Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6" GP100 is my favorite hunting sidearm plus a lot of fun on the range. It was my "gateway Ruger" and has led me deeper and deeper into my Ruger addiction...

Pretty much stock except for the Hi-Viz front sight..and now the Hogue wood grip.

Wave

·
Banned
181 Posts
Nice!!

What wood is it? In the pics it appears to be rosewood laminate, but the grain is that of natural wood, so I'm assuming natural rosewood?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Beautiful piece ! Like your add-ons. Is the front sight from Ruger ?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!!

What wood is it? In the pics it appears to be rosewood laminate, but the grain is that of natural wood, so I'm assuming natural rosewood?
The wood is natural Coco Bolo. It looks like Hogue slices the wood down the middle and routes out the internal spaces then glues the two pieces back together. They use the familiar screw-in-the-bottom mechanism like the black rubber grip. You have to look closely to see the joint. They do a nice job and no visible hardware from the sides. This one has the checkered grip which I'm liking a lot.

Beautiful piece ! Like your add-ons. Is the front sight from Ruger ?
You can get the front sight from Ruger or you can also buy from Midway, Brownell's, etc. and even Amazon. It's made by Hi-Viz and fits the GP100 and Redhawk. Comes with an assortment of different color light pipes, a holder for the pipes and a little tool to help you change the pipes. Pretty slick.

Wave

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Awesome, very nice Wave' ;)

The color of the grips really compliment the GP!

How are you liking the Hi Viz front sight? I was thinking on trying one on my GP, (blued, 4")...

Again nice combination of grip & gun. Happy shootin'!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, very nice Wave' ;)

The color of the grips really compliment the GP!

How are you liking the Hi Viz front sight? I was thinking on trying one on my GP, (blued, 4")...

Again nice combination of grip & gun. Happy shootin'!
Thanks JK - I like the Hi-Viz and have a couple of them now. Now that I need reading glasses my eyes lose the standard black front sight, especially on black targets. So I pretty much have to change out the front sight to something else and I like the light pipe sight. Really is bright in good light. I know I could have just painted the front blade with nail polish but the GP is just too nice a revolver! The Hi-Viz is only $30 online so it's not very expensive.

Wave

Amazon.com: HiViz Ruger GP100 Handgun Sight: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
217 Posts
Beautiful!! Simply beautiful!

I did the HiViz front sight as well on my GP100 (same gun as yours, but I kept the original Hogues).

Just to let others know, swapping the original sight to the HiViz is a 30-second job on this gun. Just make sure the gun is unloaded (that's a no-brainer, but just sayin').

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think your set up looks great. I understand the need for the Hi-Viz front sight and wouldn't mind trying one myself. My only question is how much wear and tear it will take drawing and carrying it in a leather holster.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think your set up looks great. I understand the need for the Hi-Viz front sight and wouldn't mind trying one myself. My only question is how much wear and tear it will take drawing and carrying it in a leather holster.
41RED, That's a good question and I don't have the answer yet. So far so good on mine. I carry it in a Galco Phoenix when I'm hunting but that really isn't all that often, or at least not as often I would like. At the range I carry it in a rug and not a holster. It seems pretty sturdy but time will tell.

Wave

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice :D I think these guns look much better with a nice set of wood grips, rather than the rubber ones.

I've recently ordered a new 4" GP & I'll be changing out the grips for sure. Will also be putting a green fibre optic front sight on :cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Nice, love the checkered grip panels.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very nice gun, on my wish list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts