Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do you guys think about a trigger assembly that fits snug at the front (forward of the trigger) but has a slight gap at the back(by the grip) is that most likely a poor assembly job or could it be more serious? p.s. just to be clear Im talking about the parting line between the trigger assembly and the frame. thanks

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I understand your description. Just how big is that slight gap? Gotta photo?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I know I have not pushed the trigger group in all the way once or twice. I had to pull it back out and re-seat it.
+1 on this. I had an SP101 (same trigger group design) that I had to sand down the face of the frame mating surface where the trigger/latch spring hole is in order to fully insert the group back into the frame. Often the factory leaves this surface slightly long making it very difficult to seat the trigger group tight and close the gap. Have you had the trigger group out or are you looking at a gun someone else may have taken apart?

Post a photo if you can - it would help to see what you're looking at.

Wave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Im looking at a gun someone else took apart. As far as how wide the gap is, I'de say less than the thickness of a aluminum can. My main concern is if that is a sign something inside is broken and to stay away from that gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Im looking at a gun someone else took apart. As far as how wide the gap is, I'de say less than the thickness of a aluminum can. My main concern is if that is a sign something inside is broken and to stay away from that gun.
Kali - Does the gun cycle normally if you dry fire it (slowly please - no reason to see how fast you can do this!)? If all appears to function normally in DA and SA I would bet the trigger group is just not seated back in fully. This can be difficult on SP and GP revolvers when the factory leaves the face of the frame mating surface a tad long. That's not a big deal and easy to fix.

Understand I'm saying this without seeing a picture or handling the gun - take it for what it's worth.

If you are looking to buy this gun you may be able to point out the issue and negotiate a better price. And rest assured Ruger will always be there to support you should you need any service.

Good luck!

Wave

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This condition occurs often when there is a burr or dirt built up in the forward "hook" area of the trigger guard and also where it mates with the rest of the frame. If that hook is not fully inserted then the radiuses will be off and the rearward portion of the trigger guard will look like it has a gap. Not usually a Ruger problem but an assembly one or maintenance. For as many Ruger's as I've owned over the years and still to this day own, I myself run into that every now and again. I simply remove the trigger guard and reinsert it again watching what I'm doing to get it right. Smithy.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Carefully inspect (sharp edges) & clean the mating surfaces then when ya think it`s in place give the asm a rap with a suitable tool to fully seat it & the latch in place .

Note : If to lite a trigger spring has been installed this gap will happen under recoil ,as the spring is`nt strong enuff to keep the plunger tite . Also degreasing the plunger will help keep it in place .

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My very first handguns (both on the same day) when I turned 21 were a Ruger Security Six and a Ruger Redhawk. So I guess I've had more practice with those type of fits, but I started out shooting both with an improper fitting trigger guard. Next one I messed up was their MK I pistol. I almost destroyed one trying my darndest to get it apart and worse yet trying to get it back together.

One I still have trouble with (and Ruger's video makes me sick how easy they show it to be) is their Vaquero's and single actions. When I shot SASS I had four Ruger Bisley Vaquero's since I was shooting 45lc, black powder loads. If the match went on for so long the guns would eventually get gummed up and rather than having to stop to fix the problem, I'd just grab another fresh pair and keep on a shooting. I put Brownells pack of Wolff springs in each Bisley and two, especially one of those two, gave me fits for I don't know how long. I always had problems getting the bolt stop spring and plunger lined up before putting the grip frame on? Why? I have no clue as I've seen others who knew pop them apart and back together in mere minutes (as in replacing a transfer bar (when that part was a problem). Best of luck to you and remember, do do words don't help (unless you've hurt yourself). Smithy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Look For Metal Shards or Burrs

The same thing happened to me the first time I took apart my GP-100. The culprit was a shard of metal, near the "hook" area that the trigger assembly pivots on. I was able to clear it with a Q-Tip. The parts fit together correctly now. Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts