Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a brand new GP100 .357 with the 4.25" barrel (?) He was complaining when he shot Wolf steel case he had to beat them out of the cylinder as they expanded to the chamber size and locked in.

When I was shooting the American Eagle was falling backwards with recoil and jamming the rotation. It did it with the Wolf too. You could actually turn it on end and the rounds would fall backwards.

I also noticed when you put the cylinder back into battery a couple of times there was a very minute click to place it all the way in. If not it would not fire.

Told him to contact Ruger and get a shipping label and send it back, not bother with the dealer as they would probably charge him+have to pay for another "Bad Guy Check."

I guess my Security Six is still running...............;):p

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
I had the same problem with steel ammunition in both my Taurus and GP-100 revolvers. I avoid steel like the plague, er, Coronavirus. Except for the AK, it was designed for steel.
Anyway, the empties had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod. To make sure I didn't twist up the revolver (especially the crane), I was very careful to make sure the back of the cylinder was firmly supported on a table top with only the hole I was working on in space so the empty case could come out.

I did a little test on my GP-100 with some dummy rounds. They fit very loosely in the cylinder and slide back when I point the gun up. But, the metal parts on the frame behind the cylinder push the rounds back into the cylinder with no binding as I operated the gun in double action mode while pointed up.
I admit that actually firing the gun introduces a little more to the situation, but the gun did work as expected even with the dummy rounds sliding around in there.

I'm wondering if the jamming on rotation started before or after the adventure with the steel ammo. If the cylinder is not square to the rest of the gun, or out of alignment even by a little bit, it might cause it to jam up.

Anyway, sounds like something the Ruger service folks will need to correct, which they seem to do as a matter of course.

Here's hoping the GP-100 is back soon, happy and healthy, and ready to blast away.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
IF you point the pistol to the sky of course the rounds will slide back.

Reactions: rkcohen

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
I deeply doubt that there is anything wrong with that GP. I have a GP and two SP's. I use fully-resized reloaded ammo, and all three revolvers allow the rounds to slide back when "pointed to the sky". I do not use any steel-case ammo. I don't normally have any reason to operate the revolver when it is pointed vertically, but I just tested them and they all functioned correctly when I did so. The "little click" is the cylinder latch, which is normal. If there is a problem using steel-case ammo, stop using it. It has been discussed and cursed often enough here and elsewhere.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I deeply doubt that there is anything wrong with that GP.
Sure there is. If recoil is causing the shells to slide back? No big deal. If it's stopping the cylinder from rotating? Yes it's a big problem if you want to use it for a self defense gun.

Okay just drop some shells in my S6. Yes they slide back. No they don't cause a jam. Maybe the cylinder is short? His jams up on the left side at between 7 and 8 o'clock.

Just shooting it, it jams. The American Eagle HP's slide backwards and jam the gun. That can't be normal. It's unacceptable. Not my gun. I would like to have another .357, S&W's service and quality sucks lately. I would much rather have a Ruger.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sure there is. If recoil is causing the shells to slide back? No big deal. If it's stopping the cylinder from rotating? Yes it's a big problem if you want to use it for a self defense gun.

Okay just drop some shells in my S6. Yes they slide back. No they don't cause a jam. Maybe the cylinder is short? His jams up on the left side at between 7 and 8 o'clock.

Just shooting it, it jams. The American Eagle HP's slide backwards and jam the gun. That can't be normal. It's unacceptable. Not my gun. I would like to have another .357, S&W's service and quality sucks lately. I would much rather have a Ruger.
Sounds like the revolver is working fine other than feeding it crappy steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Read the posts several times. Seems like the Wolf ammo stuck
in the cylinder so they were pounded out and possibly bending
slightly the crane/yoke (a reason not to flip cylinder in and out
Hollywood style as an added point though I don't think that was
done).

So the damage was done and the Eagle ammo at 7/8 o'clock also
jammed rotation.

With empty chambers, rotate the cylinder slowly and perhaps give
it a spin or two also. Does it look like it's not in true axis? If so,
a new crane/yoke needs to be fitted. That "click" at lockup might
be the telltale sign the yoke/crane isn't smoothly locking into place.

Remember on buying ammo, the cheapest isn't always the best
way to go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If he diddles around about sending it back, I will be back down there next week and get some pics.

You may have something with the crane being bent.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh, as another check for out of line cylinder, rotate
the empty cylinder in the closed position. Might be able to
tell that it's canted off axis at that 7/8 position.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,660 Posts
Nothing boggles my mind like people buying expensive guns and feeding them crappy ammo. If this GP was damaged by the owner "pounding" steel cases out of the cylinder I have little sympathy. Would you buy an Aston Martin and put 87 octane unleaded in the tank? Or use Dollar General generic 10W-30 for an oil change? Of course not! But spend $800.00 on a revolver and then decide Remington, Winchester, Federal, and Hornady are just too expensive to shoot. Amazing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Steel case in revolvers almost always needs help ejecting. Steel fire forms but does not rebound so they stick.
Did your buddy support he cylinder while he tried to get the steal cases out? If not then a bent yoke etc as discussed above may be at fault. All rounds will slide back before they get fired as they all have a slightly smaller in demension.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
About the recoil situation: the gun will recoil back, before the cartridges will. Thus, the cases will not be moving to the rear, causing a jam.
If the crane is bent (from pounding), that is something quite serious. Hope Ruger ignores the misuse and repairs it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If steel cases cause problems, don't use steel case ammo. If you want cheap ammo, reload brass cases. If you shoot enough the reloading equipment will be paid for.

Revolvers are strong firearms, but the weak spot on a DA revolver is the yoke. If you can't extract cases with the slap of your hand, do not beat on the extractor, support the cylinder and knock them out, one at a time, with a wooden dowl and hammer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Since it sounds like both steel cased ammo and American Eagle (brass) ammo caused the cylinder to bind, I would send the gun back to Ruger to get it fixed. There may be tool/machine marks inside the cylinder chambers that are rough spots. These can cause the cartridge cases to get stuck when they expand when being fired. That may be the culprit. Smoothing or polishing the cylinder chambers may help to alleviate it. But, I would make Ruger fix it by sending that GP100 back to them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My son bought me Wolf steel 357 a while back because he doesn't know much about ammo so I thought I'd try them out. In my 6" GP100 (1707) they were difficult to extract. I didn't have to beat them out but it took extra pushing. They were a little less difficult to remove from my SP101. They come right out of my MC GP100.

Shot the two boxes and have never used them again. I do, however, shoot the heck out of steel case 9MM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You used the two types/brands of ammo that I have only bought once because of all the trouble I had with them, Steel and American Eagle. Different calibers, semi autos but lots of jams in guns that normally run perfect. I would try different ammo before sending back. I have a .357 GP100 and have never had any problems with several different brands, not super expensive stuff either. Currently working my way through some new load .357 and reload .38 from Freedom Ammo.

Ruger has great customer service, if it is a faulty gun they will fix the problem. If your friend bent something, not sure it will be free.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My experience with revolvers has been limited. I have a Security 6, and a 8 shot .22 revolver that cost $12.50-$20.00 new. I shot revolvers in high school. Mostly Hi-Standard single action .22's.

Never had a problem in any semi auto's I've owned. Right now finding ammo is a problem at times.

I know of one shooter that had the end of the brass case on some Perfecta come off and stay in the chamber. I have some of that in SP, and some SJHP from Remington from Walmart that Remington probably doesn't make anymore.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts