Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a SP101 and a LCR357 daily for the last couple of years. Lately I have had the bug for a GP100 3". Anybody carry one? Are they fun too shoot? Show me some picturs and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry I can't do pictures, but I do have one of the GP-100's in 357 mag. And mine has the 3 inch barrel with fixed sights, and it is stainless. I have owned this one for a few years and I love it. And I like the fixed sights, but on mine I am going to change my front sight to a fiber optic one. The black front sight makes it hard for me to pick up the front sight since it is black, and my eyes are not what they used to be. Now compared to the LCR, the GP is a heavier gun, but I beleive it helps with the felt recoil when you shoot magnum loads. Anyway I realy like mine....Ray

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray, I put the XS Standard Dot Night Sight on both my Rugers. It made my old eyes able to find the front sights much easier. (I can't do pictures either)

·
Registered
303 Posts

Don't know about 3" but I love my 4.2" GP-141. It is like a siren...... .357 Magnum.... .357 Magnum....

·
Administrator
23,035 Posts
My GP is a stainless 4" and I see the GP as the perfect nightstand gun just as the SP is a great carry piece. Can't help you with the 3" but I do share your desire to own one.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I already had a Davidson GP100 in 5" but when I saw this Wiley Clapp Talo version sitting in a LGS case, it just called me to come back and buy it. The matte SS finish does tend to show marks more easily, but it does clean up without a problem. A very nice shooter as well.

My old eyes need the FO front sight.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts

Don't know about 3" but I love my 4.2" GP-141. It is like a siren...... .357 Magnum.... .357 Magnum....
+1 except mine has the factory front sights with a red insert in the blade. Due to the size and weight of the 4.2" I don't CCW mine but its always within reach in the truck, nightstand, in the house, garage, wherever I happen to be. I can't tell ya anything about carrying the 3". I've heard some folks say they do do with much success however.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I sometimes carry my 4" GP - in the winter months when I can cover it with a coat etc. Like the others, I don't have any experience with a 3" GP.
Seems like it'd be an excellent gun. Pic of my GP and LCR .38

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
When I purchased my GP100 last year the local dealer had all the various barrel sizes in stock ... now you can't find any in my neck of the woods.

I settled on the 4" model ... it felt just right in my hands ... nice balance. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the three and four inch GP100. I love them both. I carry the three inch daily. They both shoots well and its very accurate out the box. If I learn how to post pic, I will do so.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My avatar is my 4" fixed-sight GP100 in .357 Mag...and I love it!!! I've had 3 x 3" GP100's, a 4" and 6" adjustable-sight versions, and 1 x 2.75" Security-Six...and loved 'em all. But now that I have this 4" fixed-sight version...I probably won't got back to a 3" version...it's just so much more accurate out to 35' and beyond that it's not funny!

My first GP100 was a 4" adjustable-sight version and it was awesome...very accurate and had nice balance! In 2009, I lost both of my jobs within 5 days of each other and the GP100's were all sold to help pay bills (wife + 3 kiddos under 5 y/o). In 2010, I found the 4" fixed-sight in a pawn shop in MS...and I like it better than the other 6 GP100's I had previously!

Oh...and I have a 2.25" SP101 in .357 Mag as well! Love them both!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A few years ago, I had an opportunity to buy a 3" GPNY, but I passed because I wanted a .357 mag. Stupid, I know. Later, I ended up with a 3" S&W 65, and that's my normal carry gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great shooters.
Everyone needs at least one....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts