Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited about the GP100 and question how far does one need to strip and clean it before giving it some range time? It's a new 4.2 Match and still in the waiting period, but it will come home soon.

I have read different thoughts about cleaning it before shooting it. It is "necessary" to take it apart (trigger / hammer) or will a general cleaning be sufficient (I hope)?

Another question is how to clean (keep clean) the wood grips? Should I remove the grips with each cleaning? Is there anything I can put on the grips (i.e. ballistol) to preserve the wood?

I never owned a satin stainless and am being cautious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't have a definitive answer for you, just my experience. My match was pretty clean when I got it. I took the grip off, very easy one screw, and gave it a quick once over look. Just a fast wipedown and swab out with some clp and took it to the range. After a couple of great but short range sessions I gave it a normal cleaning with hoppes #9 and some breakfree clp. I broke it down a little further and didn't find anything but a clean gun. It has been an excellent gun and one I imagine keeping. I'm trying to keep the wood clean. The grips look nice.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I never had stainless or wood grips before and do not want to make any mistakes...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nothing wrong with being cautious, I'm the same. But your probably over thinking this.
All lot of revolver enthusiast on this forum apparently ( from read posts ) totally strip down, clean and polish internal trigger and hammer components on their new rugers. That's fine, each to their own.
The factory trigger setup on gp's are good but can be made better.
And is is it necessary to strip a new revolver before first time shooting you ask? In my opinion , no.
I would just do an overall operational check, clean the bore and cylinder and keep up regular cleaning and maintainance and you will be good to go.
The gp100 is a great built like a tank revolver so you've made a great choice too.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure there is no gunk in the barrel or cylinder, shoot, report back! Congrats on the new GP!
Thanks...just picked it up and won't be able to go till Friday to try it out.

I just got done cleaning it up, just removed the wood grip during the cleaning and it was far enough for me. I used a silicon rag on it after and am hoping I find something that will protect the wood grips. ( I am OC about that, at least for now.)

Anyone use Ballistol on their wood grips? (on the whole gun?)

·
Super Moderator
22,131 Posts
I use Ballistol on my firearms and on the wood I use a rag with a small amount of boiled linseed oil.

·
Registered
286 Posts
with any new, or new to me ruger, my practice has been to do a complete strip- particularly with a new gun- to get any errant machine scraps, burrs, ect out of the action. Since I have only had 1 new ruger, it was only really nesesary once, but I do it anyway to get a feel for the new gun. Found some pretty big shavings in the action, by the trigger, ect.

If you want to get right out to the range, punch the bore and chambers, give it a once over with an M-16 toothbrush and go for it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have read posts here about doing a complete stripping of the gun and cleaning. I am glad I read and did this as three of my five GP 100s had metal shavings or filings in the trigger group.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
A quick inspection is probably all that is needed.

If you are compelled, it's not hard to disassemble down to the assemblies for a bit closer inspection.

A word of caution. Be careful not to pull the trigger while the trigger assembly is out as it might allow pieces to fall out and get lost.

I don't do much for the grips other than maybe a few drops of furniture oil on a rag to gussy it up every now and then.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, after doing a basic cleaning I watched a few videos on disassembly and decided to take the plunge. Everything was very easy but I when I removed the hammer, 2 shims fell out!
I became very concerned but luckily it was not a problem in the end.

Everything is clean and is ready to go.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
And is is it necessary to strip a new revolver before first time shooting you ask? In my opinion , no.
If you cycle the gun in SA/DA mode, and it sounds gritty, pull the grip panels, and give it a good flush with something like WD-40, followed by a rinse with Gun Scrubber. I don't think chips and grinding dust do anything for the internals.

My GP came home a tad gritty, and so did my SP101, a flush and rinse helped.

Then put a couple hundred rounds through, or even a few more, then take it apart. Check for uneven wear, and polish any burrs or contact surfaces. If the trigger needs some work, or lighter springs, replace those. Lots of threads on that here and on other forums.

Then put it back together and leave it alone.

It's engineered to allow disasssembly, but not after every trip to the range. I pull my handguns apart every 3-5 years, a couple less than that. The flush and rinse is adequate even with a steady diet of lead bullets.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
All my Ruger's just checked them for fit and finish. Ran a Patch with clp down the barrel took them shot them and repeated.
Revolver, pretty Simple. Congratulations on the MC

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks...just picked it up and won't be able to go till Friday to try it out.

Anyone use Ballistol on their wood grips? (on the whole gun?)
Yes - Ballistol is my primary CLP. So I use it on the entire gun and invariably get a little on the edges of the wood grips, whereupon I use a clean rag to feather the Ballistol into the rest of the wood grips.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
I ran about 1000 rounds through my SP101 before ever taking it more apart than just removing the grips. By the time I finally did, the factory grease and minute metal shavings had congealed inside. Cleaning it out made more of a difference than installing Wolff springs.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'd go with a complete cleaning, including trigger group. I don't understand the mentality that says to take a chance. If ever there was a chance to find evil things in there THIS is it. Why all this discussion over something that takes 10minutes tops?

It's a simple thing to do, pop it out, hose it down with a spray cleaner/lube, blow it out with compressed air if you got it and re-install. Done. No more worries.

The only NEW gun I've ever found to be clean of gunk and metal was my P345. All the others REALLY needed it, regardless of brand. My Ruger American .22MAG was the worst.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You may have already figured it out that the two shims that dropped out are hammer shims, one going on each side of the hammer. The easiest way to get them positioned is to use a dap of grease on each one to make them stick to the hammer while you get the hammer slid back in to the frame til you can get the hammer pin in place. It's a little frustrating at first, but with patience and practice you can get them back in place. They actually aren't necessary other than to keep the hammer from rubbing against the interior of the frame causing scuff marks on the hammer. Stock GP100 revolvers don't even have the bushings. I would say that in most cases removing the trigger assembly for cleaning on a new revolver isn't really necessary unless the action is really rough and sticking. I had one new GP100 that had significant shavings in the assembly that was really causing a problem, but the other 3 new ones that I have owned didn't.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I always strip a new gun down, clean everything, apply a light coat of breakfree and reassemble. One of the gp100s I bought this last year had mill shavings in it with a shaving still attached to the outer edge of the hole inside the gun where the cylinder crane fits into the frame. All is well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nothing wrong with being cautious, I'm the same. But your probably over thinking this.
All lot of revolver enthusiast on this forum apparently ( from read posts ) totally strip down, clean and polish internal trigger and hammer components on their new rugers. That's fine, each to their own.
The factory trigger setup on gp's are good but can be made better.
I would just do an overall operational check, clean the bore and cylinder and keep up regular cleaning and maintainance and you will be good to go.
The gp100 is a great built like a tank revolver so you've made a great choice too.
+1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts