Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So finally got to put some rounds down range yesterday.

Used Blazer steel case 38 special. Quick note on that ammo, not sure if it is normal or not but it seemed like the cases didn't extract as easily as they might have. Almost every time there were at least a couple of stickier ones that I has to pull out and didn't drop out easily. Other then that no failures to fire or anything like that and they seemed reasonably accurate at 4 and 7 yards.

On to the gun itself. It cycled flawlessly and everything worked as expected. Single action pull was very nice with just a very slight bit of creep. Double action for quick pulls was good but slow fire I noticed it has a little hitch at the end of the draw. Tough to explain, it's like it ramps up though the draw and then near the end it has a slightly tougher pull. It doesn't immediately fire after the peak of the draw but takes a hair longer. Sort of a plateau instead of a peak at the end of the trigger pull. I only noticed it doing slow fire, double action stuff though. Not really an issue, just something to get used to.

I am divided on the front sight. It is fast back on target and easy to see but it is big. I am used to Dawson Precision front fibers where you can get a pretty accurate point on target. The Ruger is at a 6 O'clock hold and was sighted pretty dead on from the factory but even at 7 yards it seems like the dot is bigger then the 10 ring on a 25 ft target even when used at 7 yards (21 ft). I was hitting around where I was aiming and grouping OK but just felt a little vaugue on where, exactly the group was going to be if that makes sense. 3 - 4" groups at 7 yards double action but I know a more experienced revolver guy could probably have gotten them much tighter. I need to practice more.

A big part is going to be me getting used to the trigger and the front sight I think. I need to practice with it more to get used to it. It's a longer, heavier trigger then I am used to but I will say it is very smooth. Just not linear with that hitch at the end of the pull. I did find myself screwing up the trigger pull at the end of the double action pull because of it several times.

Overall I really like the gun and 38 special recoil is not noticeable at all. I really love the grips on this revolver. They seem perfect to me. Just need to get more comfortable with the trigger and front sight. I think I made a good choice in a first revolver though. It's definitely a fun gun to shoot.

-Jim

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The GP is a good platform in all of its iterations. You're satisfied and that's a good thing! Keep on practicing and getting used to gun. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congratulations on your MC. I had never shot a revolver much before my GP 100. It takes a while to get used to any double action pull. The key is rounds down range. Try to find a gun club that has matches. Great way too practice, and remember you are competing against your self. Does not matter where you place, have fun and work on your technique.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Whether mentioned earlier or not, I've found over the years from the time the Blazer line ever went to market, that in a revolver they Stick, period. Sometimes and with the larger surface area of big cases like the 44 mag or 45 LC, they stick so bad that often the extractor star and your hand can't do the job. Individual cases then have to be poked out until the force needed to remove the balance of the cases is sufficient to do the job. I wrote the company and of course heard back "We're terribly sorry Mr. Williams that you have experienced any sort of extraction problems. Have you checked the chamber walls for debris, leading, or other fowling that may have caused the problem you note?" "To date, we have not heard of this problem and have to suspect it was the firearms in use since it has never occurred in our test weapons" Yada, Yada, Yada. I knew what happened to me and it happened in a Colt Python, Smith 686, Smith 60, Smith 67, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Security Six, and much later when I gave them yet another try, in a Ruger GP100 and SP101. So NO thank you. it is simply NOT the gun in use, but the aluminum case and the ammunition combination that is at fault.

I have however found that very same ammunition to work flawlessly in any semi-auto I've tried and have such success in that arena that I will go through quite a bit of that ammunition in my auto's. Even revolver cartridges that were the subject of my earlier problems seem to work just fine in an auto (example the Desert Eagle eating up every 44 Blazer round fed to it). The very same ammunition that previously would lock up my Redhawk. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Great you like the gun. My GP-100 trumps my 686 No Dash for competition. You will get used to the sight. Go with brass cased cartridges. Safe them and in time you might decide to reload. Ends the sticky problems and will contribute to your reloading in the future.

Take Care

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts