Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there's a Redhawk "convertible" now, that will shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP (with moon clips). How is this done, I mean, what are the chamber and cylinder specs, and could this be done with other models? Consider the GP100 as a "baby Redhawk", and think of the possibility of doing this conversion so 9mm can be fired in it, too, with moon clips. What about a 454/45 Colt/45ACP Toklat? :eek: mind;blown.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Variety is nice...especially when everything you can put in it has a 4 and a 5 in it! WOOT!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
They aren't convertibles. Nothing has to be converted. You just moon clip them and they'll take 45acp too. Convertible single actions actually have separate cylinders for 45acp to "convert" them back and forth.

A moon clipped 9mm/357mag GP100 will not work because the chambers are not suitably compatible.

What about a 454/45 Colt/45ACP Toklat? :eek: mind;blown.
One of my Toklat's is moon clipped. As is one of my 454 Alaskans. In 45acp, they are incredibly well behaved.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Varminterror is correct on the .357. The 9mm case is tapered so after converting the cylinder per Pinnacle on their moonclip conversions the .357 if fired in the chamber will expand and stick in the chamber. If one could obtain an extra cylinder then one could switch between the 9mm and the .357 one. Last one I saw for sale was $90 used and figuring Pinnacle wants $255 to machine for clips and rechamber for 9mm and then the cylinder needs to be fit to the gun could wind up costing $400 on an existing gun. If offered by Ruger on a new gun as an extra probably would cost less.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If offered by Ruger on a new gun as an extra probably would cost less.
But to switch the cylinder (assuming the extra included an extra crane), you'd have to take the gun pretty far apart. Grip, hammer/spring, and the remove the trigger housing to get the cyinder and crane assembly off. It's kind of hard to see Ruger encouraging people to do that on a regular basis with a DA convertible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang. Ok. Interesting, but impractical in medium bore. Apparently all you "starts with 4 and ends with 5!" people are on to something. I handled a Toklat last summer at Jay's in Claire, Mi. Liked it. A lot. Next handgun? Possibly. There are so many good (i.e. Ruger) choices, though.

·
Banned
308 Posts
They aren't convertibles. Nothing has to be converted. You just moon clip them and they'll take 45acp too. Convertible single actions actually have separate cylinders for 45acp to "convert" them back and forth.

A moon clipped 9mm/357mag GP100 will not work because the chambers are not suitably compatible.

One of my Toklat's is moon clipped. As is one of my 454 Alaskans. In 45acp, they are incredibly well behaved.
"

Varminterror will become famous soon enough They aren't convertibles. Nothing has to be converted. You just moon clip them and they'll take 45acp too. Convertible single actions actually have separate cylinders for 45acp to "convert" them back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbriggs57 View Post
What about a 454/45 Colt/45ACP Toklat? mind;blown.

One of my Toklat's is moon clipped. :

Can you say how much material was removed- from Toklat? does the modification still allow full boat heavy .454CA safely in your opinion? I would have no problem doing it to a .45C but the much higher .454 pressures had me thinking.

Thanks

Radio George

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A 9mm GP100 = cheap ammo, which people like. Gun Buyers like "cool factor" and with a sea of black plastic blocks on the market, something different is always good.

The Pinnacle conversion on a GP100 cylinder also allows for 9x23 and .38 Super for the 10 people out there that actually would use these:) I am getting a GP100 cylinder ready to ship to Mark at Pinnacle pending the sale of a couple guns, part of which will fund the conversion. I'm having a "beater" GP100 converted, because I plan to run probably a zillion rounds of cheap 9 through it and don't want to alter one of my nice ones. It will make a nice companion to my new 9mm Blackhawk.

If you were serious about a convertible GP100, you could have the existing cylinder cut for moonclipped 9mm, and then contact Ruger and ship the gun (less cylinder) to them and have them fit a .357 cylinder and crane.......for a price of course, I'm sure Ruger would hit you for $2-300 to fit a new cylinder-crane assembly. So, you could get a "Ruger Popper' tool, put a set of easy to remove Hogues on the GP100, and "convert" the gun back and forth within minutes. For the cost and effort, you might as well just leave it in 9mm, get an identical GP100, leave it in .357, and just have a "set" of two of them.......not like it's hard to find a GP100. Unless you live in a state where it's a PITA to buy a handgun like my former home of NJ, where a convertible truly would make a lot of sense..........here in PA it's just easier to buy more guns if you want different calibers:)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Can you say how much material was removed- from Toklat? does the modification still allow full boat heavy .454CA safely in your opinion? I would have no problem doing it to a .45C but the much higher .454 pressures had me thinking.
Fair question, and a good suggestion - let's do some thinking on this, the answer is really straightforward...

I gave this ONE thought before I sent my cylinders to be cut, and I never batted an eye about it since: How thick is the case web, and what is the moon clip groove exposing?

Moon clips are generally 25-40thousandths thick, often in the 0.032-0.038" ballpark.

If you subtract the rim, since the rim is unsupported anyway, the remaining case heads are generally 100-125 thousandths thick. Meaning if the case is pressed in and headspaced on the cylinder, theres' 100-125thou of solid brass case head supported within the chamber. My Magtech, Starline, and Hornady 454C brass all have ~125thou case heads, minus the rim.

100-125thou case head minus 40thou moon clip is still 60thou or more of fully supported case head.

In other words, the case wall is still fully supported even after the cylinder is cut to accept moon clips. The "exposed" portion of the case isn't case wall, it's still solid web. So it's a huge cross-section of brass supporting the chamber pressure.

Unless you're shooting old balloon head 45LC cases at 454C level pressures, you'll never see a case head separation or split wall/case just due to moon clipping.

It's 100% safe to fire full 65,000psi SAAMI compliant 454C loads in a moon clipped revolver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts