Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a set of Ruger compact grips for a GP-100 on Ebay, or at least the seller thinks they are compact. Does anyone have some measurements right off hand that I could transmit to him to make sure they are compact and not the full size?

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
The older OEM rubber Lett Grips for the GP100, the one's with the wood panels...the easiest way to understand their size difference is that the smaller Lett Rubber Grip accepts the SP101-sized wood/grip panels.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I passed on it. I never could get a good description from the seller.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I need some education on GP-100 compact grips. I bought my 3-inch GP-100 in early 2005, and it had compact grips on it...I put a Hogue grip on it, for some stupid reason, and over the years I have lost or misplaced the original compact grips. The Hogue grip is huge and although very functional it's a pain in the a$$ when riding in a car.

Are the current Altamont compact grips the same as the ones I originally had or are there differences? They look slightly different from pictures that I think are original equipment compact grips.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, so I need some education on GP-100 compact grips. I bought my 3-inch GP-100 in early 2005, and it had compact grips on it...I put a Hogue grip on it, for some stupid reason, and over the years I have lost or misplaced the original compact grips. The Hogue grip is huge and although very functional it's a pain in the a$$ when riding in a car.

Are the current Altamont compact grips the same as the ones I originally had or are there differences? They look slightly different from pictures that I think are original equipment compact grips.

I bought the compact Altamonts and they are great. Like the OEM compacts but with some texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, guy. I'm new here. Just picked up my first revolver, used GP-100 MC, Friday. My GP-1oo has the wooden grip. I bought it knowing that I was going to change grips, but I'm not quite sure I understand the grip 'size'. At the store, the only thing available for me to hold with a rubber grip was a GP-100 .327, and I honestly didn't pay attention to the insert size. They grip felt perfect though. Before I order mine I'd like to know if the 'size' is referring to only the wood insert, with the grips being the same size and shape, or a difference in the size/shape of the grip itself? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Guns90, welcome to the forum. The answer is the whole grip is different in size. The compact grips are very popular but I have fairly large hands and shoot mostly at the range so I prefer the larger size.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,002 Posts
Critch, Lett made wood grip inserts for GP100s but they did not make the rubber. Likewise with Altamont …. they started making grips and panels for Ruger after Mr Lett passed away and have become the exclusive wood grip supplier for Ruger. The same rubber products company still makes the grip bodies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that clarifies everything for me guys. Thanks. I was also not understanding the Lett references. I'm thinking now that I'm going to order both, the new Hogue rubber dot grip and the compact Ruger with Altamont super rosewood standard checkering. My wife saw me looking at them online and told me to get the pearl handled one. I told her that only a pimp from a New Orleans whorehouse carries a pearl handled pistol. She didn't get it, gave me a sour look, and walked out of the room. Any way, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2 years ago I purchased the rubber and grip panels that Altamont was selling for the GP/SRH series of revolvers as I have a GP/MC and I didn't like the skinny wood grip from the factory.

The grip screw on the Altamonts rubbed on the mainspring strut, enough to double pull weight on trigger. I ground down the offending portion of the strut. It helped but didn't solve the problem.

This summer I purchased the Hogue grip made for the GP/44 Spl and revolver nirvana.

Smoothest pull on any DA revolver I own. And I've owned a bunch of S&Ws in the last 55 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's exactly what I'm thinking mine will be, Scout357. Hopefully, those will work for me too.

The first handgun I ever fired was an M1911A1. Every gun I've ever owned since has been a 1911 .45 till this summer when I decided to buy Sig P938 Legion for summer carry (easier concealment). I'm telling you this to let you know just how little I know about revolvers.

I bought this gun because I really wanted to experience the revolver, and everything that I read had placed the GP-100 in their top group. It showed up a lot in those 'What if you could have only one..' queries, so I think that I made a good choice. If I decide this is my keeper for home defense, I might next consider tritium adjustable sights.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well that clarifies everything for me guys. Thanks. I was also not understanding the Lett references. I'm thinking now that I'm going to order both, the new Hogue rubber dot grip and the compact Ruger with Altamont super rosewood standard checkering. My wife saw me looking at them online and told me to get the pearl handled one. I told her that only a pimp from a New Orleans whorehouse carries a pearl handled pistol. She didn't get it, gave me a sour look, and walked out of the room. Any way, thanks again guys.
Thanks, I always wondered who my Single Six's previous owner was. Love a gun with some history behind it!:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,077 Posts
I've always agreed with Patton on that one. I much prefer stag or micarta or just wood.

Back on topic I switched the grips on my GP from the full size inserts to the compact inserts and they suit me much better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts