You can always go TO the mc if you want, if you decide later on you want a 1708, then you might not be able to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts