Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some half jacket 150gr and 146gr Hp's I'd like to use up. Any body got and data using Blue Dot?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Edster those look like some very nice bullets for working up a defensive load for .357 or .38 Special!!! My Speer Reloading manual 9 might have some data with Blue Dot Powder. I will look tomorrow to see if there is anything for the bullets you have. I will PM you if I can find the data you need. I would like to have some of those bullets to work up a load for my Ruger LCRX .38 Special +p!!! PM sent on the loading data you want, good luck!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Got some half jacket 150gr and 146gr Hp's I'd like to use up. Any body got and data using Blue Dot?
10gr-11gr is the range you need to fish in. The half jackets were problematic for leaving the jacket in the bore, the reason they were discontinued.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10gr-11gr is the range you need to fish in. The half jackets were problematic for leaving the jacket in the bore, the reason they were discontinued.
I actually found some data in Ken Waters/Pet Loads. The one I was looking at was 10.0-11.3 I think I might just start at 10 and work up from there

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went on Amazon and bought myself Speers Number 9 and 10 manuals. Can never have enough reference material as far as I am concerned. I decided on 10.5gr for the 357mag load. What a nice load. You can tell you are shooting a magnum load but it is not a snappy load. Able to keep the front sight on target, and managed to get all 6 shots within a decent grouping.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You can tell you are shooting a magnum load but it is not a snappy load.
It's interesting that a 5% reduction in charge, nets about 10% loss of velocity, and a 20% drop in chamber pressures. A rough guideline culled from decades of Handloader Magazine.

I am not a fan of the medium burn rate powders at max pressure levels. Unique, Herco, HS-6, etc. all excellent for mid range power, tend to be touchy at the top end. But for loads that hit 1000fps or so with medium heavy bullets, they are easy on the gun, brass, and shooters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts