Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - While cleaning my 6" 7 Shot GP100, I noticed some missing material on the crane right in front of the cylinder. It seems to be right where it comes into contact with the frame - right under the barrel. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this notch intentional? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same flat mark on my 7-shot, but it seems like yours has an extra tiny chunk worn off, unless it's an optical illusion. I have no wear mark on the frame itself. It looks like you may have a little wear on the frame. To be fair, I probably only have maybe 100 .327s run through mine, and maybe 50 S&W longs. I bought it new about 20 months ago, and the "Great Bullet Crisis of 2020" hit shortly after.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My six-shot also doesn't look that way, but to be quite frank, what's in your photo of the frame looks to have been machined. If I am not looking at it the wrong way, the tools marks match the rest of the tool marks outside of the area you note with the arrow. Zooming in on the area forward of your cylinder, that also looks to have been machined that way. The resolution of the cylinder image isn't as nice as that for the frame, though, so it is harder to try matching the surface texture with surrounding material to tell for sure if it's wear or if it was machined like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. Here is a much better image. I think I will reach out to Ruger just to verify. Thanks again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looking at the missing material you've identified forward of the cylinder, that area sits at about the 1-2o'clock position when the crane is closed. Looking at that same position on the frame, above the cut-out for the crane, I can't see corresponding wear to indicate that your missing material is wearing against something else on the frame. That indicates to me that it was removed during the machining process. Ruger may have done that to facilitate easier closing when the revolver gets hot and parts expand. My Redhawk does refuse to close when it gets hot for that very reason. Maybe Ruger has addressed such an issue with the 7-round model.

@Iowegan is our resident gunsmithing expert, and I'm sure he'll be able to give a more definitive answer. I've tagged his username to get his attention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It very well could have been machined to aid in the closing of the cylinder. However, it does rotate and contact the frame below and to the left of the barrel opening. Then by the time the cylinder is closed, it sits below and and maybe slightly right of the barrel opening.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just eyeballing the elevation difference between the highest area bordering the cut-away material and the highest area of the rest of the material surrounding that axis (for lack of a better term), it appears that the rest of that circular axis is already set back far enough to clear the frame, even when parts expand under heat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is the best pic I can get of that machined flat mark. I couldn't get a clean enough pic on the frame but it has no wear marks. (I just had left shoulder surgery and have trouble holding the gun for the picture. When I close the cylinder that flat disappears but from watching it, it looks like it ends up past 12:00. tempImageVlBTP9.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the best pic I can get of that machined flat mark. I couldn't get a clean enough pic on the frame but it has no wear marks. (I just had left shoulder surgery and have trouble holding the gun for the picture. When I close the cylinder that flat disappears but from watching it, it looks like it ends up past 12:00. View attachment 157087
Thanks! This is pretty darn close and at least leads me to believe it is intentional. Also, hopefully a quick recovery with the shoulder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just eyeballing the elevation difference between the highest area bordering the cut-away material and the highest area of the rest of the material surrounding that axis (for lack of a better term), it appears that the rest of that circular axis is already set back far enough to clear the frame, even when parts expand under heat.
Yeah, the cylinder pushed forward and is just about flush with the flat piece from the crane.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My GP100 is approximately 12 years old, is a six-shot revolver, and it does not have similar marks on either the crane or the frame. However, in my opinion this was purposely done during the assembly and fitting of your revolver, and as long as the cylinder opens and closes smoothly and locks up snugly when closed, I wouldn't worry about it. One of my most frequently used comments is that "Ruger revolvers in general do not fare well under a close up lens, but they are still good rock-solid firearms".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input! It was especially helpful given I don't have (or have access to) another one to compare. So, after sending Ruger the pics, they wanted to take a look so I sent it out today. If they say there's no issue...at least I know. Also, they picked up the shipping so I won't really be out anything. I will update the thread when I get it back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think you did the right thing shipping it to Ruger, especially at no expense, if you were concerned. Ruger's CS will likely satisfy. Good Luck tmparks01 and post your results when it's returned.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hello All - While cleaning my 6" 7 Shot GP100, I noticed some missing material on the crane right in front of the cylinder. It seems to be right where it comes into contact with the frame - right under the barrel. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is this notch intentional? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View attachment 157054

View attachment 157056
OP it looks like the flutes on your cylinder are not cut centered. From your image they appear to be cut slightly counter clockwise of the chambers, making your cylinder wall thickness thinner on one side of the flute.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OP it looks like the flutes on your cylinder are not cut centered. From your image they appear to be cut slightly counter clockwise of the chambers, making your cylinder wall thickness thinner on one side of the flute.
Holy cow, I can't believe I didn't notice that before. Could have been something they saw which prompted them to have me send it in. Either way, I will def. make sure they are aware. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Their CS Dept. is by far one of the best in the U.S. market, IMO. From personal experience and from literally scores of other people's experiences I've read about on gun forums. Don't be surprised if you have your repaired, if needed, revolver back in your hands inside of two weeks from now. Get your range bag ready now! And yes, please let us know what's up. I may have missed it, but what caliber is your gun? And how long have you had it? I only ask because I have the 7-shot also. I may want to pay attention to mine in that area for any changes in wear, etc.
Thanks! Jeff T., PGH PA

1 - 20 of 24 Posts