Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new gp100 that I’ve spent this morning trying to get the trigger assembly out of with no luck. I have changed springs in several Rugers and never had this problem before. The release pin will push in but I cannot get the assembly to release from the frame. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, I ran into this issue on my GP. Take a punch and line it up with the release pin through the back of the grip peg and use a plastic mallet (or other solid object) to tap the back of the punch. Don't "hammer" it, but try giving it a few solid taps. Mine was in there really snug and required some coercion to break free. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had one that was a bear when new. I just put a drop of gun oil and held the gun so it would get where there was friction between the frame and the pin and then the assembly came right out when I pressed it with my punch. It was just some stiction between the parts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had one that was a bear when new. I just put a drop of gun oil and held the gun so it would get where there was friction between the frame and the pin and then the assembly came right out when I pressed it with my punch. It was just some stiction between the parts.
Thanks but this thing is tight. I can’t get it to budge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Concur with putting a few drops of CLP on the release pin area. It's awkward to do with only two hands and somewhat difficult to articulate. I held the gun upside-down in my left hand with the muzzle pointed downward and held the punch in place with my fingers (largest punch that will fit through the grip peg). My right hand held the plastic mallet. In retrospect, it took a couple of fairly good wacks with the mallet to get the trigger group to budge.

Also, be sure that when you hold the gun, you aren't grasping any part of the trigger guard/group. It sounds obvious, but let's just say that on my first couple of attempts I may have been "fighting myself."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Yin. My three yr old grandson is here now so I will have to wait a bit to get back into it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, I ran into this issue on my GP. Take a punch and line it up with the release pin through the back of the grip peg and use a plastic mallet (or other solid object) to tap the back of the punch. Don't "hammer" it, but try giving it a few solid taps. Mine was in there really snug and required some coercion to break free. Hope that helps.
Same trick I had to use on one of my GP's

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I had a GP that was also stuck. In my case the problem was not getting the plunger to go in but that the assembly was forcefully wedged into the frame. I have a Ruger Popper tool so used it to hold the plunger in and inserted a nylon punch through the hammer slot to put pressure on the trigger assembly and gave it a couple of taps with a hammer. After getting it out I took a stone to the surfaces on the end of the plunger and mating surface in the frame and polished so it would go in and out easier. I have done this to other Rugers I have, too.

·
Dr. Frankenruger
11,749 Posts
Yet if you watch the Ruger videos the guy has no problems whatsoever...GP100, SRH, Redhawk, SP101... the trigger group just pops right out and snaps right back in.

Some of them have a crush fit and were assembled by an 800 pound gorilla. I've had to carefully stone down and ease the fit a touch on a few really tough ones.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a GP that was also stuck. In my case the problem was not getting the plunger to go in but that the assembly was forcefully wedged into the frame. I have a Ruger Popper tool so used it to hold the plunger in and inserted a nylon punch through the hammer slot to put pressure on the trigger assembly and gave it a couple of taps with a hammer. After getting it out I took a stone to the surfaces on the end of the plunger and mating surface in the frame and polished so it would go in and out easier. I have done this to other Rugers I have, too.
I can push the plunger in but cannot get the assembly to move. I changed the main spring and the trigger actually feels pretty good but I will get back into it and finish the job I hope.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I can push the plunger in but cannot get the assembly to move. I changed the main spring and the trigger actually feels pretty good but I will get back into it and finish the job I hope.
That definitely sounds like the assembly by the 800 lb Gorilla Waveform referenced. If you use a punch use one with a flat end that is fairly large so as to not fracture the housing when lightly tapping out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the advice but my LGS got a HK in that I’ve really been wanting so off it went. I have plenty of revolvers so the GP was expendable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice but my LGS got a HK in that I’ve really been wanting so off it went. I have plenty of revolvers so the GP was expendable.
What sort of HK did you pick up? I have an affinity for certain HKs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my last Match Champion, the trigger assembly housing was incredibly difficult to remove, and had a gap I did not like.
The problem was the fit between the rear part of the trigger assembly housing and the frame. Rough spots, irregular areas. Had to use a marker pen, Dremel and stones to fix it.
It was difficult.
Now it fits, and is easy to pop out.

It raised a question in my mind - during the assembly and adjustments, how many times was the trigger assembly removed? Once, maybe twice?
The person doing the work must have felt the force needed, and seen the gap!

When I work on an action, I take I apart and assemble it many times.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got a USPc 45. My LGS has had a time finding one for me but one he ordered in Jan came in.
Ah, excellent choice. I have a friend who has carried one for years, and I've shot it many times. That's a great pistol. I had an HK45c for a while, but have since moved on to the P30.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Concur with putting a few drops of CLP on the release pin area. It's awkward to do with only two hands and somewhat difficult to articulate. I held the gun upside-down in my left hand with the muzzle pointed downward and held the punch in place with my fingers (largest punch that will fit through the grip peg). My right hand held the plastic mallet. In retrospect, it took a couple of fairly good wacks with the mallet to get the trigger group to budge.

Also, be sure that when you hold the gun, you aren't grasping any part of the trigger guard/group. It sounds obvious, but let's just say that on my first couple of attempts I may have been "fighting myself."
Funny you should mention that! My experience exactly! :eek: After a few times, mine goes back together much easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts