Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 feet, I know, not very far. But I was just trying to get some practice in with my new front sight and lighter trigger. Trigger felt GREAT and worked every time. If I throw out these two low ones I'm pretty happy with the rest of the group.

25 feet a little looser but still not bad, I don't think.

On both of the targets above I shot many of these rounds pretty quickly. This GP is a very comfortable gun to shoot pretty fast, I think. But I really had fun with my Marlin lever gun, you can check out those targets in the lever gun forum.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Shooting is fun, ain't it! Stay after it! One suggestion. Put up a plain white sheet of notebook paper with nothing but a black 3" dot in the center. At that distance, aim small, miss small. Your groups will shrink. Keep practicing up close and get comfortable with your abilities. As confidence grows, increase your distance.
Try some single action shooting as well. You will be amazed at just how accurate a 4" can be. Your confidence will continue to grow.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, this was double action, and not more than a couple seconds between shots. It is fun. And I do see improvement. But I know I have a long way to go!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ratgunner! I am going to try Deputy's suggestion next time and try just a small target on a sheet of paper. Maybe I'll miss smaller.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
EddieF, your doing great. on your first target it looked as if you were pulling the triger to the right meaning that as you squeezed the triger you pulled the gun to the right. That is normal for new shooters to do. and to correct this practise pulling the triger straight back. And of course practise will make those gruops smaller. Thanks for sharing your tragets with us we enjoy seeing your improvements. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Great shooting DA...put those hits on a torso target and you did the job---even with the low shots---Deputy125's target DA will prepare you for head shots across a room....I'd save SA for loooooonnng shots...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay boys. I'm going again today. My goal? Aim small, miss small. I got a pack of 3" stick-on targets and will put those on regular paper. I also brought my holster for the first time, I might as well give that a go, see what it's like to draw and shoot.

And Snuffy, I was doing some dry firing last night at the TV and, now that you've brought it to my attention, I can see that I do squeeze the gun to the right while pulling the trigger. So between working on that and trying really hard to aim small, I think I'll just keep things at 7 yards today and focus on those fundamentals.

·
Registered
46 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

My goal? Aim small, miss small. I got a pack of 3" stick-on targets

I'll just keep things at 7 yards today and focus on those fundamentals.

I'm totally new to centerfire handgun shooting, and I am also thinking "aim small-miss small". I'm also starting my learning curve at 7 yards.

A black aim-point 1.1" square is my bull. On white paper. I think 1.1" is real close to matching up to the width of the front iron sight on my .357 GP100, at 7 yds.

I shoot 5 shot groups, slowly, paying attention to the stuff that experienced shooters say I should concentrate on. Five shots per target, and I record all ammo data, date, conditions, etc etc on each tgt. as it's shot. I then save that target. It goes home with me.

These targets have already become a valuable source of info and history as I develop. I can see how I am progressing, and I can see where I am screwing up, and I can also see how my load development is evolving. Doing handload development while learning to shot a handgun, to me, is sorta a "walk and chew gum" thing......but I am making some headway.

I have 52 targets........which means I have recorded 52 each 5 shot groups......and just a few days ago shot my best group, which was .595", center-to-center. I have 11 groups, of the 52, that are under 1", c to c. Not great for 7 yards, but I am improving.....and at the same time, I am getting a couple of handloads developed that seem to be happy in my Ruger.

Please give us a report on your range session today.....and "Good shootin".....hope it goes well.

fjLee Denver Co.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I totally disagree that under 1" c to c for a five shot group at seven yards is "not great!" I think that's awesome!

When I took my class at the NRA range where I'm going today, we started with a smallish dot stuck on regular paper and I did pretty good (though nothing close to 1"!). Then he put the silhouette target up, much larger, and I couldn't see where the shots were going. He brought the target back and my "group" was much, much larger. Funny, you think you're still aiming at a single point, you know? But my stupid brain is overriding it, going, "hey it's a big fat torso, you can hit that easily!"

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
46 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Then he put the silhouette target up, much larger, and I couldn't see where the shots were going. He brought the target back and my "group" was much, much larger.

I've not yet done any torso/center-of-mass target shooting. I want to get a couple of good-grouping handloads developed first. Then I am gonna do some of that larger target stuff.

I view that prospect with some anxiety, cuz I am sure my shots will be ALL-OVER the place.......widely scattered. Another learning curve. But I need to do it, and do it a lot, as this .357 will eventually be used for home-defense.

Yesterday I replaced the OEM springs in my Ruger with slightly lighter ones from Wolff, have yet to fire the gun with the lighter springs. I am eager to do that. DA trigger-pull weight is now slightly under 10 pounds. I'm not experienced enough with revolvers to know whether or not it would be considered a "smooth" sub-10 pounds.........

fjLee Denver CO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts